Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Children's fiction writing

Author Topic: Children's fiction writing
Chelle
Member # 1638

- posted      Profile for Chelle   Email Chelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have browsed through the topics and wasn't able to find anything pertaining to my question, so thought I'd start a new topic in hopes of someone having advice. Recently, I have completed a childrens picture book, and am still researching the market thoroughly before I submit my work. I have plenty of info on publishers, queries, and the business end of it all. But, my concern is that when I submit a manuscript of just words on a page, for a book that is intended to be half supported with beautiful artwork, how well can it truly be received? I am wondering do publishers automatically look at these books and envision it with an artists work attatched or is it our responsibilty to obtain some idea of the pictures we would like to see in our book? As you can obviously see, I have yet to be published and this is my first attempt at submitting my work. If anyone has any info on this subject please let me know! Thanks!
Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely remember an article I once read that said that the editor of children's books will choose an artist for you, so you don't need to worry about it.

To make sure I was remembering this right, I quickly found Jane Yolen's website and found this:

quote:
How do I find an illustrator?
Don't. That's the editor's job. Just write the best manuscript you can. Then revise it and make it better. When you send it in (without little side comments to an illustrator, please) the editor will already know dozens of fine artists and will pick out the best.

Jane Yolen has written many, many fine stories, including a absolutely wonderful children’s book, How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?, which is required reading for everyone. So although you probably should not trust my memory, you can trust Jane.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chelle
Member # 1638

- posted      Profile for Chelle   Email Chelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou very much Andrew! That was quite helpful! Guess I just have to trust that some editor somewhere will see my vision as he/she reads the MS! Michelle
Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the same basic thing that Andrew did. I seem to recall reading that an editor doesn't want illustrations, unless you're part of a team.
Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what just may be a stupid question: What if you want to illustrate the book yourself?
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie
Member # 1650

- posted      Profile for Charlie   Email Charlie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question - what if you don't want to do your own artwork, BUT your character(s) are not something that the artist (or the editor, for that matter) would get without pictures, for example, your main character is a lintball? Now, this lintball may look very nice in your head, but the editor will prolly be like, "What the heck..." if (s)he doesn't see it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.