Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is there enough room?

Author Topic: Is there enough room?
Sachant
Member # 1648

- posted      Profile for Sachant   Email Sachant         Edit/Delete Post 
There is something that has always plagued me. When I get involved in things that I am excited about, I begin to become overly critical and deny myself the credit I deserve. Example, I create graphic art in the digital medium for web design. I could be a lot better had I been able to devote more time to it, however, there are a lot of others already sooooo good. Thus, I deny myself the time it takes to become sooooo good because someone is already doing it.

Thankfully, over the years of being with my husband and through the support of many friends and colleagues in the gaming industry, I have managed to overcome a lot of that stigma when it comes to writing.

Coming here is a big step for me since it means I will be among those that are incredibly talented. My competiveness comes out and at the same time, often will shut down both. ie. Someone writes a great story, I start writing one and realize... ugh.. it stinks compared to theirs.

Now, I'm not really here to talk about my little insecurity, competitiveness and unrealized perfectionism but to spark up a bit of conversation.

How does everyone else feel about their level of competitiveness, and how does everyone feel about whether there is enough room in the literary realm to accomodate everyone? I don't mean everyone can become a great novelist, but at the same time, can everyone find their comfort zone either for pleasure or for profit? Again, being competitive and with a drive to tell a story, I want everyone to read and respond to what I say. Selfish, I know. But, it's the sin of showmanship and being the youngest of the family.

Ok.. discuss

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...how does everyone feel about whether there is enough room in the literary realm to accommodate everyone?

There isn't enough room to accommodate everyone, but there is room to accommodate the best. I'm convinced that every good writer will get published and make a fine living by writing. But it takes years of hard word to become a good writer, and that's where most people fail.

I believe what Stephen King says in his book, ON WRITING. We can divide writers into four categories: (1) bad writers; (2) competent writers; (3) good writers; (4) geniuses. And I agree that no matter what, a bad writer will never becomes a competent writer, and that a good writer will never become a genius. However, every competent writer can, with years of hard work, become a good writer. And like I said, every good writer can make a living by writing.

Of everyone on this board, maybe one will become a really good writer (that's gonna be me ), maybe two or three will become good enough craftsmen to succeed as average commercial writers, and maybe a few more will find intermittent success publishing short stories. And the reason why is because the vast majority of people on this board aren't as talented as they think they are, aren't writing as much as they need to, or will give up from frustration. This isn't a slam against anyone on this board, it's the truth. This same ratio can be applied to any writing internet forum or any creative writing class.

quote:
I don't mean everyone can become a great novelist, but at the same time, can everyone find their comfort zone either for pleasure or for profit?

Yes. Every writer can find their comfort zone for pleasure. If you enjoy writing and are actively writing, you're succeeding. And so long as everyone understands that there is only limited room in the publishing world, then everyone should also find their comfort zone for profit, which is $0.00.

In the final analysis, you write for one reason and one reason alone--because you enjoy it. And you strive to become a better writer for one reason and one reason alone--because the Art demands that you do. So long as you enjoy writing, are writing what you love, and are striving to become better at it, that's all that really matters.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 30, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Deep topic.
quote:
Coming here is a big step for me since it means I will be among those that are incredibly talented.

I agree with Balthasar, most of aren't incredibly talented. We are a good community of people that have gathered together to support each other in our mutual interest, writing.

quote:
Someone writes a great story, I start writing one and realize... ugh.. it stinks compared to theirs.

Don't compare your writing to others, especially not the greats. We are the most critical of our own talents and work. Write and find a good writers group (like us here) and get your work critiqued.

Welcome to the group.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with you, Teddy. I find I have two opposed problems with my own writing, and am often amazed at how those two problems manage to coexist. The first is that I'm incredibly hard on myself about everything, my writing included, and while I hope to get published, I never seem to get rid of the nagging voice in the back of my mind that whatever I'm working on isn't good enough or won't fulfill it's promise. On the other hand, I'm also too close to my own work to see it's flaws, and sometimes find that a story I thought was pretty good gets just about torn to shreds (though politely) by my writer's group, or in fact most people who critique them. Then I get tired and frustrated with it and don't end up getting back to working on it, and rewriting it to fix those flaws. I'm beginning to think that between these two problems, I just can't win.

One suggestion I would give to anyone on the whole critiquing thing, and trying to get a handle on your own level of competence with writing (and this is my own experience) is don't have close friends or family critique your work. I've found that they seem to invariably tell me that it's great. Then I let someone else, someone not close to me critique it and find that it has a whole bunch of flaws that should have been obvious to anyone (except of course me, because I'm too close to it, as I said). I think they just didn't want to hurt my feelings or discourage me. So let strangers do the critiquing. It's more helpful.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

I think what we are talking about here is our growth as a writer. I've written on and off since I was 10, and now at 29 I have the time to work on writing seriously. When I started back up again, I seemed to be a bit paralyzed by the notion of publishing. I focused on word count, manuscript preparation, and how to be original. All good things to a degree. But becasue I was so focused on getting published, I dismissed almost every idea I had because I thought it sucked.

Then I came across this article that said that all beginning writers should take a year to a year-and-a-half and write 50 short stories. Forget length (so long as they are short stories), forget genera, forget if they are merely fictionalized accounts of your childhood. Forget everything and just write. And don't bother too much about rewriting, either--since the bulk of learning how to write comes from writing itself and not rewriting, when you finish you 50 short stories you'll be a much better writer than when you started and thereby be in a much better position to reread your previous work.

I'm working on my fifth story now in two months, and I know I am getting better. I can feel it as I write. I'm beginning to see when the story is working and when it's not. I don't care about genera or length or publication. I'm writing about 1,000 words a day, with no more than 3 days off between stories, and I'm loving every minute of it.

So what I said at the end of my last post I learned first hand--in the final analysis, the only thing that matters is that you enjoy writing, that you write what you love, and that you strive to become a better writer each day.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you find that article?

Seems I've come to the right place. I have managed to find time as of two months ago to devote myself to writing very seriously (I now work part time and have about 20 hours a week to write or do writing tasks such as read books about writing and critique other's work.)

I, too, have been writing as long as I can remember (I think about 10) and am now close enough to 26.

Anyway, I am very hard on myself. I'm currently spending more of my time on a full length novel that has been with me, at least as a spark, since I was about 11. (It's grown since then, of course.) I keep banging my head against walls! Every time chapter 4 begins to shake I decide the whole thing has turned south and start over! Just since January I've stopped and started this novel over again 4 times!

Maybe I'm starting too big. I'd love some advice on the best way to really get going, because at this rate I'm afraid I'll suffer from burn out in about 2 more months.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read an interview with several top agents in NYC--it was done in April of this year. http://www.computercrowsnest.com/sfnews2/03_april/news0403_1.shtml

In one section the income of a first book author was not what I would call a fine living. Most said around 7,000 US $ a year.

Is there room for everyone? No. And that's the trouble. It's hard for the good ones to get through the slush pile of awful.

As to if you will be among the great writers here--I am sure we all want to think so---but as I am fidning out--once you have an agent, and have "offical" rewrites to do, synops to rewrite or write to a certian publisher's specs---you do not have time for groups or BB's like this. There are simply not enough hours in the day.

I've continued to make time becasue one of the things I have always done as an editor is try to help those who have not learned as much along the way or are just starting out.

I'm the one just starting out now--trailing behind my agent hoping I don't look like too much of a fool.

I hope I can continue to come here.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited May 30, 2003).]

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachant
Member # 1648

Nice suggestion Balthasar.

I've recently come off of writing news, interviews, editorial rants and a strategy guide over the past few years. None of which was all that creative.

I definetly need something like this to start flexing my writing muscles again and get them back in shape.

Thanks for the replies all. Good discussion.

[This message has been edited by Sachant (edited May 30, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sachant (edited May 30, 2003).]

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Here are the links: www.writerswrite.com/journal/sept97/keegan.htm and www.writerswrite.com/journal/aug98/keegan11.htm .

The only comment I would make is not to put a restriction on the length of your short stories. Keegan seems to think a short story is about 2,000 words.

According to the SF community, a short story is 7,500 words, a novelette is between 7,500-17,500, and a novella is between 17,500-40,000 words. But this is a bit arbitrary; I don't think any one else would recognize the "novelette" category. You also have short-short stories, usually under 2,000 words.

I've made my own arbitrary decision to say that a short story is up to 70 correctly formatted manuscript pages (i.e., one inch margins, courier font, font-size 12, double spaced), which is 17,500 words. Of course, the longer your short stories are, the more time it will take you before you hit 50.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to say the most unpopular thing. I don't only write for myself. I mean, everyone (I mean, everyone) always says, that at the end of the day, you have to write for yourself and for your love of writing only. But I don't.

Don't get me wrong; I DO love writing. I get a thrill everytime I put something on paper. Hell, looking at an empty piece of paper and a pen can get me excited. The only difference is, though, I'm pretty sure that if I knew for certain that NO ONE else in the entire world would ever read my writing -- I'd probably just stop. The stories are always spinning around in my head like some aristotelian rock-tumbler. Isn't that good enough? I mean, why do I need to write them down for myself?

I write for other people too. I enjoy other people reading my work. Perhaps it is the act of immortalizing myself, in a certain way, by writing my thoughts and ideas that appeals to me. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that is what makes it so enjoyable for me -- the fact that someone will actually read this little portion of my brain. I mean, the sense of completion and fulfillment that I feel when I finish a story is only strong because that means I'm all that much closer to someone else reading it.

So, does that make me narcissistic? Commercial? Shallow?

I don't think so. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with not just writing for yourself, but writing for other people as well as all the possibilities that that implies.

This was probably completely unintelligible. I'm tired; sue me.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I can't not write--- I have to or I would go insane.

But--this fits so well.

Only amateurs say that they write for their own amusement. Writing is not an amusing occupation. It is a combination of ditch-digging, mountain-climbing, treadmill and childbirth... But amusing? Never.

Anonymous

Shawn

Sachant
Member # 1648

I'm the same way. It's not as fun to not have an audience than to have one.

I can also say that writing can be terribly grueling. I've been writing for others for years, but it's what THEY want from me and required of me.

When I do get to write what I like, it's like ambrosia. It's addictive and fullfilling.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Ah, we're moving to the critical and compelling question of why. Why does a person write? What is it that compels a person to put words on paper? On the one hand, some people write because they want to make money, and contrary to popular opinion, these people do make money. On the other hand, you have the serious artist, such as Flannery O'Connor, who writes for art's sake and doesn't give a shit if she makes a dime or that only a two or thee people will read (not even like!) her stuff. In between the hack and the serious artist, there are a multitude of positions.

The interesting thing about art is that it's intrinsic to art for it to be on display for others to experience. Thus, there is something in the artist that understands that completion only takes place when the work is on display for others to experience.

Now writing is a peculiar art form because it's the only art form that demands someone else's approval in order for the work to be shown to the world. If I paint or draw or sculpt, I can put my work on in my living room and whoever comes over to my house will see it, or I can find an amateur studio to display it, or I can donate it to the local YMCA. If I were a guitarist and songwriter, I could make good quality tapes in a very inexpensive home-studio and pass them out to my family and friends and possibly local radio stations that play local music. Of course, none of these suggestions would bring complete fulfillment to the artists, but they would bring some fulfillment.

The writer, however, must always send his work to another for her work to be seen by others. I suppose a writer can make copies of her work and pass it around, but it will always be a typed copy that looks like it came off a printer. This is not the case with the other arts, by the way. Once the painting or sculpture is complete, the artist can look at it; the work doesn't need to change mediums. Once the music is on tape, they musician can listen to it. But once the story is on paper, it still needs a transformation. It still needs to be put in the kind of font and typesetting we're used to seeing when we open a book or magazine. So I would suggest that there is something deep within the writer that compels the writer to send out his or her stuff for publication. And this isn't bad--it's the nature of writing.

However, I think we need to make a distinction between publication-as-display and publication-as-business. So long as we think of publication as the displaying of our work, then it's fine to want to be published. Hell, I want to be published!! But if we think of publication merely as a business, we're going down the wrong road. We'll end up being a hack. Of course, compromises will have to made in the publishing-as-business world. But when we write, we shouldn't be worried about that world. We should be worried about writing a good story that we can be proud of and that others will enjoy.

And I agree with Shawn--only amateurs say that they write for their own amusement. In fact, this isn't even writing--it's daydreaming on paper. This sentiment is what bad writers are made of.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 31, 2003).]

Sachant
Member # 1648

I agree with you completely Balthazar. While the idea of being paid for writing something enjoyable, it is not necessarily the ultimate goal. The ultimate goal is to write something that others are pleased by and enjoy.

One of the things I would love to do and plan to do is to write a book for my daughter Raven with her in it. Not one of those cheap pay for her name in a premade story things but something from the heart. She is my target audience and as long as she treasures it, I will feel fullfilled in that aspect.

Besides, we all know that most authors are hyper-critical of their own writing so most likely are never satisfied by their own works. To say they write for their own enjoyment when they can't enjoy their writing because they are critical of it is a bit of an oxymoron. Hopefully you do enjoy working on it. Hopefully it brings you happiness. But to say it's for sheer enjoyment may be stretching the truth a bit.

Very good discussion and great points. I am enjoying being in a more cerebral atmosphere. I'm a mother of a one year old and work from home. I don't get out much. lol

teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I write for myself, because I love the process of putting words on paper. I don't care if I sell anything or not. I've never even submitted anything. I have only been writing for about a year now.

I write for my wife, because she likes to read what I write. I know her opinion is biased and she doesn't read the genre I write, but she enjoys it and that's enough for me.

I write for God, because he gave me the talent.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

My husband writes Princess Larissa stories for our daughter--but nothing else--so I would say he writes those for his own amusement and the amusement of our daughter.

I can say some things I writer are for my amusement. I made up a 12 step program to go with the diet I am on. I shared it with the others in my group. Pure fun, no pressure—it took all of 10 min and I didn’t even proof read. But would I find it amusing if no one “got it”’ if no one laughed? Most likely not.

I do invitations, news letters, articles, anything written down---Solutions Inc. is what it says when my answering machine picks up---Written Solutions. To just about anything.

And I do novel writing.

So why?

It does, I think, boil down to so someone can read it—my goal is to make someone feel. Sad, happy, angry, pleased, proud—it doesn’t matter—so long as they feel.

Story tellers have been around since man walked upright—I am sure of this---maybe even before.

And what good is a story if it has no audience—even an audience of one is still an audience.

Shawn

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there enough room for the good writers?

Of course!

The hard lesson is that good and bad are never absolutes, and sometimes it's unbelievable that anyone considers the good stuff to be good. And yet it is, at least for a while.

If our culture makes room for Survivor and Jackass and Jerry Springer, yet no publiusher will touch your brilliant masterpiece, should you be discouraged? Of course not. No one wants to be compared to Jackass anyway.

Until someone replaces us with machines, there will always be room for lots of good writers. As a crowded field causes Darwinist loss of the weaker writers, the good ones must become even stronger.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz
Member # 1594

- posted      Profile for Liz   Email Liz         Edit/Delete Post 
—my goal is to make someone feel. Sad, happy, angry, pleased, proud—it doesn’t matter—so long as they feel.

>>>>>Shawn, there is a quote by the author of BASTARD OUT OF CAROLINA(forget her name who said:

I want to break the heart of the world, and then heal it. (something close to that, anyway)
Liz

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Glad to see I haven't been crucified.

By the way, Doc Brown, I know Survivor is a little bit grumpy at times, and can seem Stand-Offish, but you don't have to call him a Jackass!

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I write to tell a story.

I actually spend about as much time with my head in the clouds, dreaming up far fetched adventures (usually with myself as the heroine) as I do writing them down.

I dream for my own amusements. I write to make a lasting record or myself (in a way). I try to write *well* because some of my dreams involve other people enjoying my work too.

Christine

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I think success comes at a price, diligence and time, which is high enough to weed out those who truly love writing from those who only love the results.

In other words I think anyone who is passionate enough has the potential to be a very good writer, but without the passion they won't allow themselves the time it takes.

So this is how I feel confident in my own writing. It is something I love to do, I always have. So with patience I am not even concerned about being published.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.