FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ...help me to understand...

Author Topic: ...help me to understand...
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So I happened to yet again take a look at the ingredients to Diet Mountain Dew. Why? Because I can't have fructose.

The second ingredient for Diet Mountain Dew is concentrated orange juice. Yet, the nutrition label says that there are no sugars.

o_O

Please help me to understand how this is possible. Did the fructose magically disappear?

If it did, can I borrow the use of Pepsi's magic disappearing fructose fairy? I'd like to be able to enjoy a slice of apple pie.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's SOOO concentrated the fructose can't escape, making it chemically irrelevant. Sort of like a fructose black hole.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. According to the FDA, that shouldn't be right.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! It occurs to me that even though it is the second ingredient, there may be so little that they don't have to count it, as per that link.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(You could write the company and find out.)
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ: Maybe, but the ingredients are always listed in order of quantity. That's very confusing. I'd think there would be a ton of fructose in concentrated orange juice!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Maaayyybeee ... they're lying!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, kq, that's actually what I'm going to do. I also wonder when they changed the recipe.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Just this year...apparently there is even a petition out for the recipe to be changed back to the original.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I say we bring a class action lawsuit against them due to false advertising and posing a potential health risk, especially to those that are allergic to sugar. Then after it's all said and done go home and roll around in the mountain of cash we acquired as a result of such a frivolous lawsuit.

Ain't America great?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Diet Code Red. It was terrible and delicious all at once.

I'm pondering some kind of....orange juice concentrate with no sugar...which in my head, looks like Kool-aid powder.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie:
KQ: Maybe, but the ingredients are always listed in order of quantity. That's very confusing. I'd think there would be a ton of fructose in concentrated orange juice!

I'm with KQ. The first ingredient is carbonated water. Doesn't take a whole lot to flavor that... and in this case, the OJ is followed by citric acid, natural flavors, citrus pectin, potassium benzoate, aspartame, potassium citrate, caffeine, sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, gum arabic, sodium benzoate, calcium disodium EDTA, brominated vegetable oil, yellow 5. Note that this includes three artificial sweeteners, and that the calorie count still rounds to zero... all of which suggests that the amount of fructose is negligible from a legal standpoint.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I stay away from neon greenish-yellowish sodas. Diet or not.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
citrus pectin, potassium benzoate, aspartame, potassium citrate, caffeine, sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, gum arabic, sodium benzoate, calcium disodium EDTA, brominated vegetable oil, yellow 5

Yummy! Better living through chemistry is so awesome!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the FDA site it seems like if there is less than .5g of sugar it won't show up. Since I can't easily wrap my head around concentrate OJ I took a look at this in terms of reconstitued OJ - Minute Maid Country Style . According to the nutritional info there is 24g of sugar in 8oz of this OJ. So, if there is .49g of sugars in Diet Mountain Dew it would be about (.49/24) 2% OJ by volume - this seems a little low to me but on the other hand Hawaiian Punch is only 5% juice so I don't think it'd be unreasonable for Diet Mountain Dew to be 2% juice.

So, I think ketchupqueen is right and there is just not enough OJ to make it onto the nutritional information.

quote:
Maybe it's SOOO concentrated the fructose can't escape, making it chemically irrelevant. Sort of like a fructose black hole
[ROFL]
This is extra funny considering OJ is one of the things you give people with low blood sugar since the natural sugars in OJ help bring the blood sugar up quickly.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
From the FDA website, something can be labeled sugar if:

quote:
"Sugar Free": Less than 0.5 g sugars per reference amount and per labeled serving (or for meals and main dishes, less than 0.5 g per labeled serving)

No ingredient that is a sugar or generally understood to contain sugars except as noted below(*)

* Except if the ingredient listed in the ingredient statement has an asterisk that refers to footnote (e.g., "* adds a trivial amount of fat").

I'm pretty sure that those conditions are "and" not "or", which means something labeled "sugar free" must have both less than 0.5 g of sugar and have no ingredients that are generally understood to contain sugar.

Orange Juice is pretty generally considered to contain sugar so unless it has an asterisk next to it and a footnote that explains how a drink containing orange Juice can have no sugar, Diet Mountain Dew is not meeting the FDA regulation even if it has only 5 mg of sugar.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes, but the label does not say "Sugar Free"; it simply shows 0 for the amount of sugars. Pretty sure in that case only the first requirement would apply.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
citrus pectin, potassium benzoate, aspartame, potassium citrate, caffeine, sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, gum arabic, sodium benzoate, calcium disodium EDTA, brominated vegetable oil, yellow 5

Yummy! Better living through chemistry is so awesome!
Yeah, me loves me some brominated vegatable oil.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Yes, but the label does not say "Sugar Free"; it simply shows 0 for the amount of sugars. Pretty sure in that case only the first requirement would apply.

Question is, are they rounding up or down? If they're rounding down, it could have 0.999999mg of sugar and still be able to be labeled as 0.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
But not 0.9999999...
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggles at Ic*

Goody, by law they can only put 0 if it contains less than .5 g (as Rabbit cited above).

mackillian
Member # 586

I still want to borrow their magic disappearing fructose fairy.
rivka
Member # 4859

It's like homeopathy. Dilute it with enough water, and it disappears.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is such a small bit of fructose in it, I'd think it would be unlikely to harm you. It's the other garbage in it that you need to worry about.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.