FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » drawing anime

Author Topic: drawing anime
Luna 9
Member # 11326

- posted      Profile for Luna 9           Edit/Delete Post 
I am an advanced drawer and I really enjoy drawing anime.Not to say I like those crappy anime shows such as Naruto,One Piece,etc.In fact, I hate those shows with almost every fiber in my being.I also like drawing dragons, fairies, aliens, and chibis. Tell me, what did you like to draw when you were 9? [Dont Know]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked drawing anime when I was about 12, I think. It was a really good way to begin drawing. Now I draw more realistic looking faces, but what I learned from drawing anime really helped, in terms of the proportions of a face.

What I drew when I was 9... I think mostly Greek gods.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirate strippers and gypsies. And a duck ballerina en pointe.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
I was never much of a character drawer. I enjoyed drawing designs for spaceships and things like that.

If I ever try to draw a person, they usually remain faceless because I just can't get that part right so I quit trying. Maybe I should send you my sheaves of faceless characters so that you can fill them in.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
One Piece RULES
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
At nine, I was all about knights, dragons, mountains, and the occasional superhero.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i was in advanced drawing classes from age 7 or so until around 12 or 13. i was drawing lots of landscapes and portraits. I didnt start really wanting to draw anything with an anime style until right when i quit going to classes. this was back in the day when Dragon Ball was on, and for some of Dragon Ball Z.

I think i really enjoyed drawing landscapes more than anything.

Throughout this whole time i had a small cartoon figure named Maximo that i would draw during school and in some of my spare time. he was basically just a step or two above a stick figure, but with an enlarged cartoon face to draw expressions.

i tried to get back into drawing a few years ago, but didnt really take the time to practice or keep up with it. now all i ever do is doodles when i get bored during lectures.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel compelled to point out that the common shonen visual beats seen in the anime examples given are not -the- anime art style.

Not anymore than the art styles seen in My Neighbor Totoro or Planetes or The Rose of Versailles encompass all the myriad styles seen in Japanese animation.

To give a U.S. example, the "thick black line" retro-modern style seen in shows like Fairly Odd Parents or Kim Possible is not "U.S. cartoon style". It's just one look of many. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My drawing was pretty awful when I was 9; if you can draw anime characters that actually look like the ones on TV, you have a gift.

I think I mostly drew people and fantasy creatures, maybe the occasional cartoon character.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't draw then and I can't now. When I did draw, I made a fairly long series of a Gary Larson-ish one-panel comic strip. More than just my parents thought it was funny. In fact, it was a hit among their distant acquaintances as well as their friends.

I wish I had this much skill.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja turtles and Spider-Man. Maybe some wolverine.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luna 9
Member # 11326

- posted      Profile for Luna 9           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, do I wish I could send some of my drawings to everybody. Here's my book of drawings...we got a group of stupid homestar runner characters translated into anime, a Christmas chibi, a cute cartoon of a girl with a boulder tied to her waist at a lake about to commit suicide but at the same time a fish tied a balloon to his waist and raised out of water, a snow leopard building a snowman, a pretty forest scene, some fairies, aliens, holding hands, an ugly camel, Medusa, a sabertooth tiger, a stork, what started out as a woman but then ended up with the head of a zombie, a battle between Roboraptor,RC tarantula,a helicopter,and an RC dinosaur, and a well drawn girl. [Hat]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I all drew strip comic books at that age. We had our own characters and definitely our own styles. My main character was named Orville.

That evolved into drawing superheroes, which I was pretty good at for a while. Funny thing is, I never got into comics at all. I love the drawing style but I can't stand the stories.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"battle between Roboraptor,RC tarantula,a helicopter,and an RC dinosaur,"

I remember being 9 and thinking how cool such things are.

Daughter, why don't you post some of those pics on Daddy's MySpace? We have a scanner.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I posted several of my daughter's drawings on my MySpace page here. Check the "Skyler's Art" folder in the pics section.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Oh, and by the way, none of those were traced, they're all freehand. Of course, none of that talent comes from my side of the family. That's her mom's side. Oh well. I can still be proud, right?
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could draw like that.

[Frown]

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You think Naruto is crappy, Luna? Have you been spending too much time watching Cartoon Network?

Maybe you should check out some manga.

Alright, automatic Naruto defensiveness aside, I liked drawing people I knew when I was nine. Without their knowledge. In class, instead of listening to the teacher.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call Naruto crappy . . . but neither would I call it one of the best twenty or thirty (not sure about "or forty") manga series readily available in the US.

There are many things I would recommend first, though I might mention it a bit before thirty first, since it is fairly accessible. The length counts against it, however.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Naruto is not be the best out there. But the quality of drawing for the anime series is quite good regardless of how one may feel about the premise or story. Though I wish alot of anime shows would have biweekly episodes rather then weekly episodes, that way, they can cram more content into their half hour specials rather then so much useless dialog, and motion shortcuts.

I don't have myspace so I can't view the drawings.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
They're really good, especially the portrait of Medusa. In that one, you can really see her own unique style developing.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade:

I can barely watch the NAruto anime anymore, because I see all the filler annoyance, just... filling, and filling, and filling, endlessly! It drives me crazy! It's like DBZ that way.

While of course not the greatest story I've seen by far, I enjoy Naruto. The manga, at least.

Anyway, there's certainly better out there, that's true.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Medusa portrait, too. I agree that her own style is coming out in it. Keep drawing, Luna!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"Have you been spending too much time watching Cartoon Network?"

It amazes me how she watches these shows, then lambasts them here. If I hate a show, I don't watch it. And yes, she does spend too much time watching CN.

"Keep drawing, Luna!"

That's like telling the polar bears to keep being white. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.