FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you deal your depression?

Author Topic: How do you deal your depression?
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
I have depression right now. I can't do things that I normally do and the pandemic adds to my problem. I don't know what to do. Can you help me?
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
- Keep where you live - whether it's a house, apartment, dorm, or just a bedroom - clean and free of clutter.

- Make sure your living space is well lit, preferably with natural light, but artificial light works too. You can even buy special bulbs that fight depression but I've found that generic full-spectrum bulbs work too.

- Add indoor house plants to your living space.

- Make and keep a strict sleep schedule and get adequate sleep every night.

- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid sugar, heavily processed food, and especially alcohol.

- Talk to friend's and family often. Talk to them about anything and everything. Depression grows in isolation and social interaction is incredibly important for mental health. If you can't do it in person, call them on the phone.

Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

I appreciate the information and advice you have shared.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I started seeing a therapist. They talked me into trying prescription anti-depressants. They are helping so much!

The latter may not be for you, but I highly recommend therapy in times like these. If that's something you can't afford, drop me a line. We'll talk.

taylor dot bradford at geee male dot com

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

I agree with JanitorBlade. See a professional if you can. There are well-educated people who understand what you're feeling and want the best for you. They won't judge. Depression has as much to do with biology (brain chemistry, etc.) as it does with life circumstances. EVERYBODY experiences depression and almost everyone tries to fight it alone. But you don't need to. If you're in a dark place, there are always people who can add light to your life.
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
I started seeing a therapist. They talked me into trying prescription anti-depressants. They are helping so much!

The latter may not be for you, but I highly recommend therapy in times like these. If that's something you can't afford, drop me a line. We'll talk.

I'll try to go to a therapist but not now because of lockdown. I'm okay about it since I have still many unfinished books to read. I also read some articles on the internet until I found this one https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/the-implications-of-covid-19-for-mental-health-and-substance-use/ It's pretty interesting and I hope it catches your interest as well [Smile]
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hawser:
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:

I'll try to go to a therapist but not now because of lockdown. I'm okay about it since I have still many unfinished books to read. I also read some articles on the internet until I found this one https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/the-implications-of-covid-19-for-mental-health-and-substance-use/ It's pretty interesting and I hope it catches your interest as well [Smile]
Most therapists are doing tele-sessions online and it's definitely better than nothing. Mine talks and sees me through my webcam so they can at least see my facial expressions and hear the tone of my voice.

Check it out.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

[/QUOTE]Most therapists are doing tele-sessions online and it's definitely better than nothing. Mine talks and sees me through my webcam so they can at least see my facial expressions and hear the tone of my voice.

Check it out. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I hope I get the courage to do what you said but I guess, I'm not ready yet.

Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. It occurred to me to login because I can't talk to anyone I know irl about how I feel. Nothing makes me happy and I feel perpetually bored. I think I have adhd, but I can't bring myself to make the call to the psychiatrist because I'd feel so stupid walking in with a self diagnosis.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selene
Member # 14471

- posted      Profile for Selene           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I don't. It occurred to me to login because I can't talk to anyone I know irl about how I feel. Nothing makes me happy and I feel perpetually bored. I think I have adhd, but I can't bring myself to make the call to the psychiatrist because I'd feel so stupid walking in with a self diagnosis.

I am sorry to hear what are you going through. I feel your pain. How are you doing?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

quote:
Originally posted by Selene:
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:

I am sorry to hear what are you going through. I feel your pain. How are you doing?
I think he's fine already? How about you, Selene?
Selene
Member # 14471

- posted      Profile for Selene           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing great, thanks. Setting aside the worries because New Year is approaching. Happy New Year Everyone!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HellerThriller
Member # 14505

- posted      Profile for HellerThriller           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hawser:
I have depression right now. I can't do things that I normally do and the pandemic adds to my problem. I don't know what to do. Can you help me?

Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken”. ~ You will feel better than this, maybe not yet, but you will. You just keep living until you are alive again. Everything is just a state of mind, keep fighting, and keep believing that you are bigger than your fears and sorrows.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

quote:
Originally posted by HellerThriller:
Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken”. ~ You will feel better than this, maybe not yet, but you will. You just keep living until you are alive again. Everything is just a state of mind, keep fighting, and keep believing that you are bigger than your fears and sorrows. [/QB]

Great words! I really felt what you said. It hits my very soul. Thank you for your long heart-warming words.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Your bot is showing, hawser.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackpike
Member # 14522

- posted      Profile for jackpike           Edit/Delete Post 
Exercise for me.

I started cycling for kicks, not to get exercise or anything, but because it seemed like a fun way of getting around. It took me a couple of weeks to normalize that, but I noticed that when I got home from work everyday, sweating and panting, I was upbeat.

That led to cycling for sport, then lifting weights at home, and then swimming. I went through a bad break-up that earlier in my life would have crippled me for months. I ran through it and bounced back faster than I ever have. Fitness has become my addiction - I work out 1-2 hours a day, 6 days a week.

It forces me to step out of home.

Tends to regularize my habits - I wake up early and sleep early. I feel I sleep better as well.

I eat healthier as a consequences (again, I don't try to, I just do). I've stopped overdoing the caffeine, and don't have a craving for high-sugar foods anymore.

My moods are regulated without me consciously thinking/dwelling on it. I feel stable to the extent that I can't identify with the person I was years ago.

When I miss my workouts for a couple of days or more, I feel anxious, I can almost feel gloom creeping in.

FWIW, I don't think it needs to be intense exercise. I believe even 30 minutes of fast walking could have a very positive effect (a hunch, no data to back that up) if done daily.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alberto
Member # 14557

- posted      Profile for Alberto   Email Alberto         Edit/Delete Post 
The COVID-19 pandemic definitely makes mental health issues more acute. Being in the house this much time is very bad for our overall state of mind. Personally, I feel lonely most of the times. Even if I talk on the phone with my family, it’s not the same thing as physical contact. So, I completely understand you and I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Maybe you could try this FDA approved treatment for depression that I found online. I tried it myself a while ago, and I definitely saw some improvement into my state of mind. I hope it will work for you as well. Take care and be safe in these uncertain times.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Die in a fire, Alberto.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Die in a fire, Alberto.

Wood fire? Gas fire? Nuclear fireball?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Die in a fire, Alberto.

Wood fire? Gas fire? Nuclear fireball?
I vote nuclear.
Lilith
Member # 14573

- posted      Profile for Lilith   Email Lilith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alberto:
The COVID-19 pandemic definitely makes mental health issues more acute. Being in the house this much time is very bad for our overall state of mind. Personally, I feel lonely most of the times. Even if I talk on the phone with my family, it’s not the same thing as physical contact. So, I completely understand you and I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Maybe you could try this FDA approved treatment for depression that I found online. I tried it myself a while ago, and I definitely saw some improvement into my state of mind. I hope it will work for you as well. Take care and be safe in these uncertain times.

Why didn't anyone tell me about this some months ago?!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail2036
Member # 14663

- posted      Profile for Gail2036   Email Gail2036         Edit/Delete Post 
Unexplained or overwhelming sadness can be a symptom of depression. Learn more about depression, its causes, and ways to get better.

njmcdirect

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.