Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Advise from Somerset Maugham

Author Topic: Advise from Somerset Maugham
Jerome Vall
Member # 1905

- posted      Profile for Jerome Vall           Edit/Delete Post 
I just started reading THE MOON AND SIXPENCE by Somerset Maugham. (In case you don’t know, Maugham was the most famous and highest paid author of the first half of the 20th century, and Orwell said that Maugham was the contemporary writer he admired most.) At the beginning of this novel, this great author, speaking through his first-person narrator, gives some judicious advise to writers:

quote:
I have never failed to read the Literary Supplement of The Times. It is a salutary discipline to consider the vast number of books that are written, the fair hopes with which their authors see them published, and the fate which awaits them. What chance is there that any book will make its way among the multitude? And the successful books are but the successes of a season. Heaven knows what pains the author has been at, what bitter experiences he has endured and what heartache suffered, to give some chance reader a few hours’ relaxation or to while away the tedium of a journey. And if I may judge from the reviews, many of these books are well and carefully written; much thought has gone to their composition; to some even has been given the anxious labour of a lifetime. The moral I draw is that the writer should seek his reward in the pleasure of his work and in release from the burden of his thoughts; and, indifferent to aught else, care nothing for praise or censure, failure or success.

Sobering, eh?

[This message has been edited by Jerome Vall (edited February 05, 2004).]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite, from Josephine Tey ("The Daughter of Time":

quote:
Far too many books are written.

That's sobering, too.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
And of course my corollary:
quote:
Far too few are read.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use a signature when I post or send email (other than my email address), but I've been tempted at times to use
quote:
So many books, so little time
as a signature. It is the story of my life.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
That, Kathleen, is all too true.

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll offer my oft-offered John Lennon quote: "As breathing is my life, to stop I dare not dare."
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it is a shame how many good books get forgoten after they go out of print. I've scoured the net many times looking for a book that is no longer available.

It seems like these books die, and are forgotten.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Vall
Member # 1905

- posted      Profile for Jerome Vall           Edit/Delete Post 
First -- I used to lament that there were so many books and so little time, until a 70-year-old professor of mine looked me in the eye and said, "Just think, you'll never run of out something good to read." I'm 30 and find it difficult to accept such sagacious advice, but it does cheer me up . . . somewhat.

Second -- I really, really like the passage from Somerset Maugham. I first heard of him in Damon Knight's book on short story writing and read Maugham's story called "Rain" (not bad). It's always a little disconcerting when a rich and famous writer tells you not worry about money and fame, but then again they're the only ones who know what it means to be a rich and famous writer.

There's something pure about Maugham's words. If you can really appropriate them and make them part of your writing life, then I think you'll be better for it. Because in the end, the only thing that matters is the writing. Maugham wasn't essentially happier because he was rich and famous (though, as Forest Gump noted, being rich means you have one less worry). He was happy because he had cultivated and (to a degree) perfected his art.

Of course, Maugham isn't talking about publication. Publication is more about validation than anything else. Editors are the only critics a beginning author really cares about. If I'm published then I've made it . . . to a certain point, at least. There's still the matter of sales and readership. So I suppose if anything (forgive me for thinking out loud) fame is more important to a writer than money. If I'm a famous writer, my work has not only been validated by the editors but by the only people that really matter--the readers.

But now I've gone far beyond what Maugham said: "The moral I draw is that the writer should seek his reward in the pleasure of his work and in release from the burden of his thoughts; and, indifferent to aught else, care nothing for praise or censure, failure or success." So I guess at the end of the day, there's only one person that matters--the writer.

Sorry; it's been a tough day. Thanks for listening.

[This message has been edited by Jerome Vall (edited February 11, 2004).]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maugham's story called "Rain" (not bad).

One of my very favorite short stories.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.