FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hyperspace Drive?

Author Topic: Hyperspace Drive?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Read all about it!

Apologies to those of you who have already seen this thread on Sakeriver, but this is just too potentially cool not to share it both places.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
How credible is that?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll believe it when I see it. But if something moves faster than light, seeing it would be difficult...

The main problem I see is that this device is based on an unproved theory as to the structure of the fabric of the universe. Also, what indication is there that in this supposed alternate dimension, the speed of light is higher than it is here?
As a fan of SF in it's many forms, I have to believe that there will someday be faster than light travel, but I think it's a few years off.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Please oh please oh please!

That's my reaction to reading this article: Please let this work!

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpie:
Please oh please oh please!

That's my reaction to reading this article: Please let this work!

Mine too, but I suspect that the chances of this working are almost nonexistant.

Even if they can move to some other dimension, and even if the speed of light is faster there, it doesn't really help us in the new future. It's not like the speed of light is really limiting our space travel at the moment.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty much meaningless: NASA/DARPA has also funded research on the various Poldnekov, Woodward, etc* "effect"s, cold fusion, hafnium fission, etc.

Military**paranoia basicly dictates: If you can't prove that an idea doesn't work, we must research it until we are sure.
For the US especially, the nightmare is waking up one morning to find out that a new "ManhattanProject" has sneaked under the intelligence services' notice, to a success which guarantees the OtherSide overwhelming military superiority.

* Any antigravity device is inherently a faster-than-light drive.

** I don't mean this in a bad way. The military is specificly paid-to-be-paranoid. When they aren't.....look at the results of the French military's over-confidence in the "invulnerablity" of the MaginotLine.

[ January 06, 2006, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
How does antigravity give you FTL?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, technically the Maginot line remains undefeated.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have some faulty reasoning Aspectre. Unless you are suggesting that you try once, maybe twice to get an idea to work, and then abandon it? The military tries to get very complex things to work and they can take time. Stealth technology took decades to develop for instance.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I call b.s.

But I do think we'll find away around the speed of light at some point.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Sharpie...
Oh god oh god please let it work!!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just musing, but how safe is it to test these kinds of theories on the scale of a prototype engine on earth? The part of me weaned on Hollywood mad scientist-induced disasters can imagine such a test going awry and porting a good sized chunk of Earth out somewhere near pluto. [Wink]

I'd feel safer if they did their tests in space. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Not very. Huge magnetic fields aren't something that are easy or healthy to work with.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't the speed of light that's limiting us. It's maintaining a constant acceleration. We just don't have any way to generate the kind of power necessary without making the ship so big that it needs more power, and so on.

They say they can create a gravitational field with a large magnetic field, but to the best of my knowledge, that's science fiction theorizing. Some people have conjectured that gravitation is a 4th order effect of electromagnetism, but it's not even a theory at this point. Just an idea.

And deforming such a field to create thrust... can we even do that on a small scale?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

On the other hand, it would be interesting if they could show that magnetic fields can generate gravitational fields. Even without faster than light travel, that alone would still probably be worth it.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"But this thing is not around the corner; we first have to prove the basic science is correct and there are quite a few physicists who have a different opinion.

"It's our job to prove we are right and we are working on that."

I think this article is a great illustration of what science is all about. "We have a theory. Not everybody agrees on the theory. We're working on a way to prove whether or not it works." It's not a problem at all that they're working with an unproven theory. That's exactly how science makes progress.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with starLisa, We can't do anything close to the speed of light now, what makes us think we can go faster than it in another dimension?
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a design I made for an Anti-Gravity engine based on the idea that Electro Magnetism can distort space time the way Gravity does, but to my knowlege that is not the case, for instance a spinning Black Hole can drag spacetime in a circe, but can a spinning supperconducting magnet? Physics says no.

I would put any design based on a speculative theory of gravity up there with having a miswired toaster turn out to be a time machine!

So why design it? It was amusing and it did turn out to have some familiar needs, familiar in the sense that the end product needed to resembe a saucer!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

They're not actually suggesting exceeding light speed in any dimension, the hypothesis is that in the alternate dimension the speed of light is faster, and thus we can travel faster there than here. Where they're getting that info I'd love to know.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
When alternate dimensions are smaller then the plank distance how do you fit into them?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, it might be useful for high speed data transfers, but probably very expensive..
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
how can we have a hypothesis on something in another dimension? Isn't that like scientifically hypothesizing that, say, God (or a flying spaghetti monster) exists? How can we have knowledge of something not physically there in the sense that it's not in our universe?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be amazingly nice. Unfortunately: its bullshit.

They should be putting funding into things we know work, such as the VASIMR and nuclear rockets, instead of this. But so it goes.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
All that talk of other dimensions reeks of science fiction to my uneducated sense of smell:

quote:
Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.
It just READS badly. They've gotta find a better way to phrase that if they want anyone to take it seriously (although I suppose if the government is taking them seriously, that's all they really need).
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much of the bits like what erosomniac quoted are the journalist trying to briefly sum up a much, much more complicated theory. We had a few threads a while back on the crappiness that is science journalism. Whether their theories are correct or not remains to be seen, and even if they're right there's still a question of whether propulsion based on them would actually be feasible. But I am willing to bet that there's much more to it than the vague "magnetism, another dimension, whoosh!" summary that we get in the article.

As for only funding things that we know work, that just guarentees that we won't ever know more.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

How do they plan to accelerate a human being that fast without having him slam into the back of the ship like bugs on a windshield?

Don't we have to invent inertial dampeners before we can do this?

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but it would be a plus [Smile]
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

If it is true, applications aren't limited to actual space travel. For example, it could have short term applications in space communications. Being able to send normal radio communications at a faster than light speed would be usefull both in unmanned probes and future manned flights.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My father (a mathematical physicist) says they are crackpots with a gift for PR. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
tisk tisk, what about Alcubierre? this mexican physicist came up with something interesting...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.