FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think this movie is great. It is underrated and has brilliant actors

Author Topic: I think this movie is great. It is underrated and has brilliant actors
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a romantic thriller released in 1991. Here is its trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVt2h_UMnr0

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks interesting, the cast alone makes me want to see it. But alas netflix does not have it streaming, I'll try to remember it in the future.

While we are on the subject of singular movies in film history that sport an uncanny cast and received no attention, I have a recommendation of my own.

Right up front, the title is poorly chosen as it scares off the casual folk who would appreciate the movie for what it is. But don't be so cautious with this one. I'll let the preview ***somewhat NSFW*** speak for itself. But I would point out that Marianna Palka starred in wrote and directed the movie, which co-stars Jason Ritter who is the spitting image of his father in this film. If you like strange romance stories like Jack Goes Boating, Punch Drunk Love or even a little bit of (I'm stretching on this one) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I think you will like this movie.

Edited on the advice of Strider, thanks.

[ May 01, 2012, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite "underrated" movies which has quite a good cast is the black comedy Death To Smoochy.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
AH, you should give a warning about the trailer. It's probably NSFW, and it might offend people with certain sensibilities.

Looks like a good flick though.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sorry about that. It's a part of the reason why I didn't actually name the movie, as I've said already it has scared away many people from ever watching it. It did have a good run at a bunch of film festivals but in the open market it sputtered out and found a home on netflix streaming. I don't think anyone would be able to see it if i

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
One of my favorite "underrated" movies which has quite a good cast is the black comedy Death To Smoochy.

It really is too bad that Smoochy has discouraged Danny Devito from directing, I really like his view on pacing and lighting. And once again, phenomenal cast all the way down to Jon Stewart who has not been in a movie since. I can't help but remember an animated short from The Henry Rollins show where Henry narrates his audition for a Danny Devito directed film, he says the part is for a "punch drunk boxer" and I'm pretty sure he means the mentally hindered Spinner from Death to Smoochy. Keep in mind, this really is Not Safe For Work or sensitive people... but the rest of us hell-bound can laugh it up. Linky link.

[ May 01, 2012, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite underrated film is Big Trouble.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
AH: I personally refused to watch the film because I have run out of patience for films in which a guy stalks a clearly disinterested woman beyond all rational tolerance, ultimately heading into bizarre and dangerous territory, until she suddenly decides to hang out and/or actually have a relationship with him.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
My favorite underrated film is Big Trouble.

I prefer Nothing But Trouble.

Or even, Big Trouble in Little China.

[Razz]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
AH - He talks specifically about it being Death to Smoochy, it's on youtube. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Another movie which I thought was really incredible and really well cast which made almost no blip on anyone's radar.

Edit:

To please aspectre and ruin the surprise, it's the movie A Scanner Darkly.

[ May 04, 2012, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and Beverly were just talking about that movie the other day. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I haven't watched it in quite awhile, but it's sitting very prominently in my DVD library. Diabolically calling my name for another viewing.
Strider
Member # 1807

I haven't seen it since the theater, but I remember being disappointed with it. Though I can't remember if I was disappointed with something about the movie itself, or with the quality of the adaptation.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly all "underated movies" are vastly overated by some fans.
So I fail to see why anyone would waste their time clicking on a blind link to a film (preview) that even the linker won't bother to name or to make some relevant comments upon.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Your comment makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Maybe it is because Steve has no memorable history of spamming Hatrack with computer viruses, or seeing as we are all here because of our appreciation of the same books and complex story-telling it can easily be that you may be interested in a movie that Steve likes enough to share with the rest of the class. I'm gonna try and watch it, it looks good.

Speaking of Woody Harrelson in an ensemble of some worth, Bunraku is creative martial arts movie with stylized sets and animation to help tell the story and show the world it lives in.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The "animation" (in finger quotes) used in the film is a bit jarring at first, but it fits very well thematically with the story. And some of the performances given by the principal cast are among their best. It's one of the few movies I've seen where Keanu Reeves doesn't make me want to tear out my eyeballs with the sheer boredom of his performance.
Strider
Member # 1807

That's sort of why I'm baffled as to why I remember being disappointed. I loved all the actors in it. I love Richard Linklater movies, and Waking Life is one of my favorites. I think I'll have to rewatch it soon.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Air quotes... and "" quotes?

This is the internet sir, we have rules.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
That's sort of why I'm baffled as to why I remember being disappointed. I loved all the actors in it. I love Richard Linklater movies, and Waking Life is one of my favorites. I think I'll have to rewatch it soon.

To be fair, I haven't read the book, so I can't speak to its quality as an adaptation of the source material. If that's what gave you issue with the film.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.