FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for Classroom Decoration Ideas and Other Teacher Supplies

Author Topic: Looking for Classroom Decoration Ideas and Other Teacher Supplies
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend started his first real teaching day yesterday. Since he went through several months of unpaid training this summer and was only assigned his classroom a few days ago, he's short on cash and hasn't had the chance to really make the room his own.

I'd like to get him some things for his room but I could use some ideas. He's teaching Freshman and Sophomore English. Right now I'm hunting for English-related posters. Like pictures of famous authors and/or quotes.

But what else would be good? He's the not type to go for posters of landscapes with sappy quotes or other cutesy decorations. So for those of you in high school, what do your classrooms look like?

For any teachers here on the board, what do you like and what do you always need extras of? Pens? Folders? Chalk? Bulletin board borders?

And what online and off-lines places are good for shopping for serious and decorative classroom supplies?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael's.

-o-

My classroom is pretty matter-of-fact. When I taught middle school I decorated a little more. Currently I have my two autographed READ posters, a huge TI-83 poster I use for demonstrating keystrokes, and assorted campus events stuff. Behind my desk are two small bulletin boards. One of them has school related things like the bell schedule, the calendar, and other official informative stuff. The other has personal stuff, like fun pictures and drawings from past years, pictures of my kids, and personal memento-type stuff. I used to also have a poster of Bart Simpson writing lines on the chalkboard, but I never got around to putting it back up this year.

Oh, and when we get a little further into the school year, I'll have my word wall up. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

As far as supplies, when I used to write on the board, I constantly needed Expo Markers (and before that, just to show my age, chalk).

A halfway decent idea is to find a calendar that's relevant, and then totally rip off it's ideas. One year I got dozens of math-related quotes for my board in just such a way.

I think READ posters are a great idea for any teacher. They can be bought online. It gives a teacher a chance to express his or her own personality by the choice of who is on the poster. (I think that's cooler than to pander to whoever is popular. Like POTC? Get Keira Knightly (sp?) and Legolas. Like Star Wars? Get Harrison Ford. Like Xena? Get Lucy Lawless. That way, the kids get to know a little bit about you too, and it provides an opening for conversation. Whatever you're into, there's a READ poster that features someone you'll like.

Keep an eye out for teacher-centered events at Barnes and Noble . . . sometimes they give away good freebies, and they also give great deals on books. (Hopefully he knows already that B&N and Borders will both give 20% off for books he's willing to claim are for his classroom.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a senior in high school and I wouldn't worry too much about decorations since I doubt anybody pays attention. That said, my math teacher last year had some pretty amusing comic strips posted up on the wall.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
At my husband's old school, they really wanted student work to be hung on the wall.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.