Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Review what you read/watch?

Author Topic: Review what you read/watch?
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Hi all -

If you have ever read a sci-fi novel, or watched a sci-fi film, then I would feel very privileged if you would consider sending in a personal appraisal of what you read/watched for my big new project on the internet.

I'm looking for book and film reviews - personal appraisals, if you will. I will be adding my own content. Multiple appraisals of the same work is expected and all will go up.

Here's the site I'm building:

http://alternative-worlds.com

Basically, through a combination of aggressive search engine optimisation and targeted marketing, I'm looking to win over a significant share of the internet market on the following interest areas: science-fiction, fantasy literature, period music, mediaeval and ancient history, comparative religion - and also my own chronicles of empire. This is going to be served through multiple domains (all being built this month).

All under the banner of:

http://www.chronicles-network.net

which will be publicly launched in the first week of June. My forum, which everything is funnelled into, is still undergoing re-structuring, but quite functional:

http://www.chronicles-network.net/forum/

I really do value all opinions and would very much like to represent them on the site. If you have your own website then this would be an excellent way to get it linked to.

There is no need to write a literary masterpiece of criticism. I would like personal appraisals, nothing more.

alternative-worlds is going to be a very special site. It's also going to be big.

Comments, queries and content to:

brian@chroniclesofempire.com

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Anyone up for this, or should I just shut up about the whole issue?

If I'm truly honest I'm pretty sickened. The moment I'm mainstreamed published people will be happy to try and ride my coat-tails. The fact no one will until then tells me that folks not only have no faith in myself, but that they also don't believe in marketing themselves.

In which case, as people who have no faith in others, I ask as aspirants, why should anyone have faith in you?

I say this only because I figure I've been here long enough to drop diplomacy and talk straight.

(sigh)

If I wasn't an aspirant I probably wouldn't bother either. And as an aspirant I too would be selective. But as I believe in self-marketing over the internet, I'm also preparing a series of articles for larger SF/F sites, to link back to my own.

Truly I will make a success of my own internet marketing. I already have in a way, but I'm pushing the envelope far harder now. I am creating information hubs on the internet. You're welcome to get involved, or not, as the case may be.

I just think anyone here who doesn't want to contribute to *any* site on the internet to market themselves is letting themselves down. And anyone who wants to submit only to larger siets - and thus be completely drowned out by the masses, is lacking imagination.

After all, many folks here leave publishing quality appriaisals and commentaries to rot inside messageboards. There for a week, then forgotten. You can use that material far more constructively for your own benefit.

Point said, pouting done, bruised ego nursed.

Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
In all honesty, I woudl love to contribute. I have two problems though, both of which stem from my age. I currently have a balancing act going on in my life and to add one more thing to the pile would more than likely have everything topple over.

I wouldn't want you to think that no one is interested, I am. The problem is that even if I tried to make time for a project like this I wouldn't be able to balance all the other tasks I need to compllete on a daily basis.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My only hesitation is that I'm not sure if you are interested only in new books and films, or if you are looking for reviews of older works as well. I rarely get to see new films because my budget will not support trips to the movies. The same is the case for new books - unless my library gets something new, I have to wait until the paperback comes out, and even then I can't buy many books. But, hey, if you are looking for reviews of things that have been out for awhile (which I think are valuable anyway, because they let people who have missed things know what is out there). I'm always looking to turn people on to books and movies I enjoyed.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you an email about submitting but never got a response........
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Marianne, I could have sworn I send you a reply from my brian@chroniclesofempire.com addy - perhaps it was lost in a junk filter because it was an unfamiliar address??

Either way, new e-mail sent.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a word count in mind, CofE?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Not at all - I'm using the by-word "personal appraisal" rather than "erview" for the site (though for search engine optimistation I use "review" in the nav links).

In other words, the "review" section would be more like a database of people's personal appraisals of what they have either read or watched. In other words, trying to move beyond the idea of creating a completely objective critical assessment.

We all like different things. I want to show that diversity on the site with multiple appraisals of the same works.

I uploaded the directory structure to the site yesterday. Today I'm contacting publishers to inquire about using promo interviews and newsfeeds to add to the site.

No content yet - still tweaking the style. I'll upload my own content files next week.

Thanks for asking, though.

Nocturne
Member # 1621

- posted      Profile for Nocturne   Email Nocturne         Edit/Delete Post 
Would be tempted to do a review of something for you.
But being a slow writer, I have my hands full with the fiction I'm still trying to finish.
If, however, I get inspired, I'll add to your content if I can.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Jinn
Member # 1604

- posted      Profile for Jane Jinn   Email Jane Jinn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in contributing a few things, but I have a similar problem to that of littlemissattitude. I'm not always on top of the newest things. If you'd be interested in some reviews of older books, for instance, I could start off with a review of Anne McCaffrey's Masterharper, based on a review that I wrote for amazon.com a few years ago.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.