Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » copyright symbol

Author Topic: copyright symbol
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've been haunting some 'zines, and I've noticed on a few that the site, or a particular contributor page has:

All reviews copyright ©1998-2001 Jane Schmoe

So my question, what's the point of the multi-year copyright? Not all sites or works have this, so what's it do that ©2001 doesn't? Is it for serials only? Obviously I wouldn't put it on a work I did three years ago.

Another quesion, if I don't get a piece actually copyrighted by the LOC, and I wrote it say three years ago, if I fish it around now can I still put ©2001 on it? Or should I put ©1998, or nothing at all?

Yes, yes, we all know you own the copyright as soon as it's written, I'm talking solely about the symbol on the page. When should you use it, and how?

JP

P.S. And pointing me to a book or two is fine, I'll use the reference for when some money is burning a hole in my jeans and I want to grow the library a bit. BUT, I would prefer some discussion here beyond just mentioning a book, if you've got any thoughts, as I can always look this stuff up, but I'm asking here to spark some conversation, and to let everyone share the wealth.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm--ok I had to think about this one. Have you ever noticed that Windows puts the copyright that way? I think it is to remind everyone that they have had the copyright since whenever.

In the case of a story in a zine---I think it is to protect the author by saying I wrote this in 1998 so don't even think of saying I took it from you because you have a copy that I published then. That didn't make a lot of sense did it? If I published an article in 1998 and then again in 2001 and I just put the little c as copyright 2001 than someone might remember the other one and say hey wait a minute---I wonder if that one was written by the same person. Or some nasty person may have a copy from 1998 lying around and say--hey they are making big bucks on this but I can say I wrote it in 1998 and---ect.

Other thoughts--it's misuse of the copyright symbol. <shrug> Simply saying you have the 1998 copyright should cover you---unless you have been writing the column or story in serial form since then and you want to re-state your rights to all the ones you have written. I believe cartoonists do this copyright 1998 - 2001. Though if you have each separate one copyrighted then why do that? Perhaps a matter of preference?

None of this helps does it? You asked for thoughts and opinions--LOL Ask a tired crabby person for sense and doubtful you will get any.

Anyway---If you wrote it in 1998 and put 1998 on it when it gets published you run the risk of someone by-passing the story because it is "old stuff". Put the 2001 on it to make it seems new and fresh.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You put this year's date with a copyright notice unless your material has been published already. Then you put the year in which it was published with the copyright notice.

Yes, it's copyrighted as soon as it's written, but when a copyright date is printed with material it is an indication of when that material was first published.

You don't need to put the copyright notice on any manuscript you send to professional publications.

You may need to put the copyright notice on material you send to semi-pro or small press publications, however. (The less professional they are, the less likely they are to know about copyrights, and the better it will be for you to put the copyright notice on work you are submitting to them.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.