FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kid Nation

Author Topic: Kid Nation
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard about this upcoming reality tv show? The premise is that 40 kids, ages 8 through 15, are placed in one of those old, deserted mining towns in Arizona with supplies, and have to build their own working society for a month. They had to keep everything going (cooking meals, cleaning up, a government to organize things) with minimal adult supervision.

Obviously, there were cameras (and the associated adult workers) around them all the time, and according to the Wikipedia article there was a child psychologist and medic onsite at all times, although they tried to not interact with the kids much. The children could also leave if they wanted to, but no one was kicked off.

The trailer and kids's bios are at the first link, and are quite interesting. Some of the kids are extremely well-spoken, and have very fascinating takes on world problems.

If I remember to, I'll probably watch this show when it comes out. I would have loved to do something like this as a young teen.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad the presence of the adults will keep it from degenerating into a "Lord of the Flies" rerun [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
But it is: the adults are cannibals feasting those kids.
And the kids aren't even being paid as much as tv extras, let alone as much as television actors.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Except that at the end of each episode, one kid wins a solid gold star (I think solid) worth $20,000. That's much more balanced than most reality shows, where one person wins maybe $1 million, but most people walk away with nothing. That's not bad for a month's work, if you do enough work to earn the star.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A gold star would actually have to be fairly heavy to be worth $20,000. Like, probably enough to be fatal if it were placed on your head in the wrong way.

P.S. I guess that's only 30 ounces or so, but still.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
It's New Mexico, not Arizona (being born in that area, I have to point it out).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I already discussed this on another forum, but the more I read about it, the less I like it.

From what I can tell from the bits they are putting online, the kids don't truly "build their own society". They are told in advance what form of government they will use, and the overall structure of how it will run.

In addition, they have "contests" to determine the what "class" they will be in their society (like merchant, kitchen worker, upper class, etc.) That isn't at all how real life is either.

Seems there was quite a bit of grown-up setup in advance, so it is just the kids trying to work within that framework.

And I don't understand why they think they need to give kids a totally unfamiliar 1880s-style community to do this -- most don't have the skills to work in that environment because they never have. If they had placed them in a more modern community, it might be very different.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NYTimes:

The 22-page agreement leaves little room for parents to argue that they did not know what their children might encounter. As is standard in such agreements, the parents and the children agreed not to hold the producers and CBS responsible if their children died or were injured, if they received inadequate medical care, or if their housing was unsafe and caused injury.

But while such agreements might be standard for adult participants in a reality show, it also takes on a different tone when the minor and the parent are being held solely responsible for any “emotional distress, illness, sexually transmitted diseases, H.I.V. and pregnancy” that might occur if the child “chooses to enter into an intimate relationship of any nature with another participant or any other person.”

Covering all the bases, I see.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see it, but I would prefer that it be done right. Observe from the outside. None of those lame color-war contests.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a VERY beyond neat idea if it excluded all the elements included to make it a reality TV show. I think the constant filming of the kids alone ruins it as an interesting social experiment, I'd be more excieted about it if instead each child (and adult surpervisor) had kept a journal. And I agree with Farmgirl, there's more than a few reasons why this isn't going to "prove" anything.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be more interested in the kids could choose their own government. Wonder what America's reaction would be if they went with communism, or theocracy.

If there's no conch shell, I'm not impressed.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In addition, they have "contests" to determine the what "class" they will be in their society (like merchant, kitchen worker, upper class, etc.) That isn't at all how real life is either.
It would be more true to current life if they substituted standardized tests and family circumstances.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

From what I can tell from the bits they are putting online, the kids don't truly "build their own society". They are told in advance what form of government they will use, and the overall structure of how it will run.

Seems there was quite a bit of grown-up setup in advance, so it is just the kids trying to work within that framework.

And I don't understand why they think they need to give kids a totally unfamiliar 1880s-style community to do this -- most don't have the skills to work in that environment because they never have. If they had placed them in a more modern community, it might be very different.

Just my two cents.

No kidding. All that BS about seeing if kids can make a better society is just the sales pitch. It goes without saying that's it's a carefully controlled game which has been heavily edited to try and make it entertaining, just like all reality tv.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
A gold star would actually have to be fairly heavy to be worth $20,000. Like, probably enough to be fatal if it were placed on your head in the wrong way.

P.S. I guess that's only 30 ounces or so, but still.

I believe the video said 20 ounces, but I'm not sure.

Edit: On a second viewing, it's 2 pounds.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.