FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: The fight is on, at about knee level

Author Topic: New column: The fight is on, at about knee level
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The fight is on, at about knee level

With the Labor Day weekend past we have now moved beyond the latest round of the most competitive, violent, injury-inducing sport ever devised by man. Also the most spontaneous, as a new match begins as soon as the kids see Uncle Chris.

I’m speaking, of course, of Kid Wrestling.

At every family event, there will be a bout. It begins when a dad, or an uncle, or a close family friend foolishly steps away from the rest of the grown-ups and strolls somewhere where there’s a lot of room and a minimum of breakables within flailing range. Maybe the living room, or the back yard. Very soon thereafter a child will notice him there, vulnerable, and will yell the traditional battle cry of Kid Wrestling: “Get him!”

There then follows a vicious, no-holds-barred battle royale as every child in the house under 10 -- and a few of the neighbor kids as well -- does his or her bloody-minded best to be the first one to sit on the man’s head.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Good laughs. Quite true, too.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Guilty.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hysterical. [Big Grin] Especially
quote:
Team tactics may be utilized in much the same way that a pack of wolves can bring down a full grown uncle moose.
That was deliberate, wasn't it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes.

I should point out here that there are certainly female Kid Wrestling athletes, but the overwhelming number seem to be male. Possibly because the women are smart enough not to get mixed up in it...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought for sure this would be a column about midget boxing.

Be the bigger man...literally...

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Oh, yes.

Kiss up. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Possibly because the women are smart enough not to get mixed up in it...

You said it, not me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That's based on years of observation, mostly of how my wife immediately grabs a recliner and settles in for the show.

The worst I've ever been taken down in a Kid Wrestling bout was while fighting with my son (then 7) and my friend Isaac's two girls (ages 8 and 6). Isaac, a wise man, had taught his daughters how to fight and how to work together so that the older one distracted me while the younger ran and threw her entire body at my head. It was like being hit with a 50-lb sack of flour. I went down hard, face first. He said later, with some satisfaction, "They won't stop a determined, prepared adult, obviously. But I pity the poor guy that tries to nab them, thinking they'll just cry. Honey, show Mr. Bridges that kick I showed you..."

[ September 05, 2007, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.