FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Casting for Harry Potter 5

Author Topic: Casting for Harry Potter 5
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I was rereading the last few books -- every new movie does that to me -- and it occurred to me that I knew the perfect actress to play Dolores Umbridge: Dame Judi Dench.

Now I can't picture the character as anyone else...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
She's not quite... toadlike enough for me.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, my mom said the exact same thing last week. And I replied as imogen did! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, she could be. Picture her in the awful hat, with her downturned expression...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Maybe. I always pictured Umbridge as younger - more mid-50s.

(How old is Dame Judi, anyhow?)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see Judi Dench as Umbridge.

I mean come on, she plays M! She's too cool. I can't see her playing that big a biatch.

You need an actress that can play a character that is really easy to hate.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she could do bitchy extremely well. She does pretty much everything extremely well, when it comes to acting.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i think The Grande Dame would be SUPERB as Umbridge.

I saw her as Lady Macbeth where she was so completely reptilian -- i'd imagine playing a toad-like creature would be too much of a stretch [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she'd be a good Umbridge.

In other HP5 discussion: What scene are you most looking forward to seeing in the movie? For me it has to be the Weasley twins premature graduation.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How much you want to bet they will cut that scene out?
Man, I am so DISILLUSIONED with these movies.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo. way to kill the mood.

Here I was, reading and thinking: yeah, that'll be an absolutely awesome scene to watch. Then along comes Synesthesia's post. which is a very good point by the way. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it out, but somehow I think they won't.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
They can't cut it out, they must know it's the ONE scene we've all been waiting to see on film since Book 5 came out. It would cause a rebellion.

As for Umbridge, I'm trying to remember the name of the actress who plays Hyacinth in "Keeping Up Appearances". I thought she'd be good in that role. I can just see her in a pink cardigan with a bow on her head, with that sickly sweet voice saying those vile things....

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not disillusioned with the movies, because I never thought they were all that great. The third and fourth are almost standalone movies in their own rights, but they still play more like illustrations to complement that book than a full story in their own right.

I think the Weasley's mischief will get decent screentime in #5, and I have a perfectly cynical reason for that belief. Order of the Phoenix was a very talky book with the only real action concentrated at the end. What are the good visuals from this book? Grimwald Place will be a good spooky setpiece, it's in. The duels in the Department of Mysteries are exciting, they're in. Things like the Weasley fireworks and swamp are cool visuals that can be done very quickly, so they're in.

Now, they may not give that particular scene time to do it justice, but I'm hoping they do.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Forget Dame Judi as M, think of her as the woman from "Chocolat," only with frillier clothes.
imogen
Member # 5485

While she's still not the actress I see in the role (I'm not sure who is though [Smile] ) she is a great actor and would do a marvellous job.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The twins have been getting consistently better screen time every movie, and they are incredible in OotP. It would be a shame to waste that.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Imelda Staunton (who's actually playing the part) will be fabulous.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
I had been thinking Judi Dench would make a great Umbridge too. Either her or the lady from "Murder Most Horrid".
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Judi Dench would be great. I know they're mostly casting Brits, but how about Anjelica Houston?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

They can't cut that scene out, it's a huge moment in the book... that'd be like cutting out the business with the Quidditch World Cup in book/movie #4 (which they didn't do, although they did cut it a bit short).
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
Member # 7565

- posted      Profile for HandEyeProtege           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the same thing about the twins' irreverent departure from Hogwarts--it was the one scene I wanted to see more than any other in the movie. Then I realized that what I love most about it is the line "Give 'er hell for us, Peeves!" and the poltergeist's unprecedented salute. It brought tears of mirth to my eyes.

Without Peeves, even if the scene is in there is no way they can do it justice. And THAT also brings tears to my eyes.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes! It's practically the only place in book 5 where I wasn't vaugely dissapointed with it! They must put in "Give 'er hell from us, Peeves" , or I will boycott.

And no one will notice, but I'll feel better.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to imagine they will cut a lot of Umbridge. They can't cut her totally, she's in too much of the book. But all those little things take up time, and the book is already so long that just getting the main plot elements into the movie is going to be a challenge.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Lyrhawn...IMO plot-wise not a lot seemed happening in book 5. To me it seemed like it dragged on and was quite repetitive. I can't even call it character development--it didn't seem like a lot of that was going on either. I thought they did a superb job with #4, and I expect the same effective condensing yet pandering to the book fans that I enjoyed about GofF to be in the next movie
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
But then again, they did almost completely cut Rita Skeeter, so yoiu may be on the mark.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for GoF

They also didn't have Harry giving the twins the Triwizard winnings either, though, so how they're going to pay for the shop is kind of a mystery now.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to assume that's why they made a point of showing the twins doing bets at everything and having stacks of money.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, Megan, I was wondering about that...
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
C ome to think of it, no, she doesn't have that high cute irratating voice...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.