Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Idea Generation

Author Topic: Idea Generation
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious to know what different ways people have of coming up with ideas for stories. Also, what aspect of the story do you start with? (character, moral, theme, new invention, plotline...)

I often use dreams as a starting point, but this has mixed results. Dreams sometimes put you in interesting scenarios but fitting some of the elements I listed above around a dream segment can be difficult.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I typically am struck by situations or scenarios that I think are interesting. Then I build a story about them, and then create characters that would be most affected by the events.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually start with world creation. I know it sounds weird, but during the process of world creation I can come up with a basic idea that I can expand on. I currently have 3 worlds under development and have some basic story ideas for all 3, and none of them repeat.
Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
nellievrolyk
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for nellievrolyk   Email nellievrolyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I start with things I dream also as a jumping off point for stories. The SF novel I'm working on began as a series of dreams. I'm using the place/world of the dream as a milleu.

But my story ideas begin with characters and until I get those right in my mind, the story just will not work, no matter how great the setting.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big conversation guy. 90% of my stories and ideas start with some kind of dialogue. I find it suits me best.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I get ideas from all over the place, but what I need before I can actually write is a milieu (haunted woods, alien world, work-place), the main charcters, and an ending. Not 'the' ending, but 'an' ending. In other words, I need a target. Once I have those three, I'm able to start working. As I'm working, I'm watching what my characters do and say looking for two kinds of conflicts -- man vs. man and man vs. himself. Man vs. nature is the most superficial of conflicts (and most boring, just read RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA by Arthur C. Clark) and is usually implicit in the milieu or setting.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 26, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're writing sci-fi, read the science press - New SCientist or/and Scientific American, for example. They are generally easy reading for the general public and cover a wealth of topics. Do note not to take too much of the specualtive articles too seriously, though.

If you're writing fantasy, then read up on mediaeval history.

For sf/f - look at sf/f art and imagine yourself around them. Explore the landscapes with your mind and see what you start thinking of. Place yourself there, and people you know.

Also listen to other people about thyeir life experiences - anecdotes are a great resource for any writer. Read autobiographies not just for the anecdotes, but also to see how real people deal with real adversity, and overcome it.

EDIT: These are different ways that I am immediately inspired.

Also - for fantasy writing, go to some historical ruins/events/shows. Even though you don;t have mediaeval castles in the USA, I hear you have a good tradition of Renaissance Fayres over there - go and be inspired by walking the world.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited May 26, 2003).]

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

There's a company in Cleveland called The Idea Factory. The send me a box of ideas every month and I use the ones I want.

Modified somewhat from the original by Stephen King.

Liz
Member # 1594

- posted      Profile for Liz   Email Liz         Edit/Delete Post 
My writing teacher had us find stories in our own past. It was really neat. First, we wrote about a memory. Then, we took the memory, written in first person, and wrote the same story from a third person pov. For the rest of the class, we would use this basic character. The character evolves into all sorts of different characters as time goes on.

I find this style worked well for me.

I also really like Kathleen's astrology idea. That sounds fun.

Hmm. One could also find a copy of the DSM IV, which lists all the psychological disorders, etc. What would a person with obsessive compulsive disorder do in this situation? Someone with multiple personalities? There are actually many fantasy novels where the protagonist is going insane, or thinks he/she is.

Or, you could look at the characters you have, and try to do a psychological analysis of them. Have a dialogue between your evil genius and his or her therapist.

"Well, Sauron, what I hear you saying is..."

"How did that make you feel, Gollum, when Bilbo stole your ring? Why don't you tell HIM how you feel?"

Sorry to get silly, but I am now thinking I need to take a look in that book.

Liz

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually use the DSM-IV from time to time, but saying that I feel the need to insert a warning. The DSM was meant as a diagnosis tool for therepists and does not give you the best idea of what any disorder is actually like. I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology, which still ddoesn't mean much. I get some basic ideas from the DSM-IV but after deciding to represent a disorder I do more research to find out what a person with that problem is actually like.

Here's a terrific example. I've got a bulimic chcaracter in a novel I'm working on. The DSM-IV tells you rote things like she eats great quantities of food then purges it through exercise, laxatives, vomitting, etc. What it does not tell you is that this disorder is not so much about food as about control issues. So I asked myself, why does this girl feel so out of control? Why is food the only thing in her life she can control? That's when I got some good ideas.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz
Member # 1594

- posted      Profile for Liz   Email Liz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Christine.

Read the DSM-IV with care!(and with a good deal of bravery, because it isn't all that exciting a read!)

Liz

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
I got myself something similar to the DSM as research for characters - but I find I never use it. Ultimately, I always have a very clear idea of what my characters are. A lot of it is pretty common sense anyway. I guess writing requires a certain understanding of people - at least, imagined, if nothing else.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I pull a scene out of the air--for lack of any better thing. PING The idea is just there in the form of a scene or maybe of a character.

Sometimes it goes somewhere--sometimes it doesn't.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
Although sometimes I use dreams... it is more that I use stuff that I'm thinking of when trying to go to sleep and letting my mind wander or when I'm suppose to be doing something else, and let my mind wander.

However, the other thing that I end up doing, is watching things like the science channel, court TV, or of those other specialized channels, and get ideas there. -- I have also noticed that when watching them too much, or watching them close to when I write, that elements of the types of shows I was just watching creep in. Once I had been watching a few hours of court tv, where they were talking about serial killers, and as I was writing a fantasy story, low and behold a serial killer showed up.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Balthasar, I'm offended! Rendezvous with Rama is a masterpiece! Other than a few annoying technical errors (for instance, we now know that Pluto has a moon and Uranus has a ring) the book is a brilliant achievement that still holds up well.

Also, parts of the book were man-vs-man and man-vs-machine (remember when the Mercury colony launched a nuke?), and other parts of it looked like they might become man-vs-alien.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Sorry, Doc, but I disagree -- RWR is pure crapolla. I had to put it down after 175 pages (and it's only a 240-page book!); I couldn't take anymore. I am still trying to figure out how it won both the Hugo and Nebula awards. I guess 1974 was a weak year for SF. Maybe RWR was the only SF book published that year so it won by default. I don't know, but I know it's one of the worst books I've read.

It's also the only Clark I have read, but I'm a three strikes and you're out kinda guy. I have THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE in a box somewhere, and I've heard CHILDHOOD'S END is pretty good. After those two and he'll official be on my list of authors that I will only read for money.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 27, 2003).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've read all three, and several more of Clarke's stories (novel and short).

He's much better at ideas than he is at characters, and if you prefer characters to ideas, you probably won't like him.

I really recommend, though, that instead of saying this book or that is "crapolla" you be a little more specific about what you didn't like/understand/believe/care about.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Along with Stanley Kubrick, Clarke also wrote the best, perhaps only, science fiction movie ever made.

If Clarke's human characters are a bit thin, consider that it might be intentional. Clarke makes characters out of non-human things. In Rendezvous with Rama, the only important character was Rama. Bold, memorable human characters would have detracted from Rama's spotlight. Clarke also wrote Dolphin Island a classic in which the most memorable characters are dolphins. Not many writers can pull that off!

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited May 27, 2003).]

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Yes, Kathleen, you're right: my crapolla comment isn't too helpful. Sorry about that (not that I said the novel is crapolla--I still think it is--but that I didn't elaborate). Here are my problems with the novel.

Fiction is about people. Period. It's not about ideas, or science, or magic, or religion, or theme, or anything else. It's about people. There are no people in RWR, just a bunch of super-flat characters wandering around an alien spacecraft. I realize that RWR is hard SF and therefore--given the nature of the beast--it isn't going to have a bunch of Hamlets and Macbeths running around. But I think my biggest issue with the novel is there is no central character I can follow (instead of all the bouncing around he does). What I would have liked is a more developed Norton who reacts to Rama, who is affected by Rama. Again, I'm not expecting something on the level of Sam's reaction to Mordor, but I want a rounded character--I want a human being is literally going through a life-changing experience, and I want to read about that.

There's no central antagonist, no one I look at and say, "Gotta watch out for that jerk." I didn't get to the missile part, but off the top of my head, it would have been a much better novel if the antagonist was the dude who set the missile off and that from the beginning of the novel his mind is bent on the destruction of Rama. This is what we talked about on the suspense thread that Doc Brown started. If you tell your readers who is doing what, you got them--they're going to stay hooked because they want to see who's going to win and who's going to loose.

Because there is no protagonist to root for and no antagonist to root against, there is no conflict in RWR. The only conflict is between the expedition party and Rama (man vs. nature) and that's it. Sure, perhaps man vs man is implicit with the launch of the missile--but that's weak. Why? Because there is no one I really care about on Rama that I want to see survive.

I think Doc Brown is right--Clark wanted to write about Rama, and that's what he did. Rama is the most important part of that story. Since I like characters, and since RWR doesn't have any characters worth caring about, I suppose I'll never like that book.

BUT like I said, I'm a three strikes and you're out kinda guy, so I'll give him two more chances. Probably THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE and CHILDHOOD'S END. At then I can say I read Clark's biggies.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 28, 2003).]

teddyrux
Member # 1595

quote:
Fiction is about people.

I have to disagree with that statement, Balthasar. Fiction should be about people, but it doesn't have to be. "Lord of the Rings" is about Middle Earth not about individual people in it. I'm sure you can come up with other examples on your own.

I do agree with everything else you said. I hate flat characters. I want to care something about the characters. If it looks like they might die during the book, I want to be worried about it. They don't have to Pulitzer prize winning characters, just don't put in cardboard cutouts and put names on them.

[This message has been edited by teddyrux (edited May 28, 2003).]

srhowen
Member # 462

I don't think ficiotn has to be about characters--not totaly. I think that's a personal preference.

As to flat characters---all of them sounding the same---I hate critiques that try to tell you that all your character's should sound the same.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hate critiques that try to tell you that all your character's should sound the same.

I'm baffled, Shawn. When/why would a critique advocate flat characters?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

I disagree with your assessment of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. I do see why people think LOTR is about Middle Earth, and it's because all of the characters are characters from Middle Earth--they themselves are Middle Earth. And yes, Middle Earth is a very, very important part of that story, but what makes that story so good, what keeps the reader reading, is the people the story's about: Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Aragorn, etc. I'm not so much concerned about whether Middle Earth will fall under the domination of Sauron, but I am really concerned about Frodo and Sam--will they destroy the Ring or will the Ring destroy them; I'm concerned about Pippin when he touches the Seeing Stone; I'm concerned about Merry when he stabs the Ringwraith; I'm concerned Gandalf when he doesn't show up in the Shire; etc. Yes I think Tolkien has created a wonderful, beautiful place called Middle Earth--a place where I'd love to live (especially the Shire!)--but if Tolkien had created a bunch of flat characters--a bunch of aloof explorers wandering around collecting samples--it wouldn't be as popular and loved as it is today.

Thus, I submit that any story that succeeds in which the time and place--the atmosphere, if you will--is essential to that story succeeds because the characters are rounded characters and organic to the time and place. Think of A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, or HUCKLEBERRY FINN, or HYPERION. Each has memorable characters that are organic to the setting and are affected by the setting. And consequently, the setting becomes more alive than when you have a great setting with super-flat characters.

So I repeat, good fiction is about people. Period. And as I mentioned above, it's wrong to ask too much of your genera; it's wrong to expect to see Hamlet in hard SF.

And I concede, I'm a reader who likes deep, compelling characters more often than not. People who read hard SF read it, I suppose, because they love science and they want to read a story where science is just as important as the characters. Fine. But when the science takes over the story--when the science becomes so important that the only way you can tell the story is by populating it with flat characters--I don't think you have a good story. Rubbish is more like it.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 28, 2003).]

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

I'm more and more confused by your point, Balthasar. While I suppose it's possible to have flat characters in hard sci-fi, your rant seems to say that it's impossible to have round characters in hard sci-fi.

Have I misunderstood you?

I believe that the roundness (and depth) of characters is a function of the writer's craft. It is independent of genre or sub genre. You can have flat characters in a romance novel, mystery, or fantasy just as easily as hard sci-fi.

In Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and 2001: a Space Odyssey, I conceed that the crews of the Endeavor and Discovery are pretty flat. But Rama and HAL 9000 are both so round, so intriguing, so unforgettable that I don't care. In these stories the humans are barely more than scenery. So what? The humans are also scenery in Disney's Toy Story.

srhowen
Member # 462

Lately, I have gotten some crits that advocate making all your characters "sound" the same. I haveone character that has a pattern to their speech and I have been told---hey why don't you---the result would be to make the characters sound the same.

Shawn

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Good grief, Shawn. On the surface this sounds like awful advice. Who wants to read a story in which all the characters sound the same?

Perhaps there was some reason for this strange suggestion. Maybe they were suggesting having all the Martians speak with the same accent, all the Elves speak with the same sentence structure, or all the ghosts speak with the same spooky tone?

srhowen
Member # 462

Bad writers, == bad critters. Not the group from here but a different one---

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet there is a truth that when there's more than one crit saying the same thing, it's often wise to consider it. Maybe the speech pattern of that particular character is annoying to readers. I think Kathleen said that often our critiquing skills outpace our writing skills, so bad writers don't necessarily equal bad critiquers. After all, who can be wrong about their own opinion?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Doc -

quote:
I'm more and more confused by your point, Balthasar. While I suppose it's possible to have flat characters in hard sci-fi, your rant seems to say that it's impossible to have round characters in hard sci-fi.
Have I misunderstood you?

Yes, you've misunderstood me, but I don't think that's your fault. I suppose I've been operating under the assumption that on of the biggest criticisms of hard SF is that it typically has flat characters. If I understand the history of SF correctly, this is why Harlen Ellison did DANGEROUS VISIONS and AGAIN, DANGEROUS VISIONS, thus ushering for the new-wave of SF that made character just as important as the science. And again, if I understand things correctly, this is why contemporary authors such as James Patrick Kelly and Nancy Kress are so unique--their hard SF stories are populated by rounded characters. So I do think that hard SF can (and should) have rounded characters, and that hard SF does itself a disservice by having all flat characters.

Khyber
Member # 1651

- posted      Profile for Khyber   Email Khyber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what makes stories are the conflicts and the resolutions.

You can have the huge plot, a large conflict that needs to be resolved, and then a ton of paper characters that do resolve it, and you may be satisfied with that story...

Or, you could have several characters, each with their own internal conflicts.

Now, this is how I think would be a way to write the story. You have several characters each with internal conflicts, and then the large plot. The story is the resolution of each of thsoe internal conflicts through the resolution of the plot. Perhaps some internal conflicts are resolved by contributing to the plots' predicament, whereas others are taken together to completely resolve it.

The rounder and deeper characters are will serve to make the plot more intriguing.

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.