FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mrs. BlackBlade finds a job!

Author Topic: Mrs. BlackBlade finds a job!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Warning, pretty long!*

My wife works at a telesurvey company and one day after a few months of employment they started sending workers home as there were not enough projects. After getting sent home early sporadically over a few weeks, they simply told her to stop coming in.

I had planned on finally paying my debt to my parents off that month, but the loss of her income and my car deciding it felt like relaxing at an auto repair shop put an axe in that plan. I had planned on going to California in August and seeing a few of you wonderful folks, but now my ability to pay tuition on my own in the fall seems in doubt. Going into debt fills me with dread.

Three very turbulant weeks went by. It is now three days shy of our first wedding anniversary and money seems to exacerbate any and all problems we might have in our marriage. I do the math over and over, looking at where I could extend my hours, think about trying for a better job with a better income. I drink water instead of that soda because water is mostly free, soda is a dollar. Usually I am fine all day, but when I climb into bed I feel ceized with panic at the thought that the future looks bleak, and what if she gets pregnant? What if I get in a car accident? What if I lose my own job?

Mrs. BB didn't make it easy for me. She is very timid and shy about rejection, As the days went by I put so much effort into trying to balance the line between being adament about finding a job asap and being a dick. Only God knows which side I ended up being on the most. Some nights she'd go to sleep crying because she didn't know what to do, or because her performance that day had not been up to par. I'd swallow my emotions for the same reasons.

Out of the blue, a chiropractor called and asked her to come in for an interview. Mrs. BB is a massage therapist by trade, and she was quite excited about it. The interview went off smashingly, and at her test massage she passed with flying colors, Mrs. BB after all has strong hands and a sensitive personality. The job seemed perfect for her, the clinic was even a mere .5 blocks from our apartment!

Two days went by and they never called back, so I had her call them. I had to tug her arm into doing it as she was certain if they were interested they would have called back. She got ahold of some manager/supervisor who said that they were really only looking at part time, Mrs. BB informed her that she was willing to do that for now. She planned on working two part time jobs if this panned out. The supervisor said she'd talk to the doctor about it and get back to her within two days.

Two days went by and Mrs. BB started getting nervous. I convinced her to call them again (again not an easy task) and was informed by the supervisor that she had not gotten around to talking to the doctor. Mrs. BB was crushed and was certain this was a dead end. Upon pulling up the job listing again she noticed it had been modified to disqualify the unlicensed. As Mrs. BB has yet to pass the state exam she is not officially licensed. I told her to keep her spirits up as they could have simply decided to hire her and in the future only hire licensed therapists. I must admit I had trouble swallowing that explanation.

Monday came and Mrs. BB against her best judgement but at my insistance (I was frantic for her to find a job) called them again and was told that they still had not gotten to asking the doctor about her. The supervisor apologized and said she would do it immedietly and that was that. Tiffany was told she would be contacted if things developed.

A week went by this morning my cellphone rang while I was at work. I'm not supposed to take calls at work but I just felt that I should take this call and snuck out to answer the phone.

It was the chiropractor office asking if Mrs. BB was still interested in the job. I told them she was very interested but that I had no way of contacting her as we don't have a house phone. I decided then and there to take my lunch break and informed the woman that I would have Tiffany head over to the clinic immedietly. The woman sounded surprised and said that would be perfect.

I got home, told Tiffany what had happened, and she got all flushed trying to decide how to dress and wear her hair. I spent the remaining 20 minutes of lunch helping her decide these things [Big Grin]

I go back to work and hours go by, I busied myself in work so I wouldn't worry about it. My phone rang again and I could tell it was Mrs. BB calling me via Skype so I snuck out again to take the call.

Mrs. BB met with the doctor who asked her to perform another massage on her. Mrs. BB again passed with flying colors and then was asked to work on an actual patient who had been in a car accident. Again Mrs. BB did a smashing job!

The doctor wanted to hire her right away, not only that he wanted to hire her full time! He said that another *licensed* massage therapist had applied for Tiffany's position friday but he was choosing Mrs. BB over her for the following reasons.

1: We live 3 houses away from the clinic

2: Mrs. BB's former supervisors all described her as "Punctual" which was something the other therapists were notorious for not being.

3: Mrs. BB although unlicensed was very gifted and clients responded to her better then the other girl.

4: Mrs. BB had called them repeatedly which demonstrated motivation and determination. (This reason by itself made me want to dance a jig)

So now after weeks of stressing, Mrs. BB has a job that pays much better then her previous job, it has steady work, its a hop skip and a jump from our apartment, its friendly, and its doing what she loves and was schooled to do!

California still seems like a distinct possibility now, I can resume paying off my debt to my parents, and most importantly we will have enough money to make ends meet!

I just got off the phone with Mrs. BB and I typed this post, today is shaping up to be a VERY good day.

I really hope this new job turns out to be everything we need it to be, signs point to yes! Mrs. BB is going to get some serious snuggling when I get home.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, BB.

I completely understand the insomnia that financial stress can put you through. Last night I was awake until 1:30, dreading the confrontations I might have to make over the next few weeks.

BTW, in case you didn't notice, you mostly referred to your wife as "Mrs. BB" but occasionally used her name. If you didn't intend to divulge her actual name, you might want to edit (I know some people are pretty adamant about sharing private info in online forums).

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! I don't have time to fix it, and I won't delete the post. I think I have divulged her name in other threads, and since I doubt she would really care,

Mrs. BB = Tiffany.

And she shall be Tiffany the rest of her days.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful! Tell her congrats!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats.
[Party]

It's always good when you can pay your bills.

As for point #4. That is how I got a job that relocated us to Houston. I decided I would call every week until they hired me or told me to take a hike. My boss later told me, it was my persistance that sold him.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! KPC has had persistence pay off as well. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. I think I'm more like Tiffany; I don't tend to persist enough. Probably good for me to read those stories.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Man scrubs were $60 plus tax for two pairs of tops plus one pair of bottoms. BOO! I miss buying clothes right out of the factory in Hong Kong [Frown]
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I always want to participate in threads like this but I never know what to say. So, uh, good work. To Mrs. BB. Finding a job. I'm genuinely glad. Even though this is the first I've heard of the problem. And it's already solved. It still felt perilous. There. For a minute.

So, uh, good tidings.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
I always want to participate in threads like this but I never know what to say. So, uh, good work. To Mrs. BB. Finding a job. I'm genuinely glad. Even though this is the first I've heard of the problem. And it's already solved. It still felt perilous. There. For a minute.

So, uh, good tidings.

Your congratulations are accepted [Big Grin]
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Smile] I hope it all works out great!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Though I didn't know it was legal to practice massage without a license in... place..that I happen to know you live in. I could well imagine chiropractic offices having various ways of getting around this, such as setting her up as an apprentice.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Wow. Though I didn't know it was legal to practice massage without a license in... place..that I happen to know you live in. I could well imagine chiropractic offices having various ways of getting around this, such as setting her up as an apprentice.

She works under the chiropractors license and with the understanding that she is trying for her license in the coming months.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.