FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cinematic comics that aren't being adapted to film.

Author Topic: Cinematic comics that aren't being adapted to film.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Much as I love how the Iron Man footage looked...much as I'm looking forward to The Dark Knight...there are tons of cinematic comics that don't currently have a film adaptation lined up.

Here's what I would pick:

Agents of Atlas

Jeff Parker's recent revival of Marvel's all-but-forgotten late 1940s-50s super-heroes. A secret agent, a talking ape, a robot, a spaceman, and a mermaid save the world.

And things like evil telepathic children and magical Broadway theater puppets are just throwaway bits.

Bone

Jeff Smith's fantasy epic...sort Lord of the Rings by way of Walt Kelly's Pogo. Nickelodeon almost did an animated version back in the late 90s...of which Smith has no shortage of horror stories about.

Done right, this could be a classic.

Space Usagi

Because a noble rabbit samurai who fights cyborg ninja and alien dinosaurs would completely kick butt onscreen.

Fables

Bill Willingham's fan and critic favorite for "best post-Sandman Vertigo fantasy comic".

The immortal characters of old fairy tale stories are hiding in New York, and the reason they're hiding has dire consequences for the mortal, mundane world.

Green Lantern

This could be the next 'Star Wars', if it was done right. Controlling the budget would be a huge problem.

The Courageous Princess

The comic already reads like the greatest Miyazaki movie Miyazaki never made. Hey, I should email the author about getting in touch with Miyzaki.

American Born Chinese

Combine epic thrills of the Monkey King, painful growing experiences for a shy young boy, and a hideously offensive sitcom for...well, one weird movie. Still, I think it could work.

Hellboy

Done right.

Eh, I can always dream. [Frown]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
What didn't you like about Hellboy? (I never read the comics, so I don't really know what 'right' would be, from that point of view.)
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

While I feel the Hellboy makeup was incredible, I feel the rest of the film was boring, uninvolving, and changed things not to make a better movie, but just for the sake of change.

(Why make Hellboy and Liz lovers? It really added nothing to the story. If there had been a point to it, I wouldn't have minded. But...it's just there. No reason.)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood movies have to have a love interest, even if it makes no sense and adds nothing to the story. It's a rule.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
(One reason I was highly impressed with the last Bourne movie. He steadfastly refused - or was oblivious to - a potential love interest because it was not in his nature and he was still too attached to his previous love. Bond would have been all over her in nothing flat. I prefer Bourne.)

Hellboy had the lamest, most boring ending monster fight ever. When the climax of your movie is an anticlimax, it's time to reshoot and re-edit.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'll also add on Warren Ellis' Orbiter...the very rare non-angry Ellis comic, about how cool and wonderful space exploration is.

I'd love a film where aliens are not THE EVIL OTHERS for the umpteenth time nor THE POLITICAL/SOCIAL MESSENGERS. [Smile]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You want the aliens to be sort of like Quark?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I still want to see Transmetropolitan starring Patrick Stewart...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm going to guess you haven't read Orbiter. [Razz]

And you've forgotten that Quark was used several times in DS9 to push a MESSAGE. My favorite was "Ferengi are better than humans because we've never kept slaves!"

...unless you count the entire female half of the species. [Smile]

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Aliens in real life would probably be as different than humans as they were in the Ender series.

In other words, unbelievably different. On that note, I still think Card did some of the best alien entities of any story I've ever read.

Then again, it's not like he has much competition for realism on television and movies...

The aliens on television just aren't... alien.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The aliens on TV are people with weird ears, bumpy foreheads, and their personalities ordained by species.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I still want to see Transmetropolitan starring Patrick Stewart...

As much as I love Transmetropolitan and Patrick Stewart, I don't think it would work. Stewart is definitely bald, and I know he likes the series, but I just can't imagine him pulling off the manic physical side of the character.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to read about some really alien aliens, I recommend Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It's not as much of a problem finding them in print. I think Mega was specifically referring to TV and films.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Hellboy

Done right.

*shrugs* I liked Hellboy. They are supposed to be shooting a sequel. Maybe you'll like it better?

And Green Lantern: I totally agree. One of the coolest super heroes ever.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The aliens on TV are people with weird ears, bumpy foreheads, and their personalities ordained by species.

You aren't the only one who's complained about the personalities.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
Hellboy

Done right.

*shrugs* I liked Hellboy. They are supposed to be shooting a sequel. Maybe you'll like it better?

And Green Lantern: I totally agree. One of the coolest super heroes ever.

Sure, but who? Hal? Kyle? John? Guy? Personally, I'd vote for Katma Tui, but I think Ron Leibman (based on his Hellboy work, at least) could pull off a creditable Kilowog.

Runaways could work.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

After seeing his performance in "Jeffrey" I think Patrick Stewart can do just about anything he cares to.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Moonshadow."
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After seeing his performance in "Jeffrey" I think Patrick Stewart can do just about anything he cares to.
I bet he can't play a gay guy.

Edit: That's the kind of thing you say, and then you realize, afterwards, how lame it was.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Why do you consider multiple choice GLs to be a stumbling block, Lisa? [Smile]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'm going to hope it was ironic. If not, go rent "Jeffrey."

Patrick, playing "Sterling," has just mentioned Martha Stewart and Ann Miller in front of his boyfriend.

Darius: Who's Martha Stewart?
Sterling: She writes picture books about gracious living. Martha says that nothing else matters if you can do a nice dried floral arrangement. I worship her.
Darius: And, um, who's Ann Miller?
Sterling: Leave this house.

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the Green Lantern movie I want:

Start it just with Hal, the test pilot. Maybe show him as a kid when his dad dies in the plane crash, whatever. Bring him up to be the test pilot, frustrated because he's doing so many simulators, when what he really wants is to fly planes, but nobody will let him because he tends to push them too hard.

Do the Abin Sur stuff.

Have him play with the ring. Have him get instructions through the lantern, the way he did in the older comics before he met the guardians. That way, we get one movie of Hal on his own. Maybe just a hint of the fact that Guy Gardner is out there, something to suggest the ring might have shown him another.

Have him go all the way through the final scene and the climax using the ring on his own. It's just Hal and the Ring.

Then, final scene, he's standing on a hilltop at night, recharges his battery, says the oath, great scene. You think it's over. Then the voice in the power battery tells he's done well, passed the test, whatever.

As he looks up, he sees that a bunch of stars are glowing green. He realizes they're not stars, but hundreds of Green Lanterns, all flying down to greet him. They fill the sky--Kilowog, Tamar Re, even Sinestro. Freaking G'nort is up there.

In the middle is a single guardian. He says, "Hal Jordan, Welcome to the Green Lantern Corp."

Fade to black. Crowds are crazy for a sequel.

Sequel is, more or less, Emerald Dawn. Training with Sinestro, learning the ropes, Sinestro goes bad, the Corp fights him. Maybe introduce Gardner in that one.

Third movie, bring in John Stewart, but only so that somebody can go film Cosmic Oddessy somewhere else. Third movie is the corp saving the Galaxy from a cosmic threat--Lord of the Rings on an intergalactic scale.

There's my idea for a Green Lantern trilogy.

No Kyle. I like Kyle, but he represents the end of all this great stuff. The movies need to be the start of it.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
I loved Jeffrey. I'm a fan of Paul Rudnick. See? Lame.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

You had me until you mentioned Emerald Dawn.

I would think Darwyn Cooke's brilliant The New Frontier proved that Hal Jordan doesn't -need- to go through an "angry drunk" phase in order to seem more human and interesting. [Smile]

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I agree.

I mean more the whole "training with Sinestro on Oa" thing than "Hal goes to jail" thing.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
quote:
I bet he can't play a gay guy.

Edit: That's the kind of thing you say, and then you realize, afterwards, how lame it was.

Besides, he plays a hilarious gay guy.

And there's this, but I have no idea what it's from.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Why do you consider multiple choice GLs to be a stumbling block, Lisa? [Smile]

You mean do a GL Corps movie?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:

Patrick, playing "Sterling," has just mentioned Martha Stewart and Ann Miller in front of his boyfriend.

Darius: Who's Martha Stewart?
Sterling: She writes picture books about gracious living. Martha says that nothing else matters if you can do a nice dried floral arrangement. I worship her.
Darius: And, um, who's Ann Miller?
Sterling: Leave this house.

Who is Ann Miller?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
As he looks up, he sees that a bunch of stars are glowing green. He realizes they're not stars, but hundreds of Green Lanterns, all flying down to greet him. They fill the sky--Kilowog, Tamar Re, even Sinestro. Freaking G'nort is up there.

Mogo?
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
And there's this, but I have no idea what it's from.
For the record, Lyrhawn, that is Jeffrey.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that came full circle.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Who is Ann Miller?"

Leave this house.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.