Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » retreat acceptance.

Author Topic: retreat acceptance.
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
The other day in the mail, I received a brochure for a retreat and writers conference. I am sooooooo jazzed about this. I was able to talk my husband into letting me go, and I checked with the airlines to make sure that I have enough miles, so I don't have to pay for airfare in addition to hotels and the retreat/conference...

Now onto the next part.

For entrance, it says that I need to have a character sketch for the protagonist and the antagonist. I have never pulled my characters out of a hat like this, and said this is the protagonist and that is the antagonist before writing a story. But of course, the retreat is for the writing and rewriting of the story... soooooooo

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kinds of things they are looking for with these character sketches? -- and how true do I need to stay to them, once the story is written?

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently applied and was accepted to the Maui Writer's retreat. I had to come up with a story idea and an expanded idea. I sent an e-mail and asked them to give me some guide lines and they were very helpful.
They realize that what you come up with now may change by the time you get to the retreat...I think they are looking to see if you can formulate your thoughts onto paper...just sit and write a few bios and see what sort of people you come up with and try and match some of them up.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.