FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The itsy bitsy spider

Author Topic: The itsy bitsy spider
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Went for a walk with me this morning.

I picked up my jacket from the chair in my living room, and went out the door. I walked three blocks or so, to the appliance store down the street. After talking with the salesman/repair guy for about a minute, I took off my jacket, because I was getting pretty warm. On the collar, inside the jacket, was a little 1/2" brown spider.

The sales guy saw it at the same time I did.

I took the jacket all the way off and set it on the floor. Leaning in to take a closer look (I'm near sighted), I got a good look at the spider.

Why, it was none other than a Brown Recluse.

Pardon me while I shudder and get goose bumps over my entire body. [Angst]

I checked, and I don't see any early evidence of a bite, and I haven't felt anything like a bite or sting this morning. According to information I've researched twice now, I'll be able to tell within 2-8 hours; there should be a noticeable bite mark or other symptoms.

I think I'm ok, but it's time to bug-bomb this house, if for no other reason than it will destroy the food source that attracts these spiders.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have spiders all over my house too, but none of mine are poisonous. I live in an old house, and it's not "air tight" so I welcome the spiders. They help keep down the mosquitos!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate found a brown recluse in her bed near the beginning of the semester. She hasn't slept there since.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
She's been sleeping in your bed, then? Scandalous!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's scary! How common are these spiders? How did you know it was one?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wikipedia they don't bite unless in danger, so likely it was just sitting on your jacket.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Likely, it was crawling all over around under my jacket, thinking, "I gotta get out of here!"

In this area of Kansas, they are common. My dad routinely finds them in his house, and he lives just fifteen minutes down the road.

I know it was a brown recluse because I've identified specimens before. I took advantage of the science/biology department at the college where I work, to identify a few I collected over the summer. The identification is accurate; I know what they look like.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I see you failed to answer the real question, didja eat it. Spiders are brainfood, ya know.

And naturally GoogleAds brings up a remote control tarantula for your enjoyment.

[ November 10, 2007, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're okay. Spiders can be so frightening just because it's so hard to tell in a split second if it's harmful or not.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I was borrowing a wrench from the neighbors next door and both of them were in the garage. While the husband handed me a wrench his wife pointed by my shoes and said, "Oh look a black widow."

Before even looking I thought, "Well they do live in Utah but they wouldn't come up to this altitude." Upon a closer look that bright blood red hourglass showed up. I don't even go into the basement section of the house I am living in, I am CERTAIN there are at least a handful of spiders down there, I'm ignoring them for now, when the house gets demolished they will leave.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The not-so itsy spider rolled 'cross S'hara sand,
Met a German scientist and crawled up in his hand.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had some black widows in our garage and around our front door.

I think the extermination company planted them there.

*peers through closed blinds, clips newspaper article that might be message from alien overlords*

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
According to Wikipedia they don't bite unless in danger, so likely it was just sitting on your jacket.

Wikipedia also cites spiders being caught up in clothing as a situation where the spider might feel threatened. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

The darned things are just endemic around my area. I've killed a few since I originally posted this thread. In fact, just a few days ago, I smashed a mature brown that was hiding under my book bag at work. This is not a case of mistaken identification. I've become quite good at identifying these spiders.
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I get so creeped out by spiders. Where do you live so I know never to travel there?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Kansas was mentioned
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We have black widows here. I will never forget the time I let the baby crawl around and she came within 4 inches of picking one up and putting it in her mouth before I grabbed her away.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.