FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Babylon 5 Movie!!! Lost Tales!!!!

Author Topic: Babylon 5 Movie!!! Lost Tales!!!!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

J. Michael Straczynski you are the most brilliant son of a gun I have ever seen, owning the movie rights but still in your own way releasing episodes!!

This movie is awesome!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww....I've had it at the top of my Netflix queue since it came out and it remains a "very long wait." [Frown]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok. It's very low budget. Most of it involved 2 people in a scene, sometimes 3. They didn't even bother with extras for the most part. There were *some* special effects.

It's good if you just want to spend time with characters you miss.

The brilliance of Bab5 was in it's epic-ness. These are just vignettes.

The first one with Locksley was pretty lame. But after that, when Sheridan shows up, it gets a lot better.

Bonus for SG1 fans, Teryl Rothery (Dr Janet Frasier) plays a reporter and gets a few lines.

I'm still buying the next one when it comes out, just because I love Bab5.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... can't wait to see it.
I wish JMS would just make a motion picture though...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The voiceover by G'Kar at the very beginning (with the comment about "even after we're gone") almost made me cry.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

My husband and I are huge fans of B5 -- we even named our cats Kosh and Delenn -- but this was bad. In fact, we stopped watching partway into the second story. I just turned to my husband and said, "Can we stop this so I can retain my fond memories of the show?" Without another word, he hit the eject button, stuffed it in the envelope, and put it in the mailbox.

Babylon 5 will remain my favorite scifi series (especially seasons 2-4), but I think that if I want to revisit what I loved about the show, I will have to go back to the DVD sets (I own all 5 seasons) and start over, watching the story arcs unfold and the characters grow and change. The heart of what made the show good is captured there. Nostalgic revisits to the universe cannot do it justice.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching Lost Tales inspired me to start watching B5 from the beginning again, so it's not a total waste.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Watching Lost Tales inspired me to start watching B5 from the beginning again, so it's not a total waste.

Nursing a baby inspired me to do this...lots of hours sitting on the couch with a free mind but no free hands. I'll probably take it out again if/when I have another child and need some nursing distractions. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been about six years since I've seen the show at all, and I had forgotten a lot of it. It's been delightful to watch through and go "Oh yeah!" all over the place.

Now, I just need to get through the crappy 1st season episodes...

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I'm in the same boat. It is painful, but I know (or am told) that it is worth in in the end. I'm only on number 4, and I hope they improve (even minutely) soon!
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Season 1 had two things going against it: Some of the actors still needed a bit of warming up time and (most importantly) the studio still had its hand on the scripts. They get their nasty little fingers out in season 2 and it shows. They kept trying to turn Jeffrey Sinclair into Captain Kirk in season 1, IMHO.

There are some good episodes and definitely some good moments in season 1, though.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
If they ever perfect Multiverse travel, I'm going to watch the Season Five with Ivanova. Sorry, but Lochley just never clicked for me.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
If they ever perfect Multiverse travel, I'm going to watch the Season Five with Ivanova. Sorry, but Lochley just never clicked for me.

Definitely!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
They kept trying to turn Jeffrey Sinclair into Captain Kirk in season 1, IMHO.
What are some examples of that?

quote:
There are some good episodes and definitely some good moments in season 1, though.
Yup. What's really annoying is when those are in mostly crappy episodes, so you have to slog through them to get the nuggets of joy.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
They kept trying to turn Jeffrey Sinclair into Captain Kirk in season 1, IMHO.
What are some examples of that?

Oh, I was mostly just thinking of his hands-on approach...coming off the command deck...going out with a group of fighters in the first episode...personally finding/rescuing Delenn from the soul stealer...personally going to fight that stupid alien thing that killed everything that wasn't a "perfect" whatever the alien race was.

Maybe I made it sound bigger than I meant it to be. It's mostly just this idea that the captain (or commander, in this case) needs to get his hands dirty to act the hero. Now, Sheradon had his share of action, but I always felt it was more natural.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You make some good points.

It's just that when somebody says "like Captain Kirk", the inability to delegate isn't the first quality that comes to mind. [Wink]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Mystic Spider Totem..."

"Gwen Stacy had sex with the Green Goblin and bore his children..."

"Reed Richards is God, and created everything..."

"Reed's poor, persecuted communist uncle..."

"Peter Parker works best when he's bitter, angry, and perpetually making speeches about hypocrisy..."

Oh, if only this will make him too busy to write for Marvel comics.

*hope-hope* [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Sinclair as Kirk -- there's a nice bit somewhere in the first season where Garibaldi talks with Sinclair and points out to him that Sinclair's put himself in danger several times, and asks him if he has a death wish... good moment, that, helped to make the risk-taking more plausible.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

As I'm going through season 1 right now, I am quite struck with how much Jerry Doyle plays Garibaldi as though he's Bruce Willis playing Garibaldi. It's like he's a poor man's Bruce Willis.

So now every time something rings slightly off with Garibaldi, I imagine what it would be like if Bruce Willis had said that cheesy line, and I smile. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.