FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laser Printer or Inkjet?

Author Topic: Laser Printer or Inkjet?
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are contemplating getting another printer in the near future. I have always used inkjets, but am considering upgrading to a laser printer. I currently have an HP photosmart 7150 inkjet. Are laser printers always better quality than an inkjet? They certainly cost more, but one review I read said their $500 laser printer had worse quality than their $100 inkjet. Of course, that was only one review.

Any recommendations on a good printer? When I try to find reviews on printers online, most have only 0-3 reviews; hardly enough to get an accurate review.

And I'm looking in the $500 or less range.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of what you get, you're ultimately going to spend more money on toner/ink than you do on the machine itself. Therefore, the first question you ask yourself should be: How much printing do you think you're going to do?, and of that, how much needs to be in color? While color lasers do exist, I think they're probably way out of your price range. So if color is a high priority, you're probably better off with inkjet.

Lasers have the advantage of not being water soluble - in other words, if your print job gets wet, the printing won't run. Inkjets will. Laser toner also doesn't dry out from disuse like an ink tank will (at least I've never had a laser dry out, and I've wasted countless ink tanks because of lack of use).

Many inkjets are now being sold as "all-in-ones" - printer, scanner, copy machine and fax in a single unit. If you don't already have a scanner, this might also weigh in your decision. I haven't yet seen a laser all-in-one (unless we count large office machines like our Savin copier), but I haven't looked, either.

My office recently got a new computer network and Dell threw in a handful of 1710 lasers at no additional charge. They normally retail for about $200, the cartridges (directly from Dell, so far I haven't been able to find a third-party vendor) run from 70 for the lower capacity recycled cartridge to about 110 for the high capacity "virgin" tank. Low capacity is approximately 3000 pages, high is 6000. Print speed is approximately 25 ppm. I don't see any difference in quality between the 1710 and the (now discontinued) 17 ppm HP 4050 that I have on my desk or the 55 ppm Savin copier/printer that's been networked to the entire office.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main considerations are: what will you be printing, how fast do you want to print it, and how many pages?

I bought a laser printer so that my manuscript printing would be more efficient. Sometimes I would like to print something in color, and when my roommate prints iron ons for his t-shirts, I get a little jealous, but it works really well for what I need. I've printed a couple hundred pages and haven't needed to change toner, plus it's relatively fast.

I have the HP Laserjet 1012, if you're interested. It's been a workhorse so far. No issues, and pretty inexpensive. I haven't used an inkjet for a couple of years, so I can't help you there.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get a good laserjet for around $200. It will cost you hundreds of dollars less than an inkjet of any quality in the long run.

Even if you need color, unless you need regular color printing, buy both an inkjet and a laserjet (or just take your color work to a copy shop). You'll still save money over printing everything on an inkjet.

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/testdrive/article.php/3521141

http://www.koreproducts.com/cost_laser_vs_inkjet.html

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the HP LJ 1012.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with having both an inkjet and a laser.

For the inkjet, I like having individual color ink tanks (instead of cyan/yellow/magenta all packed into one); Canon has some like these, I currently have a Canon i560 which I'm happy with, though they don't make them anymore.

My laserjet is a Xerox XL2120 copier/printer which produces very good, sharp quality text. I don't use it all that much, but I bought it probably 5 years ago for ~$200, and I'm still chugging away on the original toner cartridge. My only complaints are 1.)sometimes it's not 'warmed up' all the way and I have to re-print the first page due to the toner flaking off, and 2.) occasional paper jams, but usually it's only if I'm using nonstandard paper (i.e., heavyweight stuff).

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did some research on printers recently. I was helping a family member buy a printer. She ended up getting some sort of HP Laser jet (I forgot the model) that uses an A12 cartridge. The toner can print 3000 pages before it needs replaced, and a local person refills it for $49 dollars. It is faster and the toner is definitely cheaper, over time, then ink.

The printer was on sale for $129 at Staples.

I was reading my wife's Ensign and they had an article on family history. The article said to use an ink jet printer with special paper for genealogy documents because ink lasts the longest. Toner tends to fade quicker since it is just burned on superficially instead of stained in the paper--but I doubt that is an issue for office documents, papers, et cetera.

EDIT: She has been very happy with it. I think it looks crisp and good, but I can't discern quality differences between $120 printers and $5,000 printers. I thought the money difference was just on printer options like speed, imprinting, faxing, collating, et cetera.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What will you be printing out the most?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is for home use, you might also consider whether or not your home power is able to handle the power draw of a laser printer. Things have probably changed somewhat since the last time I had a laser printer, but the one I had was a major power hog -- to the point where the uninteruptible power supply would send an alarm and the lights in the house woul dim whenever the thing cycled.

I doubt a new one would draw THAT much power, but it was sure annoying to deal with.

You should be able to get the specs online and see if the printer draws a lot of amps.

Posts: 22496 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After doing more research and reading here, I think we may just upgrade to a new inkjet. I am getting frustrated with HP because everyone printer I've had from them has issues either loading paper correctly, getting frequent paper jams, grabbing multiple sheets of paper at once, or being misaligned. I think I am liking the sound of the Canon Pixma iP5200. It is about the same quality as the equivalent HP, but the reviews don't complain about paper-loading issues, like they do about the HP. And it's rated at a lower cost to print per page. And I can get it at some online stores for $116.

My wife and I do a lot of printing of photos and graphics, and a laser printer does not sound the way to go. I like speed, but it is secondary to photo quality for me. I guess I just always assumed that laser printers would have better quality overall. Guess I was wrong [Smile]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob: low-end lasers haven't had that problem for a good while, now.

Yes, if you print a lot of photos and want high quality you'll need an inkjet, unless you're prepared to spend a good deal more on the printer. A laser printer handling low color number graphics well would be within your price range, but only just.

You can get laser printers with better quality on color, but you have to pay a good bit for it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks fugu. Now that I think of it, mine was probably 15 years old by the time I finally got fed up with it. I think it was probably 10 years old when I was given it by my old company.
Posts: 22496 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're printing pictures, you can always look into dye-sublimation printers. They're coming down in price.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*facepalm* Really?

This thread ended before iPhones existed.

edit: For those confused, this post was in response to a spam necro which has now been deleted.

[ April 16, 2018, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Sean Monahan ]

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.