FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sasha story of the week Updated 9/2

Author Topic: Sasha story of the week Updated 9/2
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday Sasha, my wife, and I went to the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis.

As can be expected from a seven year old boy when faced with spending the day looking at plants, he didn't want to go.

As can be expected from a seven year old boy, after spending the afternoon playing on the rope bridges, in the water gardens that soaked him, and feeding the giant Coy, Sasha didn't want to leave.

But the most interesting thing happened around none of those fun things. We were crossing one of the main fields along a walkway where interesting statues stood every thirty feet or so.

As most of this was Modern Art, we played the "What is that?" game. He pointed out the Ape Transforming To Butterfly, and the Momma Gorilla Holding Little Man.

Next we came up on an chromed young naked woman bouncing a laughing baby boy in her lap.

"What is that..." I started.

"Oh, I know what that is. That's God."

He then ran on to the next one before I could correct him. Then I realized that he really didn't need any correction.

[ September 03, 2007, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Adorable.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
That's beautiful. [Smile]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute! Do you suppose he made some sort of connection with that statue and images of Mary and Jesus?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I have no clue what connections he made, and he ran off before I thought to ask, ready to look at the statue of Two Zebras in opposing fetal positions--a striped Yin Yang
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

updated:

While watching "The Muppett Movie"

"Papa, what do Rainbows smell like?"

Papa--"um..I don't know. What do you think Rainbows smell like?" I was real proud of that.

"How should I know?" he responded. Then after a moments thought he asked, "What does science have to say about it?"

Again I was perplexed. "I don't know. We'll have to look that up."

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a Coy?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Koi, maybe?

I guess you could say that rainbows smell like air or water, since the water droplets in the air bend light to make rainbows. Very cute, though [Smile]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbows don't smell like anything. They're an optical illusion.

No idea how you explain that one, though. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually answer questions like that with "ask your mother"...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbows smell remarkably like unicorns, I find.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, you have never ridden a sweaty unicorn.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but Rainbow Bright's power belt had a loud 60 Hz hum when activated. So I would guess from that that rainbows smell like ozone.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The ones you see in the sprinkler when playing in the sprinkler on sunny summer days smell like chlorine.

When asked questions like this, I usually make it into a science experiment. "How can we find out what rainbows smell like?" I think it's perfectly permissible for adults to say "I don't know! Let's figure it out" in answer to kid questions. They ask some really good questions that adults would never think to ask. What do rainbows smell like, indeed? [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
*pssssssssst... rainbows smell like rain dampened concrete/tar mixed with dirt mixed with summer-hot, hazy sun - don't forget to add a dash of freshly trimmed grass... at least that's what i think*
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbows? They smell of rusty pots full of gold. You can't move for them around here. Wretched Leprechauns...
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

anti-maven, if it's rusty, I have sad news for you. [Frown]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
A rusty pot full of gold is better than a nice pot full of rusty gold.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Rainbows smell of sugared dreams
Of Golden Curls and Faerie Wings
Of Dragon Tears and Elven sighs
Of Angel Songs sung on High

Rainbows smell of indigo
Dark ripe Orange and deep Yellow
The Green of Eire, the Blue of Sky
Purple of Kings, Light once gone by.

Rainbows smell of Sugared Dream
Ironed tightly on the seams
Or Viking Feet and Heimdall
So go my friends and smell them all

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would have just sniffed a skittle.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Viking Feet!?!?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heimdall?!?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
They smell like all of the colours that are in them.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

In Norse (Viking) mythology Heimdall gaurded the bridge from Midgard (Earth) to Valhala (Warrior Heaven). The Bridge was a Rainbow
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, Dan_raven. On a side-note - I've still got your quote as my email signature. The 'i picture the soul...' one. I enjoy how you write. : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.