FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nike + iPod

Author Topic: Nike + iPod
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you used the product pair? Does it help regulate your workout, or is it just a marketing gimmick? (perhaps both?)

In any case I love the design...

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that the shoes or the ipod or whatever, transmit an easily-detectable RFID that could provide someone with an easy way to track your movements.

Where's that /. article...

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/02/0418255

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Yeah, I'm aware of the flaw. Hopefully Apple will roll in a security update.

I don't think there's any reason for anyone to be interested in the movements of this particular suburban college student, but the prospect is still disturbing.

Just probing - I'm unlikely to invest in an iPod shuffle and a new pair of shoes just for morning runs anyway.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that the shoes transmit the signal. The iPod just picks it up via antennae. So, in order for a security update to come out, Nike needs to encrypt the signal the shoes transmit.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

The transmitter is not actually in the shoe to begin with. It's included in this kit, which is sold on both Apple's and Nike's website.

I'm not clear on who is responsible for the encryption though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.