FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: It is very likely that I am quite possibly Beowulf

Author Topic: New column: It is very likely that I am quite possibly Beowulf
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It is very likely that I am quite possibly Beowulf

I have seen Robert Zemecki's movie "Beowulf," a motion-captured, computer-generated movie with Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, and Angelina Jolie, et al, acting out the script by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery based on the classic Old English epic tale, coincidentally also called "Beowulf" (after the video game). And I am here to declare my impressions for all to hear and take wisdom thereby, for mine is a tale of miraculous visions and a decent plot. Be wary, for there are surely spoilers within that will ensnare the untested moviegoer and drag him deep to a watery grave of ruined surprises.

Right off, you'll notice -- as so many Beowulf purists have -- that the original epic has been changed. This version includes trailers.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Love it. Dead on. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant!

(as usual)

You know, I think it's entirely possible that you have managed to incorporate more pop culture references into this review than the three Shrek movies combined.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, they made a third one? [Razz]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. They just washed and washed the last two until they were faded and drab, and then stuck a "3" on the results.

I liked the "fairy tale women standing up for themselves" aspect, but that was about it for a truly disappointing movie.

I AM BEOWULF!

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel I should mention that I haven't actually watched the third Shrek, but I was basing my earlier remark on an extrapolation of the number of pop-culture references in the first two movies to what would likely be in the third. I could be wrong...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Since I'm not going to see the movie, I spoiled myself with wild abandon, and thoroughly enjoyed the Ken doll remark, as well as the thoughts on creative cursing. Thank you.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I've seen Shrek the third 3 times in the last 5 days. I would rate it right along with Star Trek V.

---------

Great article! I now want to see a movie that I would otherwise have skipped right over.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm not liking the movie that much anymore.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.