Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Seeking nuts-and-bolts advice

Author Topic: Seeking nuts-and-bolts advice
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I am working to refine a story, and I need some advice:

The feedback I have received so far is that there is too much backstory provided in conversations between characters, which doesn't ring true because the characters would probably already know the info; therefore, it reads as though it was simply inserted for the reader's benefit. While I disagree, in that it is established that one of the characters in the conversation does not have this information, I'd rather focus on the issue of construct.

If you have a story that is restricted to a certain number of words, and you need to provide backstory in some way that flows realistically through the narrative but still provides vital information to the reader, how do you do it? If the characters don't talk about it, what other way is there to fit it in, keeping in mind you don't have a lot of room for prologue or excessive exposition?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 1262

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
In my group we call this an 'info dump'.

Yeah, it is hard to pull off. Lots of information has to get to the reader, but many if not all of your characters know it. And if they don't, maybe they should. Maybe the problem folks have had is that it is hard to believe that this character doesn't have that information. Or maybe not.

I actually have a story that I have to just put down as good practice because the character could NOT have been expected to know certain things, and the info dump comes at the end. Oh well.

Other ways to get the information: someone thinking about it. Not in huge blocks, but in small snippits, here and there as they act out something, or even while they are talking.

The thing you need to keep in mind, especially in a futuristic story, is that these things may be totally normal to your characters. How often do you contemplate how the telephone or heck, even the computer, works? Always, always try to imagine how a character would react and speak in a certain situation that, while it is fantastic for you, it is mostly normal for them.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
WileyKat
Member # 652

- posted      Profile for WileyKat   Email WileyKat         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Backstory is something we all fall in love with from time to time. This perfectly crafted world, which we're just aching to tell our readers (or anyone we can stop in the street) about.

And about there, you have to stop and look up. Because telling your readers about a world is a sure way not to have any. It all comes down to story.

Tell the story. Include only the bits of backstory that are needed to tell your story. And only include the bits of the backstory as and when you need them.

Info-dumps are dull. Info-dumps are a switch off for readers. So, slide in the pieces of information that you _NEED_ them to have, when you can, and when it seems right. If there's no need for them to have it, leave it for the moment.

Have a look at the final version of the opening to Enders Shadow (it's in the writing class on the main site - lesson 4). The backstory - about Rotterdam - is included very carefully, through Poke's eyes.

WileyKat

Posts: 18 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Prologs are often the same as an info dump. We dump that stuff in there and it is not really needed. Avoid--you know and then info dump. If the other character already knows then he/she does not need to be told about it.

If the information is vital--(say character one has an ex spouse) then you can fit that in like this---(also other things can be handled the same way.

Jay strutted around the room sharing the news that he would soon be married. Tom shook his head. Marriage was a crock--he should know, he had the ex wives to prove it.

When an even happens if it is a "trigger" for thoughts on the POV character's part then by all means slip a line in. But it can seem contrived if two characters talk about the past and the story stops so the reader gets this info.

If it doesn't move the story ahead--then no need to blurt it. One-line character back thoughts work well.

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I concur.

Use your POV character to show the reader why the present events of the story matter to the characters. In doing so, you will explore the POV character's expectations and previous experiences. Do go and read Uncle Orson's Writing Class: lesson #4 as WileyKat suggested, it is a good example.

Don't use a prologue as a place to dump backstory. A prologue has to stand on its own as a distinct and interesting literary work almost in its own right, and it has to frame the story. Using the prologue as a place to dump data is a good way to turn off readers, who will either read the prologue and decide that you're a boring writer or will not read the prologue and think you're being deliberately obscure when they can't understand the story.

If you must include additional material, put it in an appendix, and make sure that it isn't necessary for a reader to read the appendix in order to understand your story.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually in a recent post I was commenting on the introduction of a story and one person commented on how the first story segment (several paragraphs) were "free" in essence. Giving the needed information for the reader to understand what's going on. This is true, however it can also be done depending on who and what your main character is.

As an example in a different media, in the Slayers anime series "Info Dumps" were often used to talk about things that were "known" except by one character who was an idiot and could barely remember his own name. The combination of idiot/innocent and talkative-know-it-all can be used for info dumps. Another method is for flashbacks and thought processes to touch upon segments of backstory that might not necessarily be known.

David Eddings used information dumps to a great extent by the mere fact that in his Belgarion quintology, the main character (who starts out a young boy of around 14) honestly has no knowledge of the outside world, having been raised on a farm all his life. Using an innocent in this regard allows the writer to tell backstory, often in the form of stories and histories, to help bring the reader up to date, and doing it realistically so that it's more than just "information dump" but also helping expand the innocent and helping him or her grow as a character.

And in the Princess Bride novel (not the movie but the original) they had blatent information dumps where the writer made fun of the info dump by summing up everything and explaining it away as "ten pages of discussion on the sociopolitical situation of the kingdom" or somesuch. It's an amusing read, and not all that much like the movie - though the movie has a special place in my heart if only because I like Peter Falk and he made a great grandfather.

Basically you can use introductory segments to lay the groundwork and then judicious use of info dumps used either as dialog to inept/unknowning characters to bring them up to date or using character thought-processes to muse on bits of history - like a veteran musing over a GermanConcentration Camp Museum and thinking of back when his platoon freed it from the Nazis.

Robert A. Howard

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I tend to think that "the first is free" is crap.

I take it to mean that the first is free refers to POV---

If you don't draw the reader then they will not go on.

Editors and agents have said: If the first few paragraphs don't draw me in then I don't read on.

Nothing in writing is free.

Shawn

Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
That could very well be. Heh. Maybe we can get Mr. Card to post and tell us just what he meant by that comment. However, what I said still holds true. You can start out a story as the omnipotent narrator who knows all and gives an overview of what has come before, and then when the main story starts draw back to a more personal level. A well-written information dump can help set the mood for the story.

As an example, take the beginning credits of the movie Star Wars. It helped set the scene of the movie. In fact, if you did not read the opening credits you would be left wondering just who these soldiers in white are, who their big black-garbed boss is, and why they are chasing down princesses in small starships.

Likewise, the beginning of my scifi story has four paragraphs that sum up the past hundred years of history on that world, help setting the stage and a little background material so that there need be fewer information dumps later in the book.

Maybe this is more akin to an "Introduction" instead of a "Prologue" (such as what Anne McCaffrey did with her Dragonriders of Pern series). And the information can be presented in different forms as well. But this introductory material is best suited at the start of a story, more often than not.

Robert A. Howard

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I have the same problem. My protagonist is all but thrown head-first out of a world of technology and logic and reason and into a world where damsels get kidnapped by horrible monsters and are rescued by knights in shining armor. Faeries are friendly and goblins are green, and the good guys always win.

Well, sort of.

Anyway, he's led by three others who've been there before, and as I write the story, I find myself spewing out large chuncks of information about the different types of magic and different laws of physics, and history, and culture, and laws...and so on and so forth, etc. As I write, however, I also find myself looking back and realizing that the past three or four pages are nothing but Character A telling Character B how and why this and that works, and I make a note to trim it down a little on my second draft (2nd draft-1st - 10%, after all), but the info is important, so I don't know if I should. Oh, how I'm torn.

Anyway, despite the babble spewed forth just seconds ago, I actually have a question that seemed to kind of fit in this post. OSC says prologues are something to be feared and despised (basically) but I find myself writing them often. In my current novel, the prologue is the longest chapter by far, recounting the experiences of two men, 15 years apart. In truth, I added the prologue (though I could have almost as easily erase the whole thing) because the novel feels kind of empty without it. Should I scrap it anyway?

Oh, and what of epilogues?

Chris.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

OSC is not the first writer or editor to say the first paragraph is free. I always took that to mean POV. I may be wrong in what was meant.

I do agree on prologs as being unneeded. Most times the info is the author "setting" up the story. Also the same with all those paragraphs explaining why, what, who, where, how---this info can be given as the story goes on.

Star Wars. No we would not have known who they characters were--but as the story went on we would have found out.

If you can work the info into the story in such a way that the reader doesn't know he/she is being given info the story is almost always going to be much better. I will even go so far as to say, it will always be a better read.

I know I often skip the prolog in a book---the info is almost always repeated in the story itself, and I would rather gain the info from the characters themselves than the author speaking to me.

And info dumps---long passages where characters talk about the nuts and bolts of things---as soon as I see the as you know line—ugh, I often skip long sections or skip reading the rest of the book. (unless I want to read how not to write).

I, too, once felt as if I had to "set up" the story or the reader wouldn't know what was going on. Once I got past that, my writing improved greatly.

IMHO

Shawn

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The reader doesn't need to know what's going on! But the reader does need to care about what's going on. If you've established a POV character that's got the reader's sympathy, then you don't need much info dump.

Of course it's easiest to get sympathy with a character that knows what the reader knows. That's why characters like Alice in Wonderland, Gulliver, Buck Rogers, and The Savage (Brave New World) work so well. These POV characters don't know what's going on, actually increasing reader sympathy for them.

If you have a very complex backstory, it's better to concentrate on making the reader care about one or more characters before you try to fill in all those details. I bet that once you've got your reader hooked the backstory will work out all by itself.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Simon Kelly
Member # 1625

- posted      Profile for Simon Kelly   Email Simon Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the one thing in short story writing that I always come unstuck on. But a friend of mine pointed me in the right direction on this with these questions, "When you meet someone for the first time, how much do you know about them?” The answer is simple, nothing. "How much do you know about that person after a five minute conversation?” again, not too much. Maybe a name, and a few things about what they are doing now, but you will not know there whole life story.

This is also true in short stories, we know nothing about any of the characters when we start to read. The writer’s task is to introduce the person to us, not all at once but in small interesting segments. The same with the description of place/time/mood etc.

For the writer benefit (if the back story is very large in your mind) it may be good to write a list of the main points of the back story, and then see where and when these can be interjected into the story, and write the story as if you have written this in a prologue. This way you can expand the important ones, and ignore those that would have been superfluous to the story had you just put them in during the initial draft. It's mind-numbingly hard to remove bits after, rather than leaving them out from the start, as you will already have each part of the back-story as a necessity in your own mind.

As for epilogues…
Well. They seem to be really good in some stories and ruin the ending of a book in others. But they can be used cleverly to accomplish certain tasks.
To finish a thread left part way through the story, many start with something around the lines of “And what of the ….”.
To lead into the next instalment with the start of a few little threads. This can be seen in Terry Prachett’s book ‘Eric’, where he uses the epilogue to hint that the hero has not really died and all may be well and good in the next 15 books. (I jest; the next 15 books were very good )

The best bet is to write an epilogue and see if it fits in with the story without detracting from it. If it does, then keep it, if not highlight and delete (Or for the likes of me, get the old eraser out and make a mess of the page )

Kind regards

Simon

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks all for the great advice and suggestions, particularly those who pointed out OSC's lesson on the subject. It was very, very helpful to see an example in action!

As for the short story that prompted my question, there is no prologue. What I had done was have the adult characters review relevant chunks of information with the POV character, a pre-teen who wouldn't know everything the adults know about his world and why it is the way it is.

However, thanks to all your good advice, I've been combing back through it and removing excessive info that the reader doesn't need to know to "get" the story (even if I, the writer, thought it was cool). I think that will improve the pacing without removing details that give the plot context. I'm also going to try to toss in relevant thoughts/one liners (thanks, Shawn!) instead of including everything in conversations between characters.

Thanks, again!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.