FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christmas dinner being crashed, Stuffing help needed! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christmas dinner being crashed, Stuffing help needed!
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I have been planning to have a quiet Christmas day. Just us and the kids. We are getting together on Christmas Eve with her two brothers who will be in town and we thought that was it for family events until new years.

Today, one of my wifes brothers decided that we need to have Christmas dinner together. That's fine I guess, we were planning a quiet Christmas day but I guess that won't happen now (they have 4 kids, 3 of whom are quite active and loud). We love them though and don't have a problem sharing our holiday with them. It will be good to share our afternoon and a meal.

Here is the biggest problem that has arisen. My wife and I don't stuff our turkey in a traditional manner. I like stuffing and all, but I prefer to stuff a turkey with lemons and herbs (usually rosemary) finding that it makes the meat more moist and the smells and flavor are amazing. So we usually just use stove top stuffing which I admit isn't up to par with real stuffing but it is a passable substitute for me. Apparently it is not alright with her Brother and his family. They offered to make the stuffing and then we could just stuff the bird with that.

Here is the situation I find myself in. I want to stuff the turkey my way with the lemons and rosemary but I also want to cook their stuffing. I know that you can cook the stuffing outside of the bird but I don't know the best way to do it. Do I just make pouches of foil and stick it in the oven along with the turkey or is there more to it? Do I need to add something to keep it moist? Or am I being too stubborn and should I just stuff the turkey and use my lemons for something else?

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My mother-in-law always cooks her stuffing in a casserole dish, covered with tin foil, I think. I can't remember the last time I had stuffing that was actually cooked inside the turkey. I personally would not want to eat it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that once you try crockpot stuffing, you never go back. You can also bake the stuffing and pour a couple of cans of chicken broth over it to keep it moist. Personally, I like half of the stuffing cooked in the turkey, half out, and then tossed together, but to each his own. My mom's family always bakes the stuffing out of the bird, and I always end up eating too much anyway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I never bake my stuffing in the bird. Usually someone else in my family makes the turkey and I make the dressing so they (the dressing and the turkey) are never together until we get to the table. Here is my recipe:

7 slices oven-dried white bread cut into cubes
1 sleeve saltine crackers crushed
8 tablespoons butter
2 cups celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
7 cups chicken stock (I use canned)
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sage
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (I usually use a little more of these spices)
5 eggs, beaten
4 boxes of Jiffy cornbread, made according to the directions, crumbled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, dried white bread slices, and saltines; set aside.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat (or in the microwave). Add the celery and onion and cook until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes (be sure to FULLY cook the celery or it will never get cooked all the way, ok if you like crunchy celery but I don't). Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture. Add the stock, mix well, taste, and add salt, pepper to taste, sage, and poultry seasoning (this is VERY runny, don't worry). Add beaten eggs and mix well. Pour mixture into a well greased pan and bake until dressing is cooked through, about 45 minutes.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

And I say, it is your house and they invited themselves so you should cook the turkey any way you want. Lemons and rosemary sound wonderful! I am tackling next year's turkey so maybe I will try that. Good luck!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
On recipezaar, we also had a discussion about faking in the bird stuffing. The consensus was, put it in a corningware dish, add a little extra liquid, and top it with chicken wings before baking. It should come out more like in-the-bird stuffing that way. (Just remembered that, sorry.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
And I say, it is your house and they invited themselves so you should cook the turkey any way you want. Lemons and rosemary sound wonderful! I am tackling next year's turkey so maybe I will try that. Good luck!

That's pretty much how I feel. I really reccomend trying the rosemary with lemons stuffed inside the bird. The flavor is amazing and the meat is so moist and juicy. I usually baste the turkey with butter and put fresh ground pepper and some of the rosemary on the outside as well.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
An alternative to chicken stock, if you have the time to do it, is to take the neck and giblets of the turkey and boil them with onion and poultry spices for an hour or so. I like to use this for the liquid in oven stuffing, and also in the gravy.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you can bake the stuffing in muffin tins. I watch FoodTV too much and they discussed how putting the stuffing in the bird is very bad, and that stuffing it with herbs and stuff is much better. Rachael Ray did the stuffing in the muffin tins, it looked really good, and was pre-portioned.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister bakes stuffing in a pan with some turkey drumsticks on top, to give the stuffing the "cooked inside the bird" taste.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
My sister bakes stuffing in a pan with some turkey drumsticks on top, to give the stuffing the "cooked inside the bird" taste.

Another advantage would be that all the kids get their own drumsticks!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, you mean that not only do people eat drumsticks, but that children in particular like them? Seriously?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Depends on the age of the kids. A turkey drumstick is pretty darned big. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My husband loves turkey drumsticks. Especially the barbequed ones you get at fairs. [Roll Eyes]
Ela
Member # 1365

I love turkey drumsticks, too.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
At Thanksgiving, we had the whole family -- about 30 of us. And the first-grade-and-under-set (well, the ones old enough for real food) each got their own turkey drumstick. You never saw such delighted kids. An 18-month toddler hefting a turkey drumstick almost as large as his head and loving it down was the inspiration for every grown up to run for the camera.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma would so do that.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sacrilege alert>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
There, you were warned.
We prefer Stovetop stuffing. I have had many a stuffing in my day, but nary a one has come close to Stovetop.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Stovetop is pretty tasty, as long as it has been doctored properly. Adding sauteed onions and celery to it makes all the difference. The main problem is that a box of Stovetop doesn't make anywhere near enough stuffing for me.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Agreed. We make four boxes for the family.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mandy. It's your house, you and your wife are cooking. If you're accustomed to StoveTop, then they get StoveTop. And if it's that much of a dealbreaker for the extended family, then maybe they'll think twice about inviting themselves. (evil grin)

Seriously, I don't recommend going through extra hoops to make something out of your comfort zone for the very first time when you have a large gathering expecting it. StoveTop that you know well and won't mess up is infinitely better than crunchy "never made this before" mess. (ask me how I know? LOL). That's the number one reason I won't make mashed potataoes from scratch despite repeated requests from one family member. I know Potato Buds, and I'm feeding you. When you cook, you can make your homemade mashies. So there! [Smile]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The recipes for crockpot stuffing I linked to did look pretty good. There's even a home-made one or two-- but I'll betcha if you cooked the Stovetop that way, they wouldn't know what hit them. [Wink]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.
Another option is simply to make the Stovetop stuffing and say nothing about it being Stovetop stuffing.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister (whom I adore) did a change up on the stuffing this year. I was deprived of my apple and raisin stuffing for the first time ever.

It inspired me to go out and make my own %#@& turkey with my own #$%* stuffing and it turned out just great. So there. I am now longer stuffing dependent.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Oh, I've made stuffing before and I think I've even done the half in the bird and half out. I just can't remember how we cooked the stuff that wasn't in the turkey in the past. I think we went with a casserole dish with foil overtop.

We don't have a crockpot (we used to have a little two person one but we got rid of that when our family grew to 4) so we won't be trying that method this year. We won't actually be making the stuffing anyways, just cooking it.

I also don't mind cooking the stuffing as they have offered to basically bring all the vegetables as well as a dessert. I just don't want to give up my way of making the turkey as we only have it once a year.

I am only accustomed to Stove Top in the sense that I don't want to sacrifice stuffing the turkey with lemons. I prefer real stuffing to Stove Top in most cases.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a place that you can order stuffing from? My mom gets stuffing and things from a local store (actually, I think it's a department store) that gives it to you in aluminum tins, and all you have to do is reheat it.

They have some tasty stuffing, too.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Another option is to order pizza and do your own Christmas dinner your way after they leave <kidding> [Big Grin]

That crockpot stuffing does sound good.

Goody has a good point about not cooking something new. I usually try my new recipes on someone first in case of a blowout. I have been in that situation too, either on the cooking or the eating end of things. My great-aunt's banana pudding was the worst concoction I can imagine a few Thanksgivings ago; there is no way she practiced first or had made that before!

And I like Stovetop too but for a crowd, my recipe is just as easy and is much cheaper. Enough Stovetop to feed as many people as you'll have can't be cheap.

[posted before I read your latest post]

Tell them that the turkey is your show and they can do everything else their way. Just add more broth to the stuffing and put it in a casserle dish. I don't use foil but that is because I like the crunchy topping.

solo
Member # 3148

Crunchy topping may be a plus. It sounds like it would be good. I think I will try that.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Aluminum foil gives you crunchy stuffing on the bottom, if you've cooked it long enough. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

But, I agree with everyone else. Especially if your kids (and theirs) are eating the food. They are much more sensitive to food poisoning (in my experience, or at least, they get much sicker than adults) and you don't want anyone getting sick. You shouldn't be cooking stuffing in a turkey these days anyway. Where have they been for the last 2 decades?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

whines...

But it's good that way. Mixed half and half ('cuz you can't fit all of it into one turkey).

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, you mix it half and half to get enough and also so it's just the right mix of moist and dry! And if you cook it to the proper temperature, it's totally safe. You just have to make sure that the stuffing as well as the bird reaches the right temp.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Have you ever over cooked the turkey to make sure the stuffing was done enough?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No. I sear the outside at high heat first, then roast on low, after brining. Perfect, juicy bird and perfectly done stuffing every time.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
We tried not stuffing the turkey 10 years ago, and would never, never, never stuff one again. The stuffing has to get the moisture from somewhere. It comes from the Turkey!!. That means the moisture is not in the Turkey anymore. That means you are trying to look excited about eating dry Turkey.
Lemons and Rosemary would be good. A leafy stalk of Celery works too. But, never stuffing!

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I like slightly overcooked turkey! Dry is good! (I am also good with the moisture level of half and half.)
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I am ruining my chances of ever being invited to a Hatrack potluck.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Stovetop with onions, celery, candied pecans, some pineapple juice and cranberries added. Yumm.. I rarely eat turkey or ham at a holiday meal. I'm all about the sides!
Though, lemon and rosemary flavored turkey does sound good.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you brine the turkey, stuffing seriously doesn't dry it out. Especially if you put enough moisture in the stuffing.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with the turkey drying out even with it stuffed - everyone loves my turkey because it's, well, perfect. [Smile]

I always make extra stuffing that I cook outside, but that's because everyone I know are stuffing pigs. I cook them in foil packets with the giblets and whatnot added, although I do like the idea of getting extra turkey drumsticks and adding those. [Smile] But then, in my family & extended family, everyone pigs out on dark meat. And fights over who gets the drumstick.

But yeah, I'm with the others. It's your house. Do what you want. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I'm going to have to try that crockpot stuffing, since we'll be having duck instead of turkey for Christmas. The stuffing at Thanksgiving wasn't very good, so my craving was not relieved. I've got a fairly large crockpot; I bet I could make a lot of stuffing in it.

--Mel

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
We do stuffing outside the bird too, and it works great! I'll give you my recipe.

2 loaves white and 1 loaf whole wheat bread from pepperidge farms, dried (in the oven on cookie sheets at 200 degrees F) and broken into chunks, approximately 6 chunks per slice.
2 9" x 9" cake pans of cornbread (don't use sweet cornbread).
6 large sweet onions, chopped.
2 bunches of celery, chopped, about 15 stalks.
2 sticks margarine.
8 eggs plus water to make 4 cups.
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of pepper
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning

The day before:

Break up bread and cornbread into a very large bowl. The bread should be dry enough that it's tough, and scratchy on the outside, but not crispy all through like toast.
Stir the eggs up in the water in a pitcher.
Saute onions and celery in margarine over high heat in a very large pot for 5 or 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent.
Add bread mixture about 1/3 at a time, alternating with egg mixture and spices. Stir constantly with a huge spoon to keep from burning on bottom. It helps to recruit someone with strong arms to stir, as it's pretty heavy and thick. Turn the heat down to medium or medium-low for this stage. Not all the egg mixture will be needed. You don't want to let it get too wet. Individual bits of bread should still be recognizable, giving it a good texture, but making it tender. Don't put so much liquid in that you make it one homogeneous blob. Stir this stuff on the stovetop for maybe 5 -7 minutes until it's well-mixed and steamy throughout. Then put it in the big bowl, cover it, and leave it in the fridge overnight.

The day of the meal:

Put dressing into two 9"x13" flat pyrex casserole dishes, or something else rather flattish. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour, uncovered, basting with turkey gravy during cooking, if desired. Serve with lots of turkey gravy.

This makes enough to feed a large group of people, perhaps 20 - 24. You can make smaller batches if your group is not that big. The high heat while sauteing is basically because there's so much stuff (onions, celery, margarine) that it's hard to get it all good and hot. If you have a smaller recipe, you would probably do better with medium high heat.

Edit: Adjusted a bit to what I actually do, from paying attention while I did it, (if that makes sense). [Smile]

[ December 24, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wise words from Alton Brown:

quote:
tuffing increases mass. Mass extends cooking time. By the time enough heat gets into the stuffing to cook it and render it safe, the turkey, or a good portion of it, will be overcooked. You want to cook a turkey as fast as you can to minimize juice loss, and the fastest way is without stuffing it. So make stuffing, save your drippings, and stuff it in something else to cook it. Just don't cook it in the turkey. You could cook the stuffing separately and put it in the turkey after the turkey is cooked, or you can definitely take the bird out of the oven and put the stuffing in then. But don't add too much salt to the stuffing, because there will be a good deal of salt coming out a brined turkey, and the drippings will be on the salty side. So take the turkey out of the roasting pan, toss your dressing in the drippings, stuff it in the turkey while it rests, and then take it to the table. Stuffing is only evil when it's stuffing. If it's dressing, it's fine.
I think the key advice is use the drippings!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

This has inspired me to make dressing for Christmas dinner. I wonder if I can cut down the amount to about half? We don't have quite the hordes to feed this year as usual. [Razz]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

If it's the apple and raisin kind, you are welcome to UPS the leftovers to me.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
This has inspired me to make dressing for Christmas dinner. I wonder if I can cut down the amount to about half? We don't have quite the hordes to feed this year as usual. [Razz]

Buy the whole fresh turkey, and have the butcher guy cut it in half for you. Alton Brown and Julia Child and that crowd will tell you that this is the simplest thing to do in your own kitchen. They are lying.

Use one half (I lean towards the left wing, but that's just me) for your dinner, the other can be frozen.

Plonk your stuffing in your roasting pan and lay the half turkey (skin up) on top. Or cook it separately, see what I care.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I usually modify recipes to use whole package amounts of every ingredient that's perishable. That way I don't waste any leftover ingredients, since I rarely cook, and can't eat much of most things. At the store I went ahead and bought enough ingredients for the full batch.

So here's the conundrum. Do I make the whole recipe, and only take 1/2 to Christmas dinner with me, leaving the other half behind to tempt me? Or do I only make half and waste the remaining ingredients? Maybe I should make the whole batch and give the second half to my sister-in-law who loves it.

I need to recruit a stirrer, too. This is how I learned to make dressing, one of my favorite dishes of all times, by being a stirrer and watching my mom make it year after year. Anyone with strong arms going to be in the Birmingham, AL area Saturday afternoon and want to come be a stirrer and apprentice dressing chef? You get to eat as much dressing as you like. We don't bind the mouths of the kine around here. [Smile]

MandyM
Member # 8375

I just had to share this since you have relatives trying to set the menu at your house.

My mother-in-law, who is just indescribable, told me I should just serve bologna and bread for Christmas dinner. I told her that when we went to her house, we could have bologna but when she came to my house, I was going to cook.

I think she is commenting on the fact that I served a traditional Thanksgiving meal for our small family (just me and my husband and daughter, my parents, and her and her husband). At that meal she kept slapping her husband's hand every time he used his cloth napkin, telling him they were just for show and she went to get him a paper napkin out of the kitchen. Then she ate her turkey leg like a cave man and told my wide-eyed toddler, who had cut up turkey with gravy, that eating with her hands makes things taste better. It took us three days to convince her to use her fork again. After dinner, she announced to the family that she had to go outside to smoke and fart.

And she is coming again for Christmas. Solo, I feel for you; I really do.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
After dinner, she announced to the family that she had to go outside to smoke and fart.

What a considerate guest!
MandyM
Member # 8375

Well I thought so. The last time she was there with just me and my husband, she just lifted her leg to do it. She thinks it is funny. She keeps asking when my 2-year-old will be old enough to spend the night at her house. Maybe when she is 18.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.