FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stardust (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stardust
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the last film I have any excitement about this year, but I've been saving up. This weekend!

From Gaiman's blog:

"(If you're in two minds about Stardust, about whether or not to see it or even when to see it, please go and see it this weekend. Friday night if you can. Take friends. If necessary, take them at gunpoint. They will love the movie so much they will forgive you afterwards. And if they don't forgive you, you can dispose of them quietly -- you're the one with the gun, after all -- and you will have a wonderful time for the rest of your life with the new friends you made at the Stardust screening.)"

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
What? No love for Mr. Woodcock? Or Balls of Fury? [Razz]

Yeah, I intend to see it this weekend, on opening night. I've loved the book ever since it was an illustrated prose mini-series.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Casual viewers should be warned that the movie has nothing to do with Stardust the Super Wizard. Sorry, folks!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also enthused about, but probably won't make it to it this weekend [Frown]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why we haven't seen Bimbo Hart in any other movies.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. So this doesn't suck? Because it looks lame.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Never read the book, Icarus?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Not that I know of. Who's it by?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Neil Gaiman, of The Sandman, Death, Coraline, Good Omens, Anansi Boys, etc. fame.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I've heard of (but not read) him, but I haven't heard of Stardust.

Doesn't that diminish the value of Gaiman's recommendation?

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend is reading the book, and asked me if I'd heard of it, or wanted to see the movie this weekend.

I said: "What's it about?"

He said: "Oh, magical stuff."

I said: "I'm in."

Then I found out it was Neil Gaiman, and I was doubly in.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What Ic said. Both posts.

The more ads I see, the less interested I become.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I've heard of (but not read) him, but I haven't heard of Stardust.

Doesn't that diminish the value of Gaiman's recommendation?

I personally have not read the full blog post you and Chris are referring to, but I would assume Gaiman was aiming his remarks in the context of people who already know of and love the book.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a longer clip shown on SciFi last night during Eureka that was a huge improvement over the commercials so far.

The problem with this movie is the same problem with all cross-genre movies (Princess Bride, Serenity, Labyrinth). How do you promote it? It's a fantasy romance comedy drama action movie.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, a Fracdm. I love a good Fracdm.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The trailers made the mistake of adopting a snide "wink-wink" self aware tone that's quite honestly tired and worn out. One of the good things about the novel is that despite being clever and biting in its take on old-fashioned Faerie...it's also delightfully unpretentious and sincere. "Fun" fantasy doesn't have to mean snide fantasy.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
It's got Robert DeNiro in it. I've yet to see a movie of his I didn't like.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

You obviously haven't seen Rocky and Bullwinkle. [Grumble]
pooka
Member # 5003

The trailer didn't look that bad.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
It's got Robert DeNiro in it. I've yet to see a movie of his I didn't like.

Does this mean you avoided the bad ones?
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it instead of HP5
Because I still can't decide if it's worth seeing that after I just finished the book again.
I'll just whine and bemoan all the cuts and annoy people.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer is lackluster, yes. Mirrormask's trailer was equally "Huh?" and that one turned out really well.

If my Beloved isn't in South Africa by Friday night, I shall drag him to see it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Gaiman was urging people to see it this weekend so that it would have a good opening. Similar to how many Firefly fans (and Joss Whedon) urged people to see Serenity on the opening weekend.

I love the book and to hear that Gaiman loves the movie is encouraging to me. I've heard a lot of positive comparisons to The Princess Bride.

I doubt I'll see it this weekend but I hope to see it in the Theatre. I only get to about 3 or 4 movies a year though so I don't know if that'll happen.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the full trailer again on Monday night when we went to see Pirates. It looks like just my kind of movie. I won't get to see it this weekend, but I'll definitely be checking it out when I can. I still have to go see Ultimatum. I'm falling behind.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seeing Ultimatum on Friday, or I would definately go and see this.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Saw it today!

The good:

Peter O'Toole rocked, as usual.

Michelle Pfeiffer was an excellent Witch of the Lillim

Charlie Cox, his growth from hapless country boy to dashing hero was charming.

The bad:

Robert DeNiro hammed it up in a way the distracted and detracted.

Claire Danes' accent.

Plus, I wish there had been some way to keep all the lush, lavish creatures and artistic Easter eggs Charles Vess put into the book illustrations.

All in all an entertaining movie. The book is better of course, but like Neil Gaiman I'll think of this as "The Stardust of Earth 2". [Smile]

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Claire Danes really carried this movie. Her performance was outstanding. In a cast that includes a lot of stars, she shone brighte-

I cannot finish that sentence.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Puffy. I was thinking of seeing it this weekend and I trust your "reviews".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

What do stars do best, TL? [Evil]
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. This looks great.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it. I really enjoyed it. [Smile]

I agree that Claire Danes' accent was a little silly, but I still loved her performance. I thought Robert DeNiro was absolutely hysterical and I loved the over the top goofiness of his character.

And since I've never read the book, I am now compelled to go to the library because I'm sure the book is better. The book is almost always better.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The book, while still tongue-in-cheek, is a bit darker and more magic and creature intensive.

Plus, the pirate king is not a drag queen. Whether you see that as a plus or a minus. [Wink]

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really thought that Robert DeNiro could not make me laugh harder than he did when he cried in Analyze This, but I was so plainly wrong.

Charlie Cox was as cute as a button, especially with the long hair. (Lightbulb: Oh! He could be Michael if they ever made a movie of Howl's Moving Castle! That wasn't anime. And everything.)

There were a few bits of the script where I was like, Nnnnnnnggg, I wish you'd let Neil Gaiman glance over this before you gave it to the actors; but mostly I liked the film a lot. Michelle Pfeiffer was good, Rupert Everett in his wee bit part was good, everyone was good, I loved it.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie last night and it was absolutely wonderful! The story was simultaneously cute, hilarious, and sweetly moving. This was the best movie I've seen in a long time, and it really hit the spot. Also, I saw it with my boyfriend and I have to say this is a great date movie. (Although probably not first or second date material.)
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

So, anybody have any opinions on kids seeing it? My sons are ten and nearly eight. They saw the latest Harry Potter movie and the Spiderman movie. Is there anything really dark or scary?

My gut tells me they might like it, or might not, but most likely would not find it disturbing.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last night without having seen any trailers for it, and fell absolutely in love. I need to re-read the book, but this is a movie I think I definitely want to buy.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sold, and won't be checking in this thread at all until after I have seen it. Probably within a week or so.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Nothing particularly dark. Some scenes of murdered princes, but no visible gore -- not red, anyway -- and the princes become ghosts immediately, which takes away some of the shock. Oh, and a scene of a disembodied dead prince fighting, but again no real horror involved.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back, and i loved it. Loved loved. Some awesome stuff, a lot of unexpected humor and sweetness and silliness, and generally just a lot of good magical stuff. I was pleased:)

There is a lot of implied violence, to piggy-back on Chris's post. A lot of shots where the camera doesn't pan down or over to where you know something a little violent or gorey is happening. But I wouldn't say it wasn't "particularly dark" -- i thought it was very "violent" for a humorous fairy tale. Not in an offensive way, though.

[ August 12, 2007, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll see anything with Ricky Gervis(Brittish Office) so i'll see this sometime over the next week. YAY
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I kind of figured that was the way it would be. I'm pretty sure I'll take them. I'll be back to the thread afterwards, I'm sure. [Smile]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, I wish there had been some way to keep all the lush, lavish creatures and artistic Easter eggs Charles Vess put into the book illustrations.
Wait, there's a version of the book with illustrations?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The story was originally told in the form of an illustrated prose mini-series, erso.

I believe the collected edition of that version was re-released earlier this year in anticipation of the movie.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

While I liked it a lot, I don't think it will quite reach the heights of iconic fairy tale adventure the way "The Princess Bride" did. While it was fun and exciting and gorgeous to look upon, and it probably featured better acting, overall, none of the dialogue really stood out for me.

Whereas I can practically recite TPB.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that was actually Christy's biggest gripe: it was in almost all ways a superior movie, but it was somehow infinitely less quotable. That said, we enjoyed it enormously; we just can't quote it to each other. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding reciting Princess Bride, you're in good company, I suspect.

It's been a while since I've read the novel; never read the illustrated version. I enjoyed it quite a bit, particularly Pfeiffer's performance. And I enjoyed DeNiro (possibly because it's been as long as it has since I've read the book.)

The ending disappointed me a little, mostly because what I most strongly remember about the book "Stardust" is how the ending in some ways sends up conventions of myths and fairy tales, whereas while the action-ending of the movie has its moments, it's pretty much a conventional heroic-journey-movie action-ending.

I'd recommend seeing it. And I'd generally say that if a child has seen Spider Man 3, they'll likely find this rather *less* disturbing.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to see it this weekend after all. [Smile]

Liked it. Probably would've liked it even better if I hadn't just re-read the book last year. I don't think I can really enjoy a movie if I've read the book it's based on too recently -- I do too much compare-and-contrast and have a hard time getting into the movie.

I didn't mind Clare Danes's accent (she's a star, probably all stars sound like that), and enjoyed De Niro's character.

I'd love to see an extended edition of the movie. One of the bits that suffered for compressing the book was the timeframe -- the love affair being squeezed into a week instead of several months as in the book -- I'm not a fan of the movie cliche of true love being discovered and worked out right away...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that movie, it was so good.
the movie changes were not so bad either.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it. Loved it.

Not as good as Princess Bride, but definately made me laugh a lot, and I'd see it again.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Mostly I missed the Tori Amos tree.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.