Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Non-Hatrack Writers Groups

Author Topic: Non-Hatrack Writers Groups
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last month, I’ve been trying a "real life" writing group. It’s been interesting, but one thing I’m noticing that I really don’t like about it is that everything is done verbally. People bring copies, then read a 1000-2000 word segment of their novel or story out loud to the group, then everyone else verbally comments.

I’m finding the format rather hard to deal with. One, you can never examine a story as a whole, because it is fragmented over several weeks, which makes it really hard to tell about consistency of voice and plot logic since you may not remember last week very well (Its even worse with the novels – what can you really say about chapter 28 when you have no idea what happened in chapters 1-27). Two, reader talent starts factoring in on how entertained you were by the story, which has little to do with the writing. Three, you have very little time to absorb what you read/heard, which makes it hard to offer specific feedback. In fact, some people don’t get very much feedback, and almost no comments are actually written on the handouts, which is part of what they are there for. And Four, its hard to tell how many people feel the same way about a particular issue, since usually only one person will comment on it, and you may or may not get nods from the others.

Somehow, I think reading things to yourself slowly, and writing out your comments, even if they will be discussed verbally later, is really more the way to go.

It makes me realize what really great feedback I’ve gotten on things I’ve had critiqued through Hatrack. Most responses have been detailed, thought out, and politely, but honestly brutal when needed, which is also much easier to deal with when you aren’t staring the person in the eye as they clutch their baby to their chest and argue back about how they disagree with your opinion. You can slowly absorb what people have written back to you, and compare differing opinions at leisure. And it is also a community that is biased towards understanding the particular needs of speculative fiction.

Anybody else have some experience with things like this?

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall a Creative Writing class back in '88. The same teacher taught two classes that semester. Apparently, in the other class, the general tone was negative- a real crit fest of "I don't like this." Our group was far more positive and upbeat.

Depends on who you end up with. Sometime, immediate criticism can be excellent, but onlyfrom a person who's been doing it for a long time, like a teacher.

At this stage in my education as a writer, I see no reason to find a live group; my ego's essentially healthy, and I don't need face to face positive feedback. Besides, when I do need that kind of thing, I can e-mail my stuff to mom.

Stay away from the live groups, is my advice.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it sounds like your group needs to rethink its format. Now you're not just dealing with one reader and his/her opinion of your work...you're dealing with group issues. I thought about digging out my old social psych book, but I think you got the idea already anyway. And reading out loud? You want to critique me on my performanc skills! No way!

The only "in person" feedback I've gotten has been from my husband and my father, and at least then I'm not dealing with the group issues you've mentioned. But there is something to be said for reading a critique and being able to yell irrationally for a bit without offending your critiquer. I was afraid for a while that my father had stopped giving me honest feedback because my voice wuold get kinda sulky over the phone when he told me what was wrong. My husband doesn't care if I get sulky, but he's a bit of an oddball...the type that's not afraid to say, "Yes, you do look fat in that dress!"

Back on subject....if you can convince your writing group, then you might want to try to change format. I would actually love to join a live group. There's a social element to it, if nothing else. On-line is great, but I don't get to know anyone this way. I've seen books dedicated to showing you how to set up a group like that. I haven't read any, but you might want to check out the library and see what they ahve to say. You just have to temper that yelling irrationally thing...no wait, that was me.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a weekly live group that's been working for me, even though sometimes I don't get a lot of specific feedback on what I've brought.

Some tips:

1. Someone other than the writer should read the piece aloud. This is good for a couple of reasons. Difficulties the reader will have with names, for instance, become readily apparent. And it gives the writer a chance to hear what it sounds like, which is different from the effect of reading ones own work aloud.

2. Learn from the discussion of other people's manuscripts. Seeing the mistakes others have made helps you avoid them.

3. Don't ever bring the same piece to writers group, even if you have totally re-written it. Not only is it boring, but some people might be offended that you didn't take their suggestions.

4. Even if you get nothing more out of it, having a weekly group to which you are expected to bring something may be worthwhile just in forcing you to write.

I'm in a group with a romance writer, a YA writer, a children's author, and a playwright. I get a lot of very different perspectives that I wouldn't get with a group that focused on SF&F. It helps me to write SF that isn't completely inaccessible to people unfamiliar with the genre. It also helps me broaden my writing horizons; I have a romantic subplot in my fantasy novel that I feel more confident about writing, thanks to discussions in my writers group regarding the romance author's writing.

Now, for someone who doesn't feel confident about the science in their science fiction, a writers group that is focused on SF might be very helpful. I'm just saying that it's a good idea to step back and try to determine what form of writers group might work best for you.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
All of my critiques have been from on-line, except for my husband's (and I e-mail him and he e-mails it back!). I have been thinking of starting a live group as I can't seem to find any. The advantage of that is hopefully setting it up properly in the first place.

I think Christine is right - the format needs to be changed. Writer's Digest suggested this site http://www.6ftferrets.com/ because it was designed to help you start a group, or help you with a group. You may want to check it out.

Something I like about the on-line critiques is that people have to do it without knowing what everyone else is saying. So if all the people reading your piece have the same or very similar comments, you can feel pretty confident about what you need to do in a rewrite. This just happened to me, and I'm not sure if a live group would have provided the same feedback. What if someone wanted to "be kind" instead of providing constructive critique? That would be "nice" but in reality it would not be helpful.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
There are pros and cons both ways, with all kinds of variables -- especially the people, and most especially the people in a live group. I belonged to one when I lived in a different state and it worked quite well. In fact, we all still keep in touch pretty much.

It's best when live groups are small; I think 5-6 members is more than enough in order for each writer to get a decent round and keep the time element in check. In our case, we brought copies of our work for all the members and followed as the writer read, marking as we went and commenting afterward. We got along well and I think managed a non-offensive honesty.

We had a lot of fun, too, and went to a couple writer's conferences together. In fact, that's how we all met.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

One thing that has been brought up that is a good point...listening to other people's critique of other people's work is a great way to learn to write! I found that to be one of the most benefitial aspects of going to Boot Camp this past summer. It's also one thing that gets missed from the F&F section...maybe next time I get some feedback I should send it out to everyone else who gave me feedback, so they can learn.
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think I’ve about come to terms that this group’s setup isn’t for me and I’m in no position to go changing things. It’s a group that has been established for at least four years, with its own core of regulars. I think I just qualify as a frequent guest or something. J One they probably won’t miss. There have be as many as 16 people some nights, most with a piece, and that gets to be a real marathon session (3 hrs +) with a very divided focus (with so many pieces).

I do like being around the other writers, and hearing their different views, which as Eric pointed out, can be good if they don’t focus on speculative fiction. They are just nice people too. But I think I feel that "nice" factor that punahougirl84 is talking about. I know I’m doing it, and I know that’s no way to really get a lot out of a crit group.

And its funny, I feel like I’ve learn a lot by doing stints in the Fragments and Feedback section. (I do wish I could hear what other people said, after I’ve put down my thoughts). But I just feel sort of numb when I leave the live group. And brain dead. Maybe I just don’t think too good by the time 10 pm. comes around after starting my day at 5 am.

Enough semi-whining on my part… It’s not like people are hog-tying me and dragging me bodily off to this. Time to consider a plan B, or something like that.

<off to check out some of those links>

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, GZ. Thought I'd add my thoughts, though I'm a bit late coming in with them!

Was once part of a face-to-face writing group. It started out like yours - everyone reading through pages and pages. Ouch! Then one person (the most published) scratched that idea, and from then on we really started to "click."

We met once per week, but the Wed. *before* the meeting anyone who wanted feedback had to distribute what they wanted critiqued. They also had to state what, specifically, they were looking for. Sometimes a person just wanted "general" feedback, other times it was more specific, say, timing of a scene, cadence of the words, or character building/progression.

The night of the meeting, we set a timer, giving us 10 minutes to discuss each submission. (Sometimes a submisson was so intriguing, or the problems/whatever of it the same, that we'd vote to go over the time limit.)

This worked really well. From that group, one person sold a hardcover children's book, another a suspense novel, and two others romance novels.

Yes, we had some members who filtered in now and then and who didn't want any criticism (they argued every point), but giving them only 10 minutes was the trick.

What I learned from the experience is that a good leader is needed - one who can shut down the grumblers, and can keep everyone on task.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
My experience of the only group I could find locally is actually even worse - typically 10-15 people would turn up to a 3 hour meeting... we would only get time to read about 500 words, and the quality of the feedback was generally "that was nice" or some other such overly-complimentary stuff. Occasionally someone would point out gross POV problems (only about half of us understood how POV should normally be used).

Also, only one of the others ever worked in SF, the rest were split fairly evenly between detective fiction, romance and non-fiction (primarily memoirs).

It just wasn't working, as far as I was concerned, so I left them to it.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

One of the most difficult things to get from any critique group, on-line or off...is honesty. It seems the self-esteem culture has set in and we're afraid to upset anyone....Well how the heck am I supposed to get better then? I know I have it in me, now help me get there!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.