Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » HTML Blues

Author Topic: HTML Blues
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
A particular guidelines list for an e-mail submission requires all text to be left-justified, with paragraphs separated by a single line space.

However, in my text I quote a few short paragraphs from a book, including dialogue quotations. In my original, single-spaced Word document I introduced the block with a sentence ending with a colon, skipped a line, narrowed both margins to offset the block, and skipped a line before continuing the rest of the text normally.

If all margins are to be left-justified with line spaces between paragraphs, how do I indicate the extra-narrow margins and line spaces before and after the block? They mention HTML tags regarding italics and lists. Would HTML have an inset tag?

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 13, 2003).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
del
Member # 1587

- posted      Profile for del           Edit/Delete Post 
Use < pre > without the spaces, at the start of whatever you're pasting in there. It's for preformatted text.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

OK, Del, you're talking to a compu-neophyte here. What spaces? Do you mean < pre > should actually be <pre>? Or do you mean that within the block of text with the extra-narrow margins I shouldn't skip a line space between the paragraphs as I do for the rest of the text? Or do you mean something entirely different?

[Note: I edited my original message because I was afraid it could have been construed that I meant letter spaces instead of line spaces. ]

Am I correct to assume that at the end of the block I'd put </pre> or < /pre >? That's probably a Duh! question, but assume is a dangerous word.

I'm not really pasting anything, if you mean cut and paste. I'm just entering text and formatting it myself. Does that make a difference?

Preformatted text -- does that specifically mean narrowed margins and an extra line space before and after the segment, or does it cover a variety of odd formats?

(Sorry about my obtuseness. It's why I hated trig. The teacher always took mental shortcuts, while I needed to see every step. It's also why I loved plane geometry. Each step had to be explained logically. )

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 13, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 14, 2003).]

JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can safely jump in here (recognizing that all of my answers are further subject to Del's response).

Pretty sure the spaces he was referring to were within the <> i.e. <pre></pre>.

Yes, you need to end your formatted paragraph with </pre>.

Re: pasting vs. just typing text - nope, it doesn't matter. Pretty sure Del meant pasting in the "drop it in there" sense of the word, however you want to get the text in there is fine.

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that <pre></pre> only indents on the left, and then full-justifies the paragraph so you have a smooth margin on the right (but not an indented margin on the right). As for whether or not it puts an automatic break above and below the paragraph, I'm not sure. My guess is no, but I wouldn't worry about it since you're not doing all of the HTML coding. Someone else will be responsible for making the spacing above/below your formatted text look right. Just make sure you have the spacing you want above/below the paragraph, and make sure you start/end it with <pre></pre>.

OKAY, ALL OF THAT SAID....
I think you should use <blockquote></blockquote> instead of <pre></pre>. <blockquote> will indent BOTH margins the same (though it won't full-justify). Use it the same way we've said to use <pre>.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
[crude example]
blah blah blah here is my first paragraph, blah blah blah blah on and on and on and on and on and on and blah blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda yadda.

<blockquote>Here is my second paragraph. I don't worry about paragraph spacing cause that's someone else's job, so i just need the code for this formatted quote here so it looks indented on both sides (though not like it does here cause the html tags don't work in the post). So, this should be all you have to do to indicate your indented text.</blockquote>

And here is the beginning of my third paragraph.....
[/crude example]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One thing, just double checked with a buddy of mine. He said it does insert a space/break before and after the text. I wouldn't worry, though, cause I would imagine they'll make the spacing correct. If you're worried about it, though, I guess you could eliminate the spacing before/after the formatted paragraph, then it would look like this:

paragraph1 (then a single return, with no space)
<blockquote>paragraph2</blockquote> (again with one return and no space)
paragraph3

If you put the spaces between the paragraphs, I have to imagine they'll take them out rather than have double spaces around the quoted text.

*whew* I hope that helps. It's like trying to teach Trig over a chat board . Seriously, feel free to ask anything, and if you'd rather e-mail me, feel free.

JP

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, if you happen to get interested in learning a little more about HTML, I highly reccommend this site:

http://www.pagetutor.com/pagetutor/makapage/index.html

It teaches you step-by-step and assumes no prior knowledge. I learned more about HTML using this tutorial in a few hours than my mother did taking a class over the course of a few months. It also has links to free resources such as notepad lite, color charts, and HTMLib (an index of all the tags you'll ever need). The basic HTML tutorial is free; if you want to learn more complex coding, it's rather cheap to do so.

It's awesome.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Del, JP, Shasta -- Thank you all so much. Your help has been invaluable and much appreciated.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that I've found an invaluable resource is looking at the source for a page whenever it has an effect that I haven't seen before and want to know how to replicate.

If you copy the page to your own computer, and use the view-source function, you can directly edit the source of the page and see how that affects it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can just use "View Source" directly on your browser. You have to be careful though... if the page you're viewing is a frame page, then you have to view each frame by right clicking on it and then use the view source function in your toolbar to view the actual framepage in order to get a complete picture.

Also, if the page is written in anything besides HTML, there is a good chance there's alot of code you'll never see by using View Source at all... and that way lies disasterous folly for silly people like me. I tried to reproduce a page once that was in PHP by copying what I could see and making just a few surface changes... turns out all I had been able to copy was surface stuff, and I lost all the functionality of the page. Don't try it! No! Bad!

View Source is a great way to learn new techniques with regular HTML, though, I'll agree wholeheartedly with that.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Wow. I'm going to have to set aside some time to break all this down. But this is good. Blockquote sounds promising, JP, and PageTutor seems like just what I need. Survivor and Shasta, I didn't realize you could deconstruct, basically--if I'm reading this right, other texts. That would be very instructive. Gotta brave Shasta's warnings and try ViewSource. You may have started something scary here, Del.
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah - and then there's me with every paragraph typing in:

<P ALIGN="LEFT">The paragraph here.</P>

Kolona - if you send it to my chronicles e-mail I'm format the HTML for you if you'd like.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited February 17, 2003).]

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

CofE, that's a very sweet, generous offer -- and one I'm tempted to take -- but I'd like to try this myself. However, I will consider you my backup position, so stand by.

OK, big stupid question to those who have made submissions using e-mail attachments:

If #5 in a set of writer's guidelines says to use a simple text-file attachment OR an MS Word file, and #8 says "All text should be left-justified and each paragraph separated by a single line space", does "All" mean both file formats should be left justified, etc.? Or would that only be for the text-file, while the Word file would be formatted as usual with indenting and double spacing throughout?

#9 says "Format words to be italicized using HTML tags..." and #s 10 and 11 give directions about formatting lists and links with HTML tags. Again, do I still do all this if I'm e-mailing a Word file attachment? Or is this only if I send a simple text-file?

For all I know, it may be easier for them to reformat for online publication if even Word files have these designations. Anyone?

(As you may have gathered, this is my first e-mail attachment submission. I've submitted with snail mail and in the body of an e-mail, but never with an e-mail attachment.)

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona -

I don't understand why someone would ask for a plain text submission with HTML tabs. Frankly, I smell something a little suspicious here, as if they're planning to simply put up the sample on a website - the old pay and display shark agent tactic. You got this agency properly sussed?

JP Carney
Member # 894

COE, I'm not sure I understand your concern. Seems to me they're just wanting you to put in the tags rather than the rich text formatting so they don't have to go through and remove all the rich text formatting and insert the tags themselves. I've seen more than a couple of web zines that asked for the tags rather than any rich text formatting, or at the least some sort of indication of emphasis (such as _for bold_ and *for italics*). Not that your suggestion isn't a valid one regardless, as we should all do our research on publications we want to submit to.

Kolona, just guessing here, but I'd say they want the tags in both formats. Actually, the .txt format is probably preferable to them, though they understand that most people will probably be more comfortable using something they use every day - .doc. What I'm guessing what they don't want is any rich text formatting - meaning formatting where you use your word processor features to bold, italicize, or tab or indent or otherwise format your text. I'd guess they're asking you to use the tags to make it as easy as possible for them to put your story up on their web site. It's simply a pain if they have to undo all of your tabs just so they can <blockquote></blockquote> your text so it looks correct.

If you want to be sure you've got all the tags you need to indicate what your document is supposed to look like, save it as a text file (.txt) and then open it in your internet browser. You should then see, basically, what your document will look like on the web (prior to your publisher doing any work to the document). Don't worry if it's not perfect, as the publisher should double check all the details, but this will at least give you some idea of what the tags are doing and what your mss will look like.

Finally, in your post you said "simple text-file attachment OR an MS Word file". I'd choose the simple text file if it were me, and make sure you only send one - don't send both attachments (you did say the guidelines said "OR").

Hope this helps.

JP

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Ah, yes - if it's for an online mag then there's no issue. My concern was if it was an agency - I've seen some offer to take samples and place them on the web for a fee.

Kolona
Member # 1438

I am so glad I asked my original question.

Rest assured, CofE, that I have every confidence in the online site. The guidelines were written for people more computer savvy than I, apparently -- maybe purposely to discourage amateurs like me.

JP, you opened up a bunch of questions for me, but I'm going to play around with this a bit before I frustrate your patience. You did confirm what I thought, that I should include the tags, even in Word.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Ah, I see your concern, CofE, but it's not an agency.

(Apparently you posted while I was preparing my response. )

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 19, 2003).]

JP Carney
Member # 894

Not at all frustrating, Kolona. I actually enjoy piddling around with HTML and web pages (moreso than writing it seems, lately). It's not necessarily intuitive stuff, so no question is too basic. Feel free to ask me anything, and like I said earlier, feel free to e-mail if you want to.

JP

Kolona
Member # 1438

You're a dear, JP. So far I've thought the thread might be useful to other compu-neophytes, but as more specific questions strike me I'll probably be showing up in your e-mail. Thanks so much for being a willing helper.

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you want to be sure you've got all the tags you need to indicate what your document is supposed to look like, save it as a text file (.txt) and then open it in your internet browser. You should then see, basically, what your document will look like on the web"

i know a little html, not fluent, but "conversational" let's say. i tried what you said out of curiousity and my .txt just opens in notepad. so if you don't mind answering a possibly stupid question...why did it and how do i change that?

TTFN & ?

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

*Lifts head from keyboard* I'm such a ninny! *bangs head on keyboard*

Not a stupid question at all, Cosmi. I wasn't really thinking things all the way through when I posted before. Your file needs to have an .html extension rather than the .txt (or .doc) extension. So, either save the file as an .html document, or if you have a .txt file already, then just rename the document and replace the .txt with .html. That should then allow you to double click on the file and have it open in your default browser.

The reason I said to save it as a .txt file originally was that I'm used to editing my HTML in Notepad/Wordpad, general text editors, and forgot that the file extension still needs to be .html rather than the default .txt.

Anyway, that should do the trick for you. Just did a little experiment here at work that you can do to see how it works. Copy the following and paste it into a Notepad or Wordpad document and save it (it'll save as a text file), then changed the .txt extension to .html and open it in your favorite browser to see what it looks like:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<b>Here is my bold text</b>
<p>Here is a new paragraph</p>
<i>Here is my italicized text</i><br>with a soft break after it<br>and another soft break
<blockquote>And here, my friends, is a block quote that indents on both sides though it may not look like it is indented on the right because it may not be long enough to span the browser window to wrap around. But we'll see.</blockquote>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about forgetting that little detail about the file extension. That should do the trick for anyone who wants to try it.

JP

[This message has been edited by JP Carney (edited February 20, 2003).]

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks JP! i'll try that...

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

So will I. I thought I was just having another bout of compu-stupidity.
JP Carney
Member # 894

Nope, the stupidity was all mine! Let me know how it goes, and if you have any other questions/issues!

JP

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.