FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Poll: Who will you vote for? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Poll: Who will you vote for?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Democrats

* Senator Joe Biden of Delaware x/y
* Senator Christopher Dodd of Connecticut x/y
* Former Senator John Edwards x/y
* Former Senator Mike Gravel x/y
* Representative Dennis Kucinich x/y
* Senator Barack Obama of Illinois 12/22 /2
* Former Governor Tom Vilsack x/y
* Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton 1/22
* Governor Bill Richardson 1/22/2
* Retired General Wesley Clark 1/22
* Reverend Al Sharpton of New York x/y

x/y being the x (numCandidate) and y (Total_Votes).

a z rank will also be there for vp votes.

Republicans:

* Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas x/y
* John H. Cox of Illinois x/y
* Representative Duncan Hunter of California x/y
* Michael Charles Smith of Oregon x/y
* Former Governor Jim Gilmore of Virginia x/y
* Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York 1/22
* Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas x/y
* Senator John McCain of Arizona 1/22 /1
* Representative Ron Paul of Texas 1/22
* Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts x/y/2
* Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado x/y
* Former Governor Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin x/y
* Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich of Georgia 1/22
* Senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska x/y
* Radio talk show host Michael Savage of California 1/22

In about an hour ill be in bed but I think we can close the polls by midnight tomorrow.

Independants: Blayne Bradley 1/22 / 1

Update: Obama so far with 54% of the vote.

[ February 11, 2007, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't not vote for Obama.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
There are just too many of them to pick apart! If you put a gun to my head right now and said CHOOSE! I'd go with Obama on the D side and McCain on the R side.

I *really* hope Clinton and Brownback don't win.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Let me clarify vote for one party at a time please but aside from that ya vote for who yould like as VP as well.
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
In a perfect world, we would have a ticket of Barack Obama as President and Bill Richardson as VP (or even better, Richardson as President for 8 years and then Obama president for 8 more), but I dont see that happening. If it did, I would quit my job and go work for the campaign because I think those guys are the real deal. And finally its not going to be about the lesser of two evils, but more the team that really can do some good. And that makes me excited for the first time in a long time...

I have a feeling that we are going to get a ticket of Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama as President and VP respectively, and I would vote for that pairing.

On the Republican side, I would consider McCain and possibly Guiliani but many of the others are far too socially conservative for me.

Overall, its probable that any ticket with Barack Obama will garner my vote.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Obama for the Democrats, Giuliani for the Republicans.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I will personally hunt down and kill the next person who polls a magicians trick and votes for 2 parties.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't know enough yet, and I suspect nobody else here does either, yet. We'll be voting for whoever sounded cool so far.

That said, I'll very very tentatively say Gingrich/Romney in '08.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
And I will personally hunt down whoever pairs Clinton with Obama.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so hard.

First black, (or African-African American) president?(see my thread)
Extremely cool

Woman for president with an ex-president I loved being the first "first man?"
Priceless.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Too early to tell. And if you haven't personally looked into any of the candidates' policies, way too early. Please vote responsibly.

(Unofficially, I'll vote for Barack Obama, with Blayne for VP. Not in the primaries, though--registered Republican).

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they allow voting in both primaries in some states?

I don't know if I'll be voting next election. Maybe I'll vote for whichever one promises to stop trying to have me killed [Wink]

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
My heart is with Newt, but I'll proabably vote McCain, unless it becomes clear the Rudy can consolidate the right, i.e., gain the trust of the evangelicals. A GOP nom can't win without their support. In other words, the candidate that's better able to build a solid base of support is the the one that'll get mine.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Has Newt thrown his hat in the ring then? Had not heard that.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This is hard, but if I had a gun to my head:

Hillary for President on the D side, and either Barrack Obama or Bill Richardson on the VP spot. (RunningBear: I'm right here, come get me!)

On the Republican side, frankly none of them are really satisfactory. McCain is nowhere near as centrist as his image suggests. Giuliani was a bad mayor, and nice speeches after a disaster don't make him a great leader and such. If he can't run a city, I don't want him running my nation, no matter how much I might agree with his social policies.

Colin Powell would get my vote, and Lincoln Chafee with him, well, it's the only Republican ticket that might lure me away from the Democrats.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Has Newt thrown his hat in the ring then? Had not heard that.

Not all the names on that list are officially running, or even unofficially. Newt has publicly stated however, that if he sees that there are no good Republicans running, that represent the values he holds dear, he WILL enter the race, and he expects he'll win.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Radio talk show host Michael Savage of California x/y

I would pay a lot of other people's money for Savage to be in a primary debate with the other Republicans.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Thanks, by the way, Lyrhawn.
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't vote yet, but in a lot of ways I think it's too early to tell. There haven't been any debates yet and the list of possibles is very log. But, at the moment, I like Obama. I especially like what he said in a speech about trying to get rid of corruption and giving the country back to the people, rather than the lobbyists. Idealistic? Yes.

read actual quotes here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/10/obama.president/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

In the end though, I'm not sure who I would vote for. If I could vote I'd vote for someone who had a real step by step plan to end the war in Iraq (and not start one in Iran) and improve the U.S.'s foreign relations. I'd also want that candidate to be concerned with protecting people's rights here at home. Yep, that's definitely asking a lot.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Barack Obama, with Bill Richardson as VP. My ideal ticket would actually be Gore/Obama, but I'm almost certain at this point that Gore isn't running.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

I forgot Gore (it's late). I think that Gore/Obama would be good. But,Gore has basically stated he won't run. I think that he got fed up with politics in the the scandal in 2000. Still. I think that makes him all the better as a possible president because he doesn't desire power. George Washington didn't want to be president, but everyone else wanted him to be. I think at least that Gore would be excellent to deal with oil/energy problems.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I will not and cannot vote for Obama. That's all I know right now.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

stihl1- Why?
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Paul for president. Condi Rice for vp.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

Just read up on Ron Paul (I hadn't heard of him). I wouldn't vote for him (if I could). On some of his stances I agree. But for one thing, he is against the U.S. bing part of the U.N. and he supports a gold standard while investing in gold companies. Seems suspicicous and makes him untrustworthy in my eyes. Also, while I support states rights, I feel he is too extreme on his proposals for limiting the federal government.

Rice has stated that she isn't interested in Presidential campaigns, so there that goes.

As a general request, when people post on this board please give a "because" as to why they support/do not support someone. Otherwise I will probably become very annoying by constantly posting "why?".

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaning towards Bill Richardson. However, I've never backed a winner yet, and throwing my support behind a candidate in the primaries pretty much guarantees he'll be out of the running soon thereafter.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mama always said "Voting is private. I will tell you my political philosophies and I may even sport a bumper sticker, but don't ask me who I voted for or will vote for. We have a secret ballot in this country for a reason." I tend to agree. So I'm not telling you. [Razz] You can take your best guess, though.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne,

1) Why do you care whether people given an opinion in both parties?

2) Has anyone heard which big-name independents might make a run?

My personal view on candidates is that almost any of them would reduce the level of divisiveness in this country. There are exceptions and I would hope that neither party backs a truly divisive candidate.

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the guy's name (not much of an endorsement, huh?), but a buddy of mine was telling me about a prosecutor up in New York who went after big business. He had investigated the guy's dad's company and didn't find anything wrong, so he didn't hassel them. He only went after actual bad guys.

First of all, I'm impressed with anyone who can tell the difference between good guys and bad guys nowdays. Second, I think big business is setting America up for a dangerous fall if we don't get them under control. CEOs need to be reigned in and Boards need to be held accountable for them.

I like this article about how Boards still don't know how much their CEO really makes. They think it's important, but they aren't doing anything about it. As a pro-business Republican, I can't think of many scarier statements.

I will tenatively back anyone who will crack down on the destruction of Fortune 500 companies from the inside, see the war through to a sucessful completion, and be nice to migrant workers and illegal immigrants. I know that's asking a lot these days, but those are my issues and I'm sticking to them.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Reader, I think you're alluding to Rudy Giuliani. He gained the national spotlight when he was Mayor of New York on 9-11.

As a local, I remember his career before he was in the national eye, and I doubt that he is electable.

New York has a history of voting in the most liberal Republicans around. I wouldn't mind seeing a liberal Republican on the ticket.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't Giuliani. It was a name I didn't know. It might be Eliot Spitzer, current governor of New York, but I'd have to check.

If it is, there's not much chance he'd run in 08, having just got the governorship. I like some of his work as Attorney General, but some of it bugs me. Plus, he's pretty liberal, and I'd have a hard time voting for a liberal.

If most Americans are in the middle of the road, I'm walking on the right hand sidewalk. [Smile]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, Spitzer is a popular guy in NY, but I don't think he's running in '08.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Rudy for Prez, and McCain for VP.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Mitt Romney - the only electable Conservative (even if some question that qualification) on the Republican ticket.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be old enough to vote for this election. Two words. Woo and Hoo.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I will personally hunt down and kill the next person who polls a magicians trick and votes for 2 parties.

I'm sorry, but if you told me I had to pick a party I would have abstained. I have never and will never align myself with a political party. I vote for people, not platforms.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
As a Kansan, I can tell you I hope Brownback doesn't get it. He's extremely conservative. I'm guessing he'll try pretty hard to disguise himself as a moderate.

I honestly don't know enough of those Republicans to even pick one. Of the Democrats, I'm hoping Obama does well.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama for me.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama. Part of me thinks he's too good to be true, but I'll vote for him. Hoping really bad that they do not pair him up with Hillary. Not because I particularly dislike her, but I know a lot of people do.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be honest, any Democrat pretty much garunteed.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm definitely thinking Obama.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my leanings, but so much changes in a presidential race that speculating on who I would vote for right now seems rather boring to be honest. I'd much rather just discuss what the candidates are doing as they campaign, and deal with who should win the primaries before I start talking about the prez.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Did anyone see that article in Rolling Stone suggesting Al Gore run again? I can't find a link. I think the article was entitled, "Run Al, Run!"

Edit:

I've thought all along that a Gore/Obama ticket would be great. And after Gore's presidency Obama could run for Head Honcho.

Will B
Member # 7931

What are Obama's views on issues?
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
"What are Obama's views on issues?"

Um, well. I'm told that he has them and I am sure that he really does, but they havn't exactly been the basis of his campaign thus far.

I would gladly vote for Gen. Clark, Gov. Richardson or Al Gore. I would vote Sen. Obama over Sen. Clinton and either over John Edwards.

I do think Sen. Obama would be a pretty good choice for VP.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Um, well. I'm told that he has them and I am sure that he really does, but they havn't exactly been the basis of his campaign thus far.
Heh, he's been officially in the race for like two days, and a YEAR from the closest primary, you're being critical of his lack of planks on his platform? Wow.

Rudy Giuliani will never get the nomination, and if he does, he'll hand the election to whatever Democrat is running.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
What are Obama's views on issues?

http://obama.senate.gov/issues/
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I will vote for you, dear Blayne, if you update this title so that it is grammatically correct.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

If Obama does lack planks in his platform, then yes, I'm critical of that. Why should I support him, if he doesn't stand for anything? Are empty words really the best foundation for a campaign?

I'm not saying his words are empty; perhaps he gave details in his speech that were omitted from the articles on it.

I tend to agree with Lyrhawn about Guliani. Republicans won't vote for him because they think of him as too liberal, and Democrats already have plenty of liberals to choose from. The exception would be if the public want someone Republican on foreign policy but Democrat on domestic policy, but I'm not sure that's the case. (If they did, surely Bush's numbers would be high.)

Addendum: Thanks to Amanecer for the link.

Looks like Obama is for a non-immediate withdrawal from Iraq, and stricter drug laws, which puts him on the side of almost every Republican and Democrat. His other positions are a little hard to pin down, to say the least. I've read them all, and as far as I can tell he supports sound policies and quality services, which is a little hard to argue with because it doesn't say anything.

To be fair, I haven't seen statements on the issues at other candidates' web sites. They could be just as empty of content.

[ February 11, 2007, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Will B ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

ack was asleep, will update shortly.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.