Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » what is enough?

Author Topic: what is enough?
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I was going over a review of one of my stories from about 6 months ago, and it made me stop and think.

-- actually this kind of goes hand in hand with the thread about spoon feeding.

The person said that they were kinda bothered that they were on page 2, and still had no idea of the actual setting.

For my story, the place that this is all happening is a few star systems away from our own, and about 700 years in the future – though you wouldn’t know it by the way the people live as their lives have evolved into a different lifestyle. – and yeah, I get to learn more about quantum physics for this world.

Anyway, at the beginning… well, like page 10 or 15, a strange ship appears, and that ship is actually from here (the solar system) though that isn’t stated until late in the story, as the main characters find out what is going on.

So the question is… how much does one need to give away at the beginning so that the reader isn’t feeling alienated? I’m not sure if I have gotten jaded by stories, and just figure that unless they are putting people into the story that I recognize the name of… like Albert Einstein, or places like the New York subway system, I’m willing to go along with the author just telling me the story and until something jars me to a time that it should be, or puts in items which don’t go together as I know them, then it isn’t a problem.

But since I know that I'm not the average reader, I figured that I would ask the forums in general.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you could start of by saying, "A long time in the future, in a star system far, far away..."

If you are deliberately obfuscating information that would help the reader understand the setting, that's bad.

However, if you are just showing us people's lives, it's natural that some information won't come up at first, and it doesn't really need to be told to the reader until the reader needs to know.

For example, that fact that your story takes place 700 years in the future doesn't need to be specified until it becomes relevant. The average reader of SF will pick up on gentle clues. For example, the sentence "It wasn't quite winter, but the cold wind made the nanothreads in Krall's shirt respond by releasing a gentle warmth," is going to give readers a very different idea about the setting than, "It wasn't quite winter, but the cold wind made Krall clutch his furs more tightly."

If you throw in clues that the society is high-tech, readers will assume it's the future. They may not know if it's 50 years or 50 million, but until that becomes relevant, it doesn't really matter. "High-tech society" is a stereotype the reader will feel comfortable with. (This is a stereotype in the good sense, in that it allows the reader to naturally assume details that would be too boring if you had to describe them all.)

As long as you keep dropping clues tyhat allow the reader to properly refine his image of the world, it's not a problem. But if the reader has been imaginging a high-tech society, and then you reveal on page 82 that the whole society live underwater and the people have been genetically engineered to have gills... Well, that's something the reader needed by page two, preferably on page one. Not the genegineering part, but the fact that the characters are water-breathers.

I gues the question you need to keep asking yourself is, What important false assumptions will my readers have at this point? Then find a spot before that to give the reader the correct info.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

I see your point, but I am still not sure how to set it up so that the audience immediately gets it.

ok... to give you an idea, the type of world that I have is kinda like "Star Trek Insurrection" - only there aren't strange people getting facelifts on a daily basis trying to take over the planet. -- but it is kinda rural, and life has slowed down again from the frantic pace that is 21st century living.

I use the word "Mage" and "magic" to refer to someone who can do things with their minds... so a firestarter is considered a Mage, for example. - granted they are trained to do it on cue also, not just when they get pissy. -- that more than anything might confuse people, but it was the best word I could come up with to classify.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Then it seems to me that how far in the future is not relevant right off the bat. Heck, it could be in the past, but until the humans show up it doesn't matter. (I'm assuming these are not humans?) The best thing to do in that case would be to highlight something about the planet that makes it clear we're not on earth, preferrably in the first couple of paragraphs. Twin moons is always a good, clear signal, but there are others. Then we also need the answer to are they human or not? Then we will assume, if they are human, that this is the future and humanity has spread to other planets, possibly even so far in the future that they have forgotten their earth roots. If they are not human, we need to know the differences as soon as possible. (The gills question.)
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we need to know the differences as soon as possible? Isn't it better (at least in some circumstances) to find out later? Then the reader can have an 'oh, yes, that's why...' experience. I always like those.

Many good science fiction stories are mysteries: some ask what is the scientific basis for this occurrence, others ask what sociological conditions led to this particular society existing, there are lots more kinds as well.

If you feel the right place to tell the reader some important fact is near the end of the story, I say go for it. But leave behind a few clues that could put a particularly observant reader on the right track.

That's a good way of writing fiction that _I_ would find satisfying, anyway. Can't speak for everybody else, though.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Jules, in a sense, you're absolutely right.

But those good feelings come from the successful conclusion to a mystery, not from the sudden understand of the answer to "What the @#$*! is going on?"

What's the difference? I think choice of point of view is critical here. Because the reader should know *everything* the point of view character knows. If we don't, we're feeling cheated. If the point of view character is trying to solve a mystery, then it's exciting! We see, through the character's eyes, that something weird is going on and we wonder, as he/she does, what it is.

If, on the other hand, the point of view character knows something and simply wais until the end to tell us, it's a horrible feeling.

Now, based on personal feelings, I have to say that I would not see the questin of setting to ever be a mystery. I would always want to know about when and where we are, and whether or not the creatures are human. The questions Jules mentioned are excellent mysteries, just as long as it's someone who doesn't know the answers seeking them out.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine is right.

A good rule of thumb is to pay attention to the point of view you are telling the story from.

If the reader were actually there, seeing and hearing and feeling, etc, the things that are going on in the story, what would the reader notice?

Even if the point of view character is ignoring the space monkey swinging along in the titanium lattice overhead, and screaming profanities in three different alien tongues, if that space monkey is likely to play a part in the story, the reader needs to know about it because the point of view character is aware of it, and knows things without, thinking about them, about that space monkey and why it would be there.

You have to ask yourself how much the reader needs to know to "get it" when you bring something into the action of the story.

Neglecting to reveal something important that the point of view character already knows just so you can "surprise" the reader is a cheap trick. There are plenty of other ways to build suspense, especially by letting the reader know things the point of view character DOESN'T know, if that's what you want to do in the story. Don't play tricks on the reader by withholding things they should know.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

quote:
Because the reader should know *everything* the point of view character knows. If we don't, we're feeling cheated.

I agree there. However, if the character doesn’t know, or for whatever reason doesn’t care. – in the case of this story, it is a doesn’t know… but there are times where a story takes place on some part of Mars, but the character in question doesn’t think of it as Mars, but rather that small area that they are in – of course that brings up another issue.

quote:
I have to say that I would not see the question of setting to ever be a mystery. I would always want to know about when and where we are, and whether or not the creatures are human.

The description of the characters would lead one to believe they are human… which they are. There is even a comment when the “aliens” arrive where she says that some of the words sound familiar, though most don’t – this of course is a “sound familiar” as there are some words in Beowulf that kinda sound familiar.

I think that part of my confusion stems from so many fantasy stories which could literally be set anywhere, and often don’t have set places where they exist – of course the label that a publisher puts on it or the magazine that it is printed in would help the reader with the idea of where a story could be taking place… in some made up world, in the known past, in the unknown future, etc.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
But shouldn't all stories have some mystery? If the reader is not thinking at all, not questing for the answers, and reading more to learn the answers, wouldn't they be better off watching a sit com?

One of the reasons I enjoy reading so much is because I like to think, I like a book to inspire me to reach beyond the daily grind to something more. I have discovered in my own writings I like to keep the reader guessing somewhat. I want them to get interested and feel a need to keep reading to learn the answer. I'll admit I'm still learning how to do this right, but its the way I want to write it. Its also the way I like to read it.

Forgive me if you are not a harry potter fan, but the 5th book was doing quite a bit of carrot dangling. The first several chapters the main character was in the dark. The answers were eventually given, but it kept up a mystery of what was really going on. Suspense works, and me and obviously others enjoy that greatly in a book.

I think the trick would be to get the reader to accept the world as it is. Get the reader to accept the situation as normal. An alien on another planet would think in terms of its timeline and would not be able to relate to a human perspective. Get the reader to look at it in terms of the alien (or culture) and if there is a meeting between the two then references could be delt with if needed.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that part of my confusion stems from so many fantasy stories which could literally be set anywhere, and often don’t have set places where they exist – of course the label that a publisher puts on it or the magazine that it is printed in would help the reader with the idea of where a story could be taking place… in some made up world, in the known past, in the unknown future, etc.

If it doesn't matter where the story takes place, then it doesn't matter whether the reader knows that this little bit of sword-and-sorcery takes place an a backwater village in medieval France from a parallel universe or on an Earth-like planet in the Andromeda galaxy. But the reader has to know the important details of the setting: people ride horses instead of driving cars or using personal wormholes, people kill others with swords or arrows or spells rather than with Uzis or matter disintigration rays.

Those details are enough for the reader to place the story within a context he understands. The farther your story's setting is from anything the reader would easily understand, the more details you must include for the reader to make sense of the story.

And those details need to be given as early in the story as possible, if they are details with which the POV character is familiar.

For example, if the story is set in present-day America, and suddenly on page 104 a dragon shows up and starts eating an SUV, your POV character had better be surprised. And not an I-thought-dragons-only-ate-two-door-vehicles kind of surprise, but a full that-can't-possibly-be-what-it-looks-like-so-they-must-be-making-a-movie kind of surprise.

Christine
Member # 1646

Ok, then let me rephrase what I said. I wouldn't want a significant part of a story to be about the discovery that we're actually on Mars, or any other planet, although if this isn't something that can be put into words right away, so be it. That said, if the main character doesn't think of it that way, ok. But Mars should be an easy one to clue us in on even if the main character doesn't think, "I'm on Mars." It's the red planet, and if you describe it that way, we'll know it's Mars even if you call it Googleplex.

Here's another possibility. One you can take or leave as you see fit. You are translating the language that these Martians speak into Englich. It took me a while to get my mind around thie one, but when you're translating from an alien tongue to English, translate everything that we have a word for. It just so happens we have a word for Mars. Certainly the thoughts about Mars will be different, the main character will think of it nonchalantly, as home, much the way we think of Earth, but it isn't a problem to just translate the name into English.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Lord Darkstrom,

Yes, mystery and suspense are good things in a book. But the reader should feel a sense of mystery and suspense along with the POV character, rather than having a POV character who knows perfectly well what is going on while the reader is totally confused.

The examples you cite in Harry Potter work because Harry doesn't understand what is going on. In fact, Harry is very upset precisely because the people who know what's going on are deliberately hiding information from him.

If Harry knew what was going on, but you as the reader didn't, you would have been very annoyed with J.K. Rowling. Instead, you share Harry's annoyance at the people who are concealing information. Note that either way, the author is hiding information from the reader, but one way feels legitimate and one way feels like cheating.

Using a POV character who does not know the information that must remain hidden is good. Having a POV character know something important that is not shared with the reader breaks the trust between author and reader.

P.S. I am guilty of this in my own writing. It's a habit i'm trying to break.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited July 23, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited July 23, 2003).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.