FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Daily Show, Colbert Report, 2008 Candidates

Author Topic: The Daily Show, Colbert Report, 2008 Candidates
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread on our attorney general resigning made me wonder two things.

1: Are both of those shows prestigious enough that presidential hopefuls in 2008 cannot afford to not be seen on them at least once, perhaps even several times?

2: Which candidates do you think will make appearances on the shows, and which one?

My own thoughts,

1: I think both shows are circulated so widely that a candidate who wants to appear vibrant, inteligent, and likeable really can't afford not to show up unless all the candidates follow suit. I don't think that will happen and so every candidate should probably plan to appear on both, and realize that how they do will build or break their candidacy.

(I am ignoring previous appearances on the show as I know McCain and Ron Paul have been on both shows. I am talking about appearences sometime in the year of 2008 amidst campaign fever.)

2: I think Biden, Edwards, Clinton, Giuliani, Obama, Romney, McCain and Ron Paul will make appearances on The Daily Show.

Giuliani, Obama, Romney, Huckabee, Edwards, McCain, Ron Paul will make appearances on The Colbert Report.

Also I am sure both shows will have an election watch night, I think I am going to watch THEIR coverage rather then any traditional news network. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is important for Democratic candidates. I think it is much less so for Republican candidates, especially the ones who rely more on the base.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of them have already been on The Daily Show already.

As for election coverage... with Jennings and Rather gone, I can't even think of who else I would want to watch.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with Squick, Republicans would only appear on the Daily Show to try and gain some cross-party appeal, but if it's between that and pandering to the base, the base will win every time.

Biden has already been on, twice I believe, and Obama was on before they went on vacation. McCain seems to be on once a month, and Ron Paul has been on both shows, as well as Huckabee making at least two appearances on the Colbert Report, both of which I think gave him a lot of positive attention.

I don't think Romney will appear on the show if he can help it.

Any of the Democratic candidates, especially Obama, I think will make several appearances on the show. Besides, Colbert himself will be the first to say that Democratic and Republican candidates alike who have appeared on his show have all done well, what he calls the "Colbert bump."

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAvgtdmuYf0

There's Obama's interview on the Daily Show.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Was pretty good too. That interview is what pushed me that last teeny tiny bit into deciding to vote for him. I wasn't sure before, I was still weighing all the Democratic candidates (well, except Gravel and Kucinich), but I think he'd be the best for the job, and he'll get my vote.

Of course, if Michigan goes ahead with their plans to hold our primary on January 15th, we may lose all our Democratic electors anyway, so my vote might not even matter. I hope it doesn't go through, I don't care about being first in the nation like that, I'll gladly go back to HyperTuesday so long as our votes actually count. If we did that, it'd force Iowa and New Hampshire almost into 2006. I hope that resolves itself.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Again I understand that MANY of the people have been on the shows before. As I said in parenthesis, I care more about who is going to make appearances during the campaign madness of 2008. A time where more scandals will be dredged up, harsher words will have been spoken, debates can be critiqued, etc.

I really can't wait for the primaries.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.