Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do they care about marketing?

Author Topic: Do they care about marketing?
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Well, I thought when making my approaches that the fact that I've marketed my work already would be a feather in my cap, but now I'm not so sure.

I launched a website Sept 7th 2001, that has since accrued well over 50,000 hits. I even spent two intensive weeks in May redesigning the layout to keep it updated.

There's a soundtrack for my writing freely available on mp3.com - in fact, one of the tracks is currently no.1 in the classical charts at mp3.com

I've put a lot of time and money into giving myself an online presence, and marketing my work and giving it an audience.

But now I'm feeling that it counts for nought - that's it's of no value in the approach process.

The point here being that my site host is really ****ing me off - they suspend my site in error in May [no apology], and I've just found that they're still deleting my log files from the webspace I paid for, which means I have now lost all detailed records of site visitors during my past two weeks of paid marketing.

At the moment the only reason I can think of for keeping the site up is to blacklist my ISP.

I thought agents and publishers wanted someone who was willing to market their work. I've tried to show that I can do that. But now the money and time I've spent on it feel like a waste.

Bo**ocks.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
By all means in your bio--part of a two page query letter, use a heading that says, My Marketing plan: So far I have done XLM. I plan to do XYZ. Web traffic reports available upon request.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Sincere thanks for that. Guess I was just letting off steam - but now I'll simply hold back on the marketing until asked.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.