FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Egads! Taxes!

Author Topic: Egads! Taxes!
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first paycheck today, at least first official taxed paycheck, and egads, about 20% of it is gone! 10% of that is rebatable at the end of the year, but wow, does that take a lot of the joy of making money. It's not as if I'm getting paid a lot, and it's not particularly enjoyable work, and to -- at the end of it all -- only get 4/5 of what I expected is...well, stinky.

Egads, bad taxes! ^_^

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you'll get half what is taken out back maybe you should adjust your withholding.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, to only see 20% of my paycheck gone...
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, to be making enough that the government would feel justified in taking more than 20% of my paycheck [Wink] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

No freakin' kidding.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about taxes...

Everyone complains about them as if the government is "taking away our money", but the fact is--because we live in America, that percentage of our income is no longer our money--it was never ours. So instead of considering 20% of your paycheck "gone", consider it your rent for living in the U.S. for another year. I'm so tired of hearing people complain about taxes--what they should be complaining about is how they're being spent.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

No freakin' kidding.
I third that [Frown]

*wipes tear*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J_84
Member # 10351

- posted      Profile for J_84           Edit/Delete Post 
Will people stop complaining about taxes, for crying out loud? The taxes you pay go to the roads you drive on, the public schools you attend, the public libraries where you go to read books, the health care of soldiers who become emotionally or physically disabled because they fight for this country, protective gear for the troops, they allow our federal agencies to be able to effectively gather intel to prevent terrorist attacks, relief from natural disasters, maintenance of parks you visit, departments which ensure that children are brought up in abuse-free homes and ensure that our workplaces are safe for their employees, help for the destitute, financial aid for poorer students etc. Everyone should pay for these things, especially since everyone enjoys the full benefit of them. The only way to ensure that someone is not paying for the benefit of something (for example, national defense applies to everyone in the country), is to levy taxes on everyone. Sometimes I think people want certain services that the government provides, but are unwilling to pay for them. For example, people like going to the park for a picnic with their family and not having it littered with trash, going to the library for a wide selection of books, being able to attend high school and college, etc. Seriously, these things take money.

The only problem I have with taxes is the way they are spent, especially when they are done inefficiently, like when contracts go to companies rebuilding disaster areas and Iraq are not awarded through merit and a fair bidding process and instances when the government panics when a disaster recovery plan is not well thought out, for example, buying millions of dollars worth of food and housing for victims of Katrina that remain unused, when those in Congress insert pork into bills that allocate millions to something completely ridiculous. I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them right now.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Will people stop complaining about taxes, for crying out loud?
Nope. As a tax payer and a voter it's my god-given right to bitch and moan about the government (of whatever colour) and whinge like a two-year old about the money they extract from my pay packet.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

PS - No taxation without reperesentation wasn't it?

Well I pay my taxes, what about paying a little attention to what I think should be done with the cash...

*climbs down from soapbox [Wink] *

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Our problem is that we have representatives that don't so much care about what we really want, they care about getting reelected.

And our problem is that citizens are unwilling to punish a lack of progress, we just keep reelected unproductive fools.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The day my taxes stop going to grossly inflated government salaries is the day I stop complaining about them.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Stryker
Member # 10517

- posted      Profile for Mr. Stryker   Email Mr. Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, I love being a full time student and a full time employee... At the end of the year, I get everything except my Social Security back... this year i received a tax refund check for almost 3 grand...

Phanto, I'm assuming since this is your first check, that you are still a student. As long as your enrolled in an academic institution as a full time student, assuming you file your taxes correctly, you should get ALL of your federal taxes (minus Social Security), and (in Indiana at least) all of your state and local taxes back. I even get money back when i file my property taxes...

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Government salaries are the least of government's problems, and at most levels they're less than for comparable levels in business (so it is not too surprising that sometimes it is hard to fill such positions with competent people).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- Thinks fugu is right.

Continuing with the rest of the thread...Oh, to be making enough that the government feels justified in taking more than 20% of my paycheck. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jumping on the, "Oh that I imade enough to be taxed 20%" bandwagon. Hey that sounds like a good blues song.

My only complaints are that,
1: Salaries to not follow inflation fast enough, especially minimum wage. People get all bent out of shape when they try to increase it by around a dollar and yet plenty of things go up by far more then just one dollar before we increase it.

2: I hate paying into a social security fund that I have no confidence in, and in which I doubt Ill see a dollar because of mismanagement.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding. I loathe the payroll taxes - they regressive, are never refunded, the funds are mismanaged, and I pay more for Medicare than I do for my own insurance, yet I am not covered and doubt I will be covered by Medicare.

Taxing taxes out automoatically and breaking up into different categories was the biggest trick Congress ever came up with - I think we should write one check a year, and we have to write it personally. See how that affects feelings about policy.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, I would imagine that large percentage of Americans all seemed to misplace their checkbooks at the same time if a one check per year system were introduced.

Also, I prefer to have the buckets more clearly separated. It helps accounting for the efficacy of the different programs. I'd be more inclined to find ways to stop Congress from sloshing money around between the funds, robbing Peter to pay Paul and all that.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As long as your enrolled in an academic institution as a full time student, assuming you file your taxes correctly, you should get ALL of your federal taxes (minus Social Security)
This is not true. There are several tax benefits involved in education- such as the ability to deduct tuition and related expenses, being able to deduct interest paid on student loans, and a few others. Here's the list of Tax Benefits for Education. Not having to pay taxes is not on the list and is not factually accurate. Why would you think that?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Note his use of should, not would. If you are full-time as a student (ie not working, or working a little) you should get your taxes back, unless your part-time work is REALLY lucrative [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
But he said he was also a full-time employee. My understanding of his statement was that being a full-time student automatically exempts you from taxes. Perhaps I misunderstood him though.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, he said that being a full-time student means you should probably get all your taxes back when you get your refund.

Which holds true for us. We have 2 kids, my husband is a full-time student and works full time, we're in a fairly low income bracket; some years we get back more than we actually paid in, I think. o_0

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Just set yourself up as a private equity firm and move into the 15% bracket.

http://robertreich.blogspot.com/2007/05/priivate-equity-baloney.html

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, unlike a salary, private equity investors freqently lose money. Furthermore, the average private equity income is only about that of stock market index fund investment, which is open to everyone.

That is, you can earn as much as a typical private equity partner by putting your money in the stock market. You will also pay exactly the same tax rate, as stock market gains are capital gains in the same way private equity is.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w9807

Now imagine if, as Reich suggests, private equity profits were taxed at the same rate as personal income. Suddenly it would be far more advantageous for most private equity investors to invest in the stock market instead of directly buying up poorly performing companies and improving their performance. Average corporate performance would drop minorly, and the number of companies entering bankruptcy would significantly increase (as those marginal companies are the sort private equity firms target), creating a large societal cost.

And of course, it wouldn't really be righting even the perceived wrong, because private equity firms, on the whole, aren't making absurd sums of money. They're making typical returns on typical investments, overall.

It is easy to knock people who earn lots of money, but the picture is substantially more complicated.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battler03
Member # 10453

- posted      Profile for Battler03           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
The day my taxes stop going to grossly inflated government salaries is the day I stop complaining about them.

Grossly inflated?!

I work for the government, as do probably 99% of the people I know. We get pretty good benefits, but the pay is abysmal. Every job I can think of, we'd get more money in the civilian world--some of us, MUCH more.

There are many problems with taxes. Too much of them going to fund too many "social programs;" inefficient collection and auditing systems; an incomprehensible to laypersons tax code; etcetera. However, the image of honest citizens paying for a fat, lazy government employee to drink margaritas on the deck of the QE2 is just silly.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Agreed, grossly inflated is not the phrase I'd use to describe a government paycheck (which, incidentally, is taxable).

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.