Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Powers of 10

Author Topic: Powers of 10
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out:
http://www.micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html
It's .

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me, I found an interesting resource at www.scifi-az.com . They have a PDF star map that shows all the stars within 25 lightyears of Earth. It is a star [i]map[i] rather than a star chart, in that while it is centered on Earth, the stars are laid out in a Cartesian system rather than as a representation of the night sky as seen from Earth. It also has referance material about star types and a listing of all the more well known stars and where they are as well.

You can view it directly by clicking here or just download the PDF by right clicking and selecting 'download target'.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. My name is pickled shuttlecock, and I feel quite small.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
A useful resource when you're looking at the table of stars in the PDF linked above is this:

http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/lessons/less/les1/StarTables.html

It includes a bit more information about the different classes of stars, including a range for the orbits at which a planet would receive the same amount of radiation from the star as Earth does from the Sun, which is a handy figure to have available :-)

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Of course, we should be able to figure that out for ourselves...but I personally...am not actually too lazy, but I....

What was my point?

Oh, yes, you also need to take into account the spectrum of light you're getting. The big boyz won't only not last long enough to develop complex life on their own, they won't be too nice for colonization, because their spectrum is skewed to the high end. The same isn't true of the runtz, though.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.