FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moral dilemma

Author Topic: Moral dilemma
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
So, yesterday we went out to dinner and a show, but it turned out there were no restaurants in the area around the show's location. So we walked several blocks, still no restaurants, and then we saw it: Lights! Motion! So we go in, but, eh, it looks sort of party-ish. So we ask, "Is this place open?", and we are told that no, this is a private party. So, very humbly, we ask, "Could we please pay for some food anyway, and eat outside?" And the guy gives us two heaping plates for free! He even refused to take a tip!

Well, that's all very nice, but then today, we both have stomach problems. Not so nice. I am moderately convinced it was the chicken. So, should we go there again and leave a large tip; publish the name of the restaurant as a very friendly place we recommend to you all; or publish the name as a place to stay away from?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
They were nice enough to give you food for free; I'd say leave a large tip the next time you go there, but don't publish the name of the place for good or bad (do you write some sort of review?).
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but for unless there is a serious problem, it does seem a bit in bad taste to recommend people stay away. Especially if you aren't completely sure that the chicken was the cause of the problems (even though there seems to be evidence that it was).

What time did you go out? My guess would be that you got there towards the end of the party and they had a bunch of extra food that would probably get thrown out if not eaten. I'm not really sure that either praise or scorn is really necessary here, but that's just me.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd echo ricree; the food that is produced for a large group is not necessarily the same food that would be served to individuals, and there's no way to know (without returning) if your stomach complaints are a common side-effect of the restaurant's cuisine as a whole.

It sounds like their intentions were good, and while it bites me occasionally, I'm at pains not to criticize others when they're doing me a favor.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If it took that long to hit you, it's quite possible it's a virus you picked up at the show (theaters are FILTHY with germs, by their nature; even if they're spotlessly clean, that many people in a room is bound to lead to some spreading of illness) and not any kind of food poisoning.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were writing the story, you'd've consumed the leftovers of some dark, cannibalistic ritual, and the small demons birthed inside your lower intestine are still waiting to claw their way out. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
(do you write some sort of review?).

Yep. Right here. [Big Grin]

Well, I guess we'll go there again and leave a tip, then. And Tom, as glad as we were to get that food, I do feel that any demons summoned by chicken, cold pasta, and fried rice are going to be pretty wimpy and easily dealt with by my immune system. The phrase 'flushed out at high pressure' comes to mind. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.