FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The end result of all social media...

Author Topic: The end result of all social media...
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
will be 7 billion people who all have each other blocked. Kind of like that South Park episode where everyone sued everyone else for sexual harassment. Bet Asimov didn’t see this coming when he envisioned Solaria.

Hmm

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelGibson
Member # 14574

- posted      Profile for MichaelGibson           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you can argue that participation in social media for what are primarily visual media is such a "reasonable accommodation" to your professional life, it is unlikely that litigation will go far.

thetermpapers

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

The thing I find interesting is how trolly and rude some very successful people often are on social media. What else does life need to give them before they’ll find a way to be more pleasant? LOL
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Interstellar
Member # 14611

- posted      Profile for Interstellar           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
The thing I find interesting is how trolly and rude some very successful people often are on social media. What else does life need to give them before they’ll find a way to be more pleasant? LOL

This is what gets me about it. people behave in ways they never would in real life or face to face when they can sit behind a keyboard and spew whatever evil sentiment they're feeling at the moment. I also think there's a ton of fake accounts that artificially sway public sentiment about things when there's really no way of telling who's real or not besides a blue checkmark.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Interstellar:
quote:

This is what gets me about it. people behave in ways they never would in real life or face to face when they can sit behind a keyboard and spew whatever evil sentiment they're feeling at the moment. I also think there's a ton of fake accounts that artificially sway public sentiment about things when there's really no way of telling who's real or not besides a blue checkmark.
I think probably some of the billions that Zuckerberg and other social media barons make need to be spent on paid, trained, skilled moderators. It works sure elevate the level of discourse, and prevent a lot of unnecessary rage.
Interstellar
Member # 14611

- posted      Profile for Interstellar           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think probably some of the billions that Zuckerberg and other social media barons make need to be spent on paid, trained, skilled moderators. It works sure elevate the level of discourse, and prevent a lot of unnecessary rage.
I would definitely be in favor of that, but I wonder if that's workable given the number of people on some platforms. They're certainly not doing a good job of moderating things to this point.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would definitely be in favor of that, but I wonder if that's workable given the number of people on some platforms. They're certainly not doing a good job of moderating things to this point.
I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m slowly reigning in and focusing my social media presence. At this rate, the only social media I’ll be participating in in a year or two is one or two highly-specific hobby and special-interest forums. The only thing that would reverse that trend is if there were paid, competent moderation on places like Facebook (which I quit a year ago), Reddit, Instagram, etc..

So given that, I think the problem will solve itself. Normal people will get tired of trolls/spam and bad moderation, and trolls will get tired of being banned and find something better to do, or go to troll-only sites like 4chan. The big sites like FB and Reddit will run out of advertising dollars because no one will visit, so they won’t even be able to pay moderators. Reddit doesn’t pay them now, anyway, and FB doesn’t have enough, and refuses to delete extremist content in many cases.

DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is why I use my real name in most online forums. It signals to everyone that I am a real person (and easy to find via Google, since my name is unique). It also keeps me from being a complete jerk because I can be held accountable for what I say.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.