Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Cry for my horribly-written lyrics Argentina

Author Topic: Cry for my horribly-written lyrics Argentina
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! I had to watch "Evita" the other day for my South American History class...oh my gosh! Does anybody know who the songwriters were for that music. Those were some of the worst lyrics I have ever heard in my life. Whoever wrote those lyrics, I certainly hope that was the last job they ever landed as a lyricist. Any would-be poets and songwriters who want to learn what not to do, I highly recommend picking up a copy of that movie. Really, I can't say enough about how poorly written those lyrics were.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion. I liked the lyrics to the songs of Evita, although they made some changes for the movie that I felt were for the worse.

"Another Suitcase in Another Hall" is one of my all-time favorite songs from a musical, although in the original version it's sung, not by Eva, but by Juan Peron's sixteen-year-old mistress after Eva kicks her out.

The original version of "Eva's Lament" contains some of the most powerful lyrics I've ever heard, and unfortunately they were gutted for the movie version.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, you're picking one of favorite musicals! I love "Don't Cry for Me Argentina". I agree that "Another Suitcase in Another Hall" is very powerful. Apparently I need to see the live version, I admit I've only ever seen the movie version, but even so....I've got it on tape and it's one that I put on for background music all the time. (That or Shrek....guess my tatsed go all over the board depending on my mood. )
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to the original question... I think Tim Rice is the man to blame.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Rice is the one responsible for the lyrics, and Andrew Lloyd Webber for the music. I always rather liked Evita, although I perfer the London Recording over the Madanna version.

Not his last job ever, either. He did the lydrics for Chess, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat with ALW (pre-Evita), and The Lion King w/ Elton John.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited February 13, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as musicals go, IT SUCKED! No other words for it. I can list at least ten other musicals that are miles above that one. And another ten that make that one look like a Jr. High stage production.

Even some of the more recent ones like CHICAGO and MOULIN ROUGE are better than that. One of my all time favorites, WEST SIDE STORY makes EVITA look like it was done by 2nd graders.

But the worst part of your post is, that your instructor thought that EVITA was a good example for teaching South American History. I would have to call that a cop-out. That to me is just poor planning on the instuctors part. It is a sad thing when they have to use a musical as a teaching aide. I could maybe see it in a Humanities class, but not History.

I might think of asking for my money back if I were you. If this is an example of what passes for instruction for the entire quarter/semester, your gettin' ripped off buddy!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now, TruHero. Don't get too worked up over this. Remember that judgments of this sort vary from person to person.

I thought Moulin Rouge was so appallingly bad that I couldn't watch more than the first fifteen minutes. (And if we're talking about lyrics, from what I understand it had no original songs.) But some people thought it was worthy of an Oscar for Best Picture.

I enjoyed Chicago: I thought it was a lot of fun. I even bought the soundtrack.

I love Singing in the Rain, The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, The King and I, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Les Miserables, The Music Man, The Phantom of the Opera, White Christmas and more.

But I have to say that in my opinion, only Les Miserables has more meaningful, serious lyrics than Evita. (There are a lot of musicals that have lyrics that are more fun.)

Oh, and as for West Side Story? It's OK, I guess, but I'd rather watch Evita.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
We're missing something on this thread. Reasons to back up our opinions. It is fine if you don't like Evita, but why not? What was wrong with it? For that matter, what was right about West Side Story or Chicago? To be honest, I don't remember West Side Story, I saw it so long ago, I only remember that I didn't like it. As for Chicago, I left after half an hour because the dream segments were driving me nuts and the music was killing me ears.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Okay, here's why you're all wrong (except for TruHero). Evita is one of the worst cases I've ever seen of completely twisting the rhythm of the lyrics to fit the message. I don't actually remember any of the lyrics, so I'm afraid I can't back this up with examples. They depart completely from the song, leaving behind rhythm, rhyme, and anything else that makes sense and good music. This happens in pretty much every song. I will have to say, I thought Madonna did a fantastic job singing the crap out of those songs, but that was the only good point, and it's not that good of a point since the songs she's singing the crap out of were horrible songs. Seriously, what a horrible lyricist.

By the way, TruHero, it wasn't shown as an accurate example of South American history. We were told not to focus on the whether it was historically accurate or not, at least in the specifics, and just focus on the over-arching themes that are shown in the movie. (Interclass relations, political movements, etc.) This is a reason, not an excuse. There is no excuse for making me watch that movie.

TruHero
Member # 1766

Ok, just to clarify my feelings. I think wetwilly just nailed it. The tempo of the music would slow, but they just kept shoving words in there to complete the thought or sentance or something? The lyrics didn't seem to fit the music or the melody in some cases. And for that matter, from what I remember, some of those songs seriously lacked melody.

I must admit that the musicals I referenced where fun, and Moulin Rouge did use existing songs, but the twists they used on those songs were entertaining. Neither Chicago or Moulin Rouge are on my list of favorites. I was just referring to more current work.

I realize that everyone has different tastes so I will add "in my opinion" to my previous post.

Now on to one or two of the musicals that EJS mentioned. You threw out some that are definately on my all time favorite list. Fiddler, Sound of Music, Les Mis., King and I. All of these have a basis in serious historical reference.

Let's take Fiddler for instance. Set during the Russian revolution, showing a family, no, a whole villiage being torn apart by change and violence. They were all lucky they weren't killed, and just let go. The songs and lyrics in that musical meant more to me almost than any other. I got a clearer picture from Fiddler about the hardships, love, and laughter they experienced, than Evita. It is hard for me to even make a comparison.

I saw Fiddler when I was around eight years old for that first time, along with West Side Story. I have the DVD's and soundtracks for both and can belt out any of the songs from either. I couldn't even begin to do that with Evita, except for the "Don't cry for me" song. Which in itself eclipses the whole production. I guess that Evita isn't as "full" as some of the others that we've mentioned.

I have seen and done scenery for most of the Musicals on your list, and others, Mr. Roberts, Carousel, Annie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hound of the Baskervilles, Scrooge, My Fair Lady, Annie Get Your Gun and on and on. My Dad is a scenic artist and I used to be his helper at various theaters and Movie sets.

I just don't feel that Evita has the staying power of any of the others listed. "In my opinion" it can't even compete.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that there is probably something to that (but avoid embarrassing us all by forcing a comparison of who has actually helped to produce what musicals--I would be forced to admit having helped, reluctantly, put on a production of Oklahoma --so ashamed...).

I usually think that lyrics should be, well...lyrical.

And of course, I can't stand Evita Peron or Madonna....

Look, my point is that Eric is right. These sorts of judgements vary from person to person, and even the issue of whether 'powerful' lyrics have to be strictly lyric is very much open to debate over form and formalism and all kinds of stupid arty stuff. I personally think that anyone that liked Evita got suckered one way or another (most likely several ways).

But I would hesitate to say that this is because the lyrics violate conventional expectations of rhyme and rhythm. After all, just as dissonnance is a potentially powerful musical tool, so also can similar violations of meter and euphony render a song memorible and emotionally powerful (particularly songs that are supposed to convey about anger or despair--I understand that there's supposed to be a hell of a lot of both in Evita).

Ultimately, some people like it for the very reasons that you hated it...and affective use of breaking meter and melody (which is what you're talking about) is a legitimate reason to like a song (even for people who find the concept of Madonna as Eva Peron almost too apt).

I personally found some of the songs in Evita very powerful...perhaps a bit stomach turning, but that is a legitimate aim of music as well. I didn't like the musical and haven't seen the movie (why would I go to see a movie of a musical I already knew I detested?), but they do work, by the only measure that matters.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

I do agree with you about Madonna playing Evita, a more perfect fit there couldn't have been.
Also, about some of the other musical points you brought out about dissonnance and meter, I agree as well. In fact I agree with you on most of the things you said.

However, I do take the set design thing seriously, and I am not ashamed. That was my Fathers profession. We (my Dad and I) designed and painted scenery for all of those musicals and plays for local theaters like Hale, Promised Valley, Pioneer and Capitol. Not Broadway, but the biggies for SLC. We did a few movies and TV episodes as well.

I did add the disclaimer earlier that this was "my opinion", but possibly an educated one.

Survivor, here you are defending something you hate. Are you showing your chivalrous tendancies again?

wetwilly, sorry for hijacking your thread a bit

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

De gustibus non est disputandum.
TruHero
Member # 1766

Cute. You can quote a dead language.

As far as the taste comment goes, you don't need to make any excuses!

Hehehe, Come on, I'll play nice if you will!
Besides I only know a few things in Latin, and if you throw any more at me sooner or later I wouldn't be able to decipher them. Just tellin the truth! I find that most people aren't as sophisticated as they think they are, but cleverness goes a long way. Break-a-leg!

wetwilly
Member # 1818

No problem, TruHero. Please feel free to hijack away. I've said what I had to say on the subject, and now everybody is more than welcome to duke it out.

Look, all I'm trying to say is the songs from Evita sucked, and anyone who disagrees with me is a sucker.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone tell me what any of this has to do with the craft of writing?
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

Uh, (*shrug*) wetywilly started it. Even he had the good sense to say he was finished. I think it had to do with writing very bad lyrics. And I am done now too! Thanks for the exit cue Balthasar.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Yup, it was definitely about lyric-writing and one (in my opinion) very bad example of it.
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one cited the best example of lyric writing genius, my personal favourite, 'Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off':

Troy: [singing] I hate every ape I see
From chimpan-a to chimpan-zee
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me

Oh my G--, I was wrong
It was Earth all along

You've finally made a monkey
Apes: Yes, we've finally made a monkey
Troy: Yes, you've finally made a monkey out of me
Apes: Yes, we've finally made a monkey out of you

Troy: I love you, Dr. Zaius!

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Now that is some great lyric writing. Thank you Nick for showing us that it's not all like "Evita," sometimes the lyrics in a musical can be heartfelt and meaningful, like in your example. Yes, "Planet of the Apes: The Musical" is one of the greatest artistic works of our time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.