Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dreaming?

Author Topic: Dreaming?
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
(My second topic, and like the first it is a -ing)

I am having trouble with dreams. As we all know dreams have this fantasicness about them, but how can I get that across?

Thanks.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to use italics to let people know what's the dream and what's the reality. That (or a different font type) will change the story enough that people realize something is up, even if they're not sure it's a dream. Here's an example of one story I wrote (longish) that uses several dreams in it (the first one is about a quarter of the way in it, and yes, it is a tad confusing as it was a sequel, and also based on someone else's characters).

http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?t=40910

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Wby are you including dreams as part of your narrative? Most people don't remember most of their dreams, and may not remember anything they dreamed within a few minutes of waking up. While dreams probably affect the subconscious (at least as much as it affects them), most characters are only dimly aware of their subconscious anyway.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people do remember their dreams. And, indeed, some characters' dreams are very important to their story. If we hadn't seen Fitz's dreams in Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy, a lot of things he did wouldn't have made sense.

I've not written many dreams before, but one of my favourite techniques involves making everything a bit bizarre (how many times have you had a conversation with a ten foot fish in your dreams? Oh, that's just me?), and changing to the present tense (one of the main characteristics of dreaming, after all, is the fact that you can't focus on what's happened or what will happen, just the now).

Hope that helps.

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Just to clear up things, I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with including dreams...as long as the character would remember them and they are important to the story somehow.

If we had a better idea of why you wanted to include the character's dreams, then we would be able to give you relevant advice.

Phanto
Member # 1619

Well, I decided to ask for dreaming as what I am trying to write is like a dream.
What happens is a wizards imprisons this person in their own mind -- like a dream -- and I am having difficulty writing it well.

Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's safe to assume he has a valid reason for asking about dreams, don't worry. *smiles*

I would probably denote dreams with some sort of distinctive way this particular style of dream begins with. Maybe a reoccuring feeling of fuzzy whiteness or something, a flash of color, vertigo. Soemthing that happens, then afterwards when the character 'wakes' the reader can mentaly look back and go 'Oh, it was all a dream. That was kinda cool.'

Plus, if you have this style of starting dreams reoccuring, then the reader can immediately catch on to the fact that someone is have another crazy acid trip, I mean dream, and they won't be confused.

Again, I would stress this to be used in moderation, it depends on how present the dreams would be in the story.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, second point. Does the character know it is a dream?
Phanto
Member # 1619

The character does realize she is locked in her mind, yes.
Survivor
Member # 213

In that case, there is no reason to present the narrative in a "dreamlike" manner at all. Certainly the sorts of things that only happen in dreams will happen, and possibly the POV character will suffer a lot of the same kinds of mental/perceptual difficulties, but since she is aware that it is all a dream, you don't need to invoke the reader's conciousness of something of which the main character is not aware.

Since the character is aware that this is a dream, and an unusual dream, just have her be aware from time to time that it is a dream--for instace, if she is in "danger" she could try to decide whether it was real danger or not, then decide "better safe than sorry" and do something to get away. The character will also be aware (usually) of the fantastic and even symbolic aspects of the dream. So there is no need for any special techniques to make the reader aware of the "fantastic" elements of the narrative while hiding them from the POV character.

If you want to emphasize that she is trapped in a dream, go ahead and have her aware of mental/perceptual limitations like not being able to discern distance and suddenly being unable to move and so forth (my favorite is when you're on train tracks and the train is coming but you can't tell how close it is and you can't get to your feet). She can forget that it's a dream from time to time too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.