Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Vulgarity to teachers

Author Topic: Vulgarity to teachers
Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how many teachers there are on this forum but this is from a 16-year-old. What are your opinions of a student turning in a story with vulgarity.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that would depend a lot on what I perceived to be the purpose of the vulgarity as it is used in the story.

If the student was just trying to shock or be funny, and the vulgarity had no real reason for being in the story other than that, I'd hand it back and tell the student to rewrite it.

If the student was expressing something in the only way it could be expressed--in the student's mind--I'd look at it a little differently.

After all, what would CATCHER IN THE RYE be without the vulgarity (relatively tame as it is considering the way many students talk nowadays)? That's the way Holden Caulfield expresses himself, and it's part of his "sturm and drang" to say things that way.

It doesn't mean I have to like the story or want to see more like it, but I would be willing to allow a little leeway if I could see that the vulgarity was integral to the story.

It also doesn't mean that I wouldn't try to encourage the student to find less vulgar ways to put the point across, just because it could be an exercise in vocabulary development as well as an exercise in style.

C J Cherryh wrote an article once about how it isn't necessary to use ugly words to express ugly things. And there is an art to being able to express ugly things without ugly words that makes using vulgarity look lazy and sloppy at best.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a saying that goes something like this: Profanity is the result of a feeble mind trying to express itself.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school a friend and I had a teacher---creative writng that we hated. (with good reason) So we decided to write a story that would shock her.

Having been a military brat I was a bit more world wise than my friend who grew up on a farm.

We wrote a "love" story. Her story was filled with vulgar words. While I wrote about the same subject I didn't use "dirty" words.

I got an A, she got an F. We also got a note about not proper content ect. I was about 16.

As a teacher I try to look at content and context. But I know many teachers who freak at the smallest thing. But they are the same ones who stress over a sentence begining with because.

I hear more high school and middle school kids swear than any other part of the population---heck most of the music they listen to is filled with it---so teachers have to accept that it will be in a story that those same students write.

Unless as said, it was done for shock value--but even then I would most likely grade it on the grammar and same standards as the other papers. Not being shocked would solve the problem.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me put you in a situation ok? A little Roleplay you could call it.

You issued your students a creative writing assignment that has no real guidelines but school appropiate (no sexual or extreme violence). You look at someone's writing that includes a sentence that states.

The woman stared at the man's eyes and could smell the hint of perfume flowing from his jacket. She knew it was not him for she had not even met him for the first time since that morning. "D**n you Jack!" she shouts. "I love you!"

is this appropiate given the self-explained situation in the story? Or would you request a rewrite?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd request a rewrite just because the grammar is messed up. There are two tenses in that quote, and the bit about "she had not even met him for the first time since that morning" doesn't make sense.

Besides that, the situation isn't explained.

Yes, I'd request a rewrite, but not because of the swear word.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 30, 2003).]

cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a saying that goes something like this: Profanity is the result of a feeble mind trying to express itself.

I agree with that one hundred and twenty-seven percent, Kolona, (despite it's mathematical impossibility ) but which is the feeble mind here? The writer's? Or the character he/she's trying to write about? I mean, yes, you shouldn't use profanity if you can avoid it (like, in narration, for example, unless the story is in first person POV, and said person is not very refined or educated) but when trying to portray, say, a gangster from Los Angeles trying to intimidate someone else (and here, I apologize to all Los Angeles gangsters ), then I imagine quite a bit of profanity would be used.

It all depends on the character, really.

Glad I could help (if I did at all, I mean),
Chris

PS: In my own stories, I try to shy away from swear words that take the Lord's name in vain. Everything else, I use freely, believing that they are common words that became dirty over time. (Fer example, did you know the f-word is an acronym? It's true.)

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited January 30, 2003).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Enders Star
Member # 1578

I agree I don't use the Lords name in vain. I find it blasphemous. In my writings. Oh and consider this I'm an ammature writer. Good ideas suck grammar.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

There is another way to show that a character is not very refined or educated (that you ought to consider using whether you include vulgarity, profanity, etc or not).

Rita Mae Brown, in her book on writing (I don't recall the title right off, sorry) spends quite a bit of time talking about word choice in dialog as an important tool of characterization.

Educated characters will tend to use more multi-syllabic (she calls them Latin-based) words in their dialog. (I submit that you can show a character is uneducated and presumptuous if such a character uses big words incorrectly.)

Uneducated characters (or those who want to appear that way) will tend to use more one-syllable (she calls them Anglo-Saxon-based) words in their dialog.

English is such a rich language, with many ways to say something, with plenty of one-syllable words to say the same thing as the multi-syllable words, that you can show the reader how articulate and/or educated a character is every time that character speaks. Whether that character uses swear words (most of which are Anglo-Saxon based) or not.

This preference for the Anglo-Saxon words among those who are considered poorly educated is probably why there are sayings such as the one quoted by Kolona above, about feeble minds. The words we use when we talk can stigmatize us, and they can certainly be used to characterize in a story.

JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to totally disagree with the “swearing is the way feeble mind expresses itself” thing. I hate to seem argumentative, but in the real world people swear---some very intelligent people swear. Yes, not everyone uses profanity, and I think that is a very good and easy way to show contrast between characters. I’ve actually done this before and thought it came off rather well. The story involved a group of friends all of which swore on a regular basis, except for the one character who was fairly straight-edged. I never called attention to and his friends were used to it so they didn’t give him guff when he said something like, “What the eff is going on?”

Sometimes I’ll draw from my on life as well. Like others on the this thread I won’t use the Lord’s name in vain—“JC” and “GD” or two of my least favorite expressions. So, I say things like “Gee whiz” or “Gosh Darn.” Now, this is only funny because I have no problem using every other swear word in the English language. It’s especially odd when the phrase, “Gosh f—king darn,” leaves my mouth.

I’ve been in a similar situation as the aforementioned student. Honestly, I don’t think the word, “damn” warrants a rewrite or parent/teacher conference or anything. If four letter words were flying around every other sentence, then I would definitely ask for a rewrite. The way I got around this problem was I edited myself, similar to what I did above. If the word couldn’t be said in a PG movie, I would just do the good ol’ f—k, or s—t, or whatever. You get your point across, and only mildly offend people.

JOHN!

Oh yeah, and a lot of thought goes into my swearing---it’s an art form when done well.

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting From Scratch: a different kind of writing manual, by Rita Mae Brown
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Yes, thank you, Marianne.
writerPTL
Member # 895

- posted      Profile for writerPTL   Email writerPTL         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the people that say you can use profanity in dialogue... If it's good enough for Steinbeck, it's certainly good enough for me.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Do I swear? No, I do not use the JC or GD swearing. I do use profanity. Sad, but true. Give me a set of tools and a non-working car or computer and bring your earplugs. LOL

I spoke at the 2001 Kaiserslauter Young Author's convention in Germany. A group of high school and middle school students had signed up for the one of the "one on one" speak to an editor session I did.

When Enders Star said, "Good ideas suck grammar." I thought of a question I asked.

I asked, "How much time do you spend on rewrites?"

I got blank stares and one smart young man said, "I run spell check and grammar check." Thank the deity of writing that he at least did that much.

This led to more discussions about an editor's job. These young people seemed to think only losers had to do re-writes.

I told them, good writing is re-written. They did not agree.

I understand that while in the "zone" --that time when ideas flow fast and furious and your writing is golden, that it seems those sentences are perfect----often the ides are gold during that time. But a simple re-write can clarify those ideas so everyone else can see the gilded sunshine as well. The story is in your head and it’s hard to see the imperfections.

As to the sample sentences--- I more than agree with Kathleen--I would not ask for a rewrite based on the swear words, but because the sentences make little sense grammatically.

Every writer needs to realize that grammar is their friend and not some monster teachers made up to terrorize them.

In the program guide to the 2001 Kaiserslauter Young Author's Conference ---I said---I am often asked if good grammar matters. I always say, No, it doesn't---not unless you want to see your work in print.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
a simple re-write

Never heard of such a thing. Mine are anything but simple.

Enders Star
Member # 1578

I must admit that teachers (some) will terrorize you with grammar. In highschool you aren't taugh it enough. Literature focuses on mainly reading and comprehension then learning about the basics of writing. I wish someone would teach me and not just say, "go pick up a grammar book.". The truth is I don't have big problems with commas, spelling, word usage, but instead clarity and getting my ideas across. Its hard when your mind, like mine, is complex and sometimes to complex to get your ideas accross to the reader. I imagine as I write and that is good and all but instead you tend to leave important things out. When I write my short storie and sometime poetry I imagine it, whether the poetry is to far emotionally blissed, and I fail to include important things. Which will soon leave my editor asking, "What do you mean byt this?" or "I need clarification". So re-write I find is neccessary to anything. I even wonder how many times Mr. Card might have spent rewriting things in "Enders Game" or "Enders Shadow". (Which by the way I just got today from the library and am reading now as we speak)

[This message has been edited by Enders Star (edited January 31, 2003).]

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
most of what i know about grammar i learned from reading. school really doesn't teach grammar like (i imagine) it used to. when i got to college, my composition teacher was dismayed at how few grammar rules we knew (i would say shocked, but i think he's had enough experience with the students schools churn out now to be over it). he started teaching us various rules but stopped after the first paper we turned in. we all knew the rules, even if we didn't know their names. i imagine not learning the names and not having them drilled into your head can hurt some students--obviously some in my teacher's former classes had sub-par grammar--but just because school doesn't teach grammar doesn't mean you shouldn't know it.

though i suppose good grammar is a part of the editing process more than anything--at least when the juices are really flowing and you have a great idea to get down. i know if i stop to make sure my prose is pretty i can lose track of where i'm going.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Enders Star
Member # 1578

I'm glad you know what I wwas talking about.
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
though i suppose good grammar is a part of the editing process more than anything

Suppose? I hope you were being facetious here. A check-up in any field starts with the basics, like vital signs in medicine.

quote:
--at least when the juices are really flowing and you have a great idea to get down. i know if i stop to make sure my prose is pretty i can lose track of where i'm going.

Pretty prose is not synonymous with good grammar. Technically accurate prose can be quite unpretty and pretty prose can be grammatically incorrect. The former can be very formal and stilted and/or boring and the latter the result of artistic license.

Artistic license is not a starting point, however. A writer must know the rules before he can bend them in a plausible way -- maybe like an architect needs to understand stuctural concerns before he can actually design anything. (I'm not sure that's a great example since I'm not an architect, but it sounds reasonable to me. )

Getting ideas down on paper without concern about grammar or other technicalities is a legitimate method many writers use to capture inspiration. They know, though, that what they're writing is only rough, first draft material that will need polishing, if not a complete overhaul.

A writer with no idea of proper writing techniques will hardly be able to improve what he wrote while his "juices" were flowing, and may even convince himself that because of that exhilarating flow, what he has written doesn't need editing.

Bottom line: There is a discipline to writing that provides inspiration its best and greatest stage.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 02, 2003).]

srhowen
Member # 462

If you use good grammar everyday, and know it well, then when the juices are flowing it will come out.

Again, I say, grammar is not some awful set of cement shoes. You must use good grammar in your writing---rough draft in that pouring out flow is fine, but on re-write you must fix it.

Shawn

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pretty prose is not synonymous with good grammar. Technically accurate prose can be quite unpretty and pretty prose can be grammatically incorrect. The former can be very formal and stilted and/or boring and the latter the result of artistic license."

i agree. i thought that in the context of my post it was understood that i was speaking of grammar. at any rate, still a good point to keep in mind, along with your bit about artistic liscence.

"If you use good grammar everyday, and know it well, then when the juices are flowing it will come out."

well, yes and no (for me anyway). i get picky. and if i start getting picky while i'm trying to get a thought down, i get discouraged.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.