FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love you! You're beautiful! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I love you! You're beautiful!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone shouted this out to me in English when I was in Ecuador once. "I love you! You're beautiful!" I thought if one only knew how to say one thing in a foreign language, one could pick a lot worse than this. [Smile]

So Kyya and I started a list of how to say "I love you! You're beautiful!" in every language we know. Can you help us fill out the list?

Spanish: Te quiero! Eres bella/bello!

Hindi: Humse tumse pyar hai. (For I love you. Kyya's not sure about You're beautiful.)

Gujurati: tu mahne bow gamu chu! tu bow sarus lagu chu! (Kyya hopes)

German: Ich liebe dich! Du bist schoen!

I know hatrackers can lengthen this list considerably. Anyone? [Smile]

[ February 15, 2007, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
French: Je t'adore (or Je t'aime), tu est beau/belle.

(that's the informal, not the formal, btw).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Latin: Te amo. Tu es formosa.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I read this thread because I thought you had fallen in love with me, and I was sorely, sorely disapointed.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah, Phanto, maybe it's a subtle clue I'm sending you though! Don't rule out that possibility. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

We have an alternate suggestion:

Dhara says "Main Tumse Pyaar karti oon....Khubsharat!" is I love you, you're beautiful in Hindi.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, I thought the same thing.

*walks away mournfully*

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

[Razz] But Evie, everyone on the thread might be flirting with you wildly for all you know!
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a second, Evi3217. Did you miss my subtle flirtations with you? Darn; perhaps they are too subtle! I laugh on vanieties; evil, you orange ugg!

A cookie to whomever deciphers this first. ^^

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah <takes cookie> an acronym! [Wink]

[ January 23, 2007, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm pretty sure that in Sindarin, "I love you" is something like "le melin" or "te mela'ne."

But unless you get lost in Valinor, that probably won't matter much. Plus they probably aren't speaking Sindarin in Valinor anyway. That'd be Quenya.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese: Ai shiteru! Bijin desu yo! (I think I have that right.)
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Portuguese: Eu te amo. Voce e linda.

Then again, there are probably a hundred subtle variations in any given language.

[ January 22, 2007, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Fusiachi ]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Tulsi says in Hindi it's: Mein tumse pyaar karti hoon. Tum bohut khoobsurat ho.

Apparently Tulsi knows. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

In Armenian it's: Kezi geh sirem! Tun keghetsig es!

Hebrew: Ani ohev otach
is I love you, we think. [Smile] Correct us if we're wrong.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Hebrew: Ani Ohev Otach! At Yafa Meod!

This is in the form of a male talking to a female

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Dutch: Ik houd van jouw (literally I am beholden of you). Jij ben mooi. Pronounciation is something like "Ick how fon yow. Y-eye bin moy." Dutch truly is the language of love.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

Yeah, it took a while to settle on "voce e linda"; Given I'm moving to Sao Paulo in the fall, I think it might be the most useful when it comes to charming the innocent. Oh, and diacritics are a pain.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Several from babelfish:

Greek: Σας αγαπώ. Είστε όμορφοι
Italian: Ti amo. Siete bei
Russian: Я люблю вас. Вы красивейши

That might be a more useful tool if it provided anglicized pronounciations as well.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see this in Klingon. *grin
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oooh, I knew this topic would draw you in, CT! All for you! <3<3<3
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

quote:
Russian: Я люблю вас. Вы красивейши

That might be a more useful tool if it provided anglicized pronounciations as well. [/QB]

My roommate (who is Ukranian) suggests that the Russian pronunciation of what you wrote is roughly "ya lyublyu vas". Well, at least the first part. I'll have to ask again how the rest goes.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

Somehow I doubt that phrase is said very often in Klingon.

Now if it were "I honor your prowess, your jej'taj is shiny" then you'd be somewhere.

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Klingon... My brother might still have a Klingon-English dictionary. But isn't it just throw a chair or other heavy object and scream at the person?
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Senoj, that Italian is wrong. Babelfish translated the Italian for you're beautiful into the you plural instead of the you singular.

Informal is Sei bello/bella. Formal is E` bello/bella.

Edit: The Klingon Language Institute does not list I love you in their phrase section. It does, however, include today is a good day to die, which might be the equivalent: Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Edit #2: I just found this which may be rather useful.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

Somehow I doubt that phrase is said very often in Klingon.

Now if it were "I honor your prowess, your jej'taj is shiny" then you'd be somewhere.

All the online Klingon dictionaries are choking on the word "beautiful" (also "lovely," "attractive," and "striking").
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:

Japanese: Ai shiteru! Bijin desu yo! (I think I have that right.)

You do.

More informally: Ai shiteru! Bijin da yo!

To clarify who you're talking about, you could add:
Ai shiteru! Kimi wa bijin da yo!

And bijin will apply only to females, so for males:
Ai shiteru! Kimi wa hansamu da yo!

Hansamu is the katakana rendering of the English 'handsome' (ハンサム)

[ January 22, 2007, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
French formal: Je vouz adore! Vous etes belle/beau.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Oooh, I knew this topic would draw you in, CT! All for you! <3<3<3

I needed a little lovin', even of the theoretical variety.

[Smile]

Great project!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by jlt:
French formal: Je vouz adore! Vous etes belle/beau.

Actually I'm pretty sure it should be "Je vous aime, vous êtes beau."

It's purely a spelling thing, which won't matter if you're speaking it, but might as well be correct. [Smile]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Iema farathe r'iema. R'iema se nanavan.

Keep all the sounds at the front of your mouth. The R' is not an american sounding R but more like a japanese R or a spanish rolled R (rr) that stops after a single roll.

There are no dipthongs so keep your vowels seperated.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
What language is that?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
In our variation of Arabic, we would say (male to female)
"Ana b'hibik, ya helwi"
That loosely translates to "I love you, sweet one" The word "helwi" or "sweet" also means beautiful.

In French, I would say informally (male to female again)
"Je t'aime. Tu es belle."

Although I personally think
"Je vous aime, ma cherie." is more effective.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
All the online Klingon dictionaries are choking on the word "beautiful" (also "lovely," "attractive," and "striking").

*grin

You'd think "striking" would be prominent somewhere in there.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally would lean toward "¡Eres bella!" instead of "¡Eres muy linda!" (And, of course, point out that the object could be masculine instead of feminine.)
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* This thread is a big ol' lie. *cries*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
((Olivet))
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
A very basic way to say it in Navajo would be either

Shí ayóó'íinish´ní ayor anosh'ni, t'áá ni nishshóní

or

Shí ayóó'ádeiníi´ní ayor anosh'ni, nihí bił nizhóní

But I can't confirm if the syntax for 'you are' is correct in either example. Oh well!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

*grin

You'd think "striking" would be prominent somewhere in there.

Wouldn't you? Alas, no.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. No languages to add - but I'm feeling the love. No sarcasm, even, I just love this place. : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, I love you too. What can I say? The subtleties are just too much for my mind to handle. But then, it's hard to keep track of all the people who are in love with me.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ik leavje dy! Do bist moai!"
Which should the Frisian way of saying it, though some variations are possible, depending on how strictly you adhere to the rules of the language.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Maite zaitut! Eder zaude. (Basque)

Ich liebe dich! Du bist sehr hubsch! (German, pretty instead of beautiful, but more colloquial)

Te quiero! Estas muy guapa! (Castillian Spanish - wot is spoken in Spanish Spain)

On my travels I met a fellow Brit who had translated "where is the windowsill" into fifteen languages. Not at all usefull, but I blame the beer.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Czech (to female): Miluju tě! Jsi krásná!
Czech (to male): Miluju tě! Jsi krásný!

Slovak (to female): Milujem ťa! Si krásna!
Slovak (to male): Milujem ťa! Si krásny!

Note that I include only informal language, as I cannot imagine a person (in this century) who would at the same time 1) say something like this to a total stranger, and 2) use the formal while saying it.

edit to include both genders and to comment that there are obviously tons of ways to phrase this and I opted for the most straightforward for the sake of simplicity. [Smile]

[ January 23, 2007, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the formal's more romantic, Lissande? Not criticizing, just thinking of a possible example...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Albanian: Të dua! Ti je i bukur. (pronounced: tuh doo-uh. Tee yeh ee bookoor.)
Oh, and I'm assuming you're saying this to a man. If it's a woman, change "i bukur" to "e bukur".

Also, "I love you" in Tagalog is "mahal kita", but I forget how to say "you're beautiful."

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'd like to get a copy of the Book of Mormon in all 115 languages or whatever it is now. That would be such a cool rosetta stone.

Thanks for all the new ones, guys! This is so great! [Smile] Please fill in both genders, for those languages in which we only have one.

Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
cmc - more romantic in what sense? I know different languages perceive the differences between you-informal and you-formal in different ways - are there languages in which formal language would be more romantic? This is an interesting question. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Klingon: KAPLA!!!

Yeah... right... Never mind.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I have to correct your Dutch Senoj

Dutch:

Ik hou van jou! Je bent mooi.

Danish:

Jeg elsker dig! Du er smuk.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.