Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Focusing woes

Author Topic: Focusing woes
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

- posted      Profile for Mind Surfer           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I've been a longtime viewer of this forum, but have never posted. I am pretty new to the writing world and have a hard time sitting down and focusing on the projects I am working on?

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me overcome or at least deal with this problem? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

- posted      Profile for Bene_Gesserit   Email Bene_Gesserit         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome and I think we have all experienced the same issue: writer's block; a perplexing, elaborate, gnarled & knotted issue whose explanation seems to regularly contradict itself. My suggestion is to forget high ideals and big concepts (e.g. write the greatest sci fi novel since...) at least for now.

Put every thing into do-able units. Example: every time you open your computer write sentence or paragraph, even if they are unconnected to each other. Every time you do the dishes put a quarter into a jar toward paying for a writing conference (or book) that interests you. It is the little accomplishments like this that make a person say "I can". It is little things like this that make ideas start to flow. Put a post-it inside your medicine cabinet that says: It's time to write something. Get a cup with a WRITER emblem. Declare a time period each day as your writing time (5-6AM) and do it. Find a writing power spot in your house and make it yours.

When we ascend a staircase we go one step at a time and seldom leap from the bottom to the top. There are other aspects of your life that you make happen by taking the necessary steps, correct? Writing is a job that must be built one step at a time.

But, but, but, no, it is not a job! It is my love and my passion. Wait! Passion won't get me anywhere I have to put butt on chair, Gag, this is boring. Cripes the baby is crying. Hello--Telemarketer--shut up. I have a pencil, pen, paper, computer everything a writer needs so where's the goods? The mind explodes screaming "writer's materialism" as round coffee stain rings were made on the manuscript. Hey, I have to work, an artist needs to be independently wealthy that just isn't me. Months later: Opps, it seems as though no ink is on the page.

Am I close? Or, no cigar?

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I always do better if I have some sort of plan when I set down to write. If I can, I like to leave off at a place where, even if only generally, I know what is going to come next. I put a couple of notes at the end of the file or a post-it on the monitor if I think of something later, and then when I come back the next day, I don’t just stare at the screen wondering what I’m going to write about. The staring frustrates me, and then I tend to want to put off the whole process.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people find it easier at first to talk a story than to write it.

If you're one of those, get a tape recorder and tell your story into it. Then sit down and play it back and type what you said into the computer.

Once you've got something typed in, you have words on the screen you can work with, instead of trying to force those words onto the screen in the first place.

I don't know if it will help in your case, but it's something you might want to try.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Khyber
Member # 1651

- posted      Profile for Khyber   Email Khyber         Edit/Delete Post 
A solution that works for me!

When I don't feel the motivation to write, I find that if I delete the last part of what I wrote last time, and then proceed to rewrite the scenes, I find that I keep writing beyond it! Perhaps you had some good prose last time that you might miss when you rewrite it, but at least you will be able to write... maybe this only works for me ?

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

Thank you all for your opinions. I will try them and hope for the best. Sometimes I feel that the inner critic beats me up even before I sit down. But thank you all.
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

- posted      Profile for Bene_Gesserit   Email Bene_Gesserit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, there it is. A story of inner conflict that you know well and the tormenting reasons for action and inaction. Or, it could be about an overwhelming split personality. Are you the next Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde?
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Khyber
Member # 1651

- posted      Profile for Khyber   Email Khyber         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem with writing is each set of scenes, sometimes a chapter, molds itself its own manifestation of writing style. My first chapter really caught that passive "There Will Come Soft Rains" feeling and then it leads off as I bring up my plot and really changes shape. It is nagging me to pieces with intrigue as I read my first chapter, it being so alien from the rest of my story. I think I'll just resolute to it being a prologue -- but the next chapter leads right off from what is set in the first so people WILL need to read the first chapter...
Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know I said I wasn't going to be around for a while, but I had a few minutes and thought I'd drop by for a lurk. When I got to this topic, I couldn't resist.
quote:
I am pretty new to the writing world and have a hard time sitting down and focusing on the projects I am working on?

Let me be frank: If you can't overcome this simple problem, it's probably a sure-fire sign that you like the idea of having written, but you don't like the act of writing. And if that's the case, you're not a writer. Sorry.

Now let me be a little more compassionate.

I am guess that your "block" is the result of wanting to be published. Every time you get an idea, the "inner editor" rears its ugly head and says, "You can't sell that piece of crap." You need to get this dude to shut up.

What worked for me is resolving to take on a quasi-apprenticeship. I promised myself that I wouldn't worry about sending anything out until I wrote 50 short stories (a short story for me is anything under 17,500 words--i.e., anything not a novella by the SF community). During this time period, I not only write as much as I possibly can, but I'm reading as much fiction as I possibly can as well as books on the craft of fiction.

The primary reason for taking on this kind of apprenticeship is that the craft of fiction is hard to master. Think of all the things you need to do to write a successful story: You need to know who to develop characters and conflicts between them. You need to know how to write true-to-life dialogue as well as vivid descriptions. You need to learn how to pace your story, building suspense with every page. You need to learn how to write clearly and, if you really want to be good, how to write gracefully.

The result of taking on this apprenticeship has been quite amazing. My inner editor has shut up. Since May, I have written over 50,000 words, I have completed 6 out of 10 short stories, and I'm a day or two of finishing my 7th story (a novelette). I've experimented with different writing styles and points of view. Each week that passes, I can feel myself getting better.

Of course, all of this is based on a guess: I'm guessing the reason you can't write is that you're too worried about being published. But if that's not the reason, maybe you have to face the grim fact that you're not a writer.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may have hit on something as far as gaining the needed skill to produce something that will attract the attention of agents, editors ect--but--

I wrote my now represented book with the focus on producing something that would be publishable. I followed the first book "formula" to the letter no matter what. It went very well and I liked the results--and much to my surprise it was not that hard to put my idea into a mold.

With rewrites it has come out of that mold--but by doing the formula it has gone somewhere. And my agent feels that my idea is original. Yippy.

I think if you are serious about publication, you have to write with market in mind. But if you look at the shelves there are so many ideas out there so many tastes that you should just write your idea without thought to "no one will buy this".

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

You are right Balthasar I am not "a writer" it's more like an "aspiring" to be "a writer". I appreciate the suggestions.

AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember that, as long as you write, you are a writer.

Output per day does not make a writer. Rather, getting the story finished makes you a writer. Once it is finished and out there, it can be purchased and then printed. And that's all you need to be a "writer."

Now, making a living at writing takes output. And writing every day is necessary to improve to the best of your abilities. But neither is required to be a "writer."

So don't go to the other extreme and get guilted out because you can't write X number of words a day. You can still achieve a lower level of success without it.

As for getting focused--or silencing your inner critic--a technique I've been using lately is to be schizophrenic. When writing a first draft, I am not Andrew Rey. I'm Dwain Rogers (or sometimes Dwight--I have trouble remembering ). He's a hack writer, who has no sense of style, and his works are unpolished garbage. He just whips out any thoughts he has and throws them on the page. His work is completely unpublishable.

However, when I read it, I often find it has potential. Sometimes he has good plots and ideas, and they can be salvaged. (I'm salvaging one of his works right now.) I have to add some motivation here, delete some bad dialog there, and generally rewrite the whole thing. But, in the end, I usually get a decent story.

What this little self-deception does for me is to help silence the inner-critic. Since it isn't "Andrew Rey" who is writing the story, my ego is not as involved. I've actually found myself having more fun writing as "Dwain Rogers" than as myself. So as long as I can keep telling myself that I'm not myself, I do fine.

Of course, wasn't that what Stephen King wrote about in "The Dark Half?"

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're just getting started, I wouldn’t take the "I’m not a writer" thing too seriously yet.

Quite frankly, I find it takes the fun out of the whole thing, and puts unneeded pressure on yourself – just the thing to put an inner critic into overdrive. At the beginning, you’re just finding your way, figuring out the tools and skills you need to be able to tell a story. You’re going to write some drivel (well, probably a lot of drivel to be honest about it). There’s probably salvageable bits in there too. Rewriting is your friend, and if you keep the different versions, you’ll see how far you’ve come in your writer’s evolution.

Basically, be persistent and write regularly, but don’t beat yourself up about it.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited July 16, 2003).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
A quick follow up: GZ just gave the best argument for why a beginnger (such as myself!) should take on a period of apprenticeship!
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rewriting is your friend, and if you keep the different versions, you’ll see how far you’ve come in your writer’s evolution.

either that or dig something out of the closet that you wrote 5 years ago.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I promised myself that I wouldn't worry about sending anything out until I wrote 50 short stories

That reminded me of something in the book "Worlds of Wonder" by David Gerrold that I read recently. In that he says your first million words (or some similar figure) are for practice. You practice writing stories. You practice submitting them. You practice getting rejection slips. And even if a publisher makes the mistake of accepting one of your practice stories, you're still practicing...

Very good advice I reckon :-)

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.