Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Will read your manuscript for $49.99

Author Topic: Will read your manuscript for $49.99
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about getting your first novel published. Granted, most people are weary to spend any time with someone who hasn't been published before. So, what is the most common way to get your first break?

I'm under the understanding that you flood the market with queries/submissions, and hope that the "fish bite". Strangely enough, living through this process I've found that many of them don't.

It's odd, though. 25% of my submissions came back saying "We're full" in the first week (plus travel time from coast to coast). Then came a dry spell, proceeded by 50% of my queries (a few weeks later) that were returned as "It's not right for us". Now, I have a remaining 25% that haven't returned. S'interesting, I wonder if the remaining 25% are actually pondering my "three chapters". It's hit and miss, I'm sure, but it sure is fun. Every day is like a free chance at the lottery. I wait for the mailman like a kid on Christmas morning.

But I'll tell you what. I meet a lot of people, being in the military, and a buddy of mine is from New York. He said that he knew some people, called in a favour, and my MS was sitting on a publisher's desk in NY the following monday!?!?!? Honestly, I wish I'd spent more time networking and less time licking stamps.

Is that what it takes to get a break? Hard work AND/OR connections? That sounds an awful lot like the real world to me.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
As Michael Jackson once told me, "It's not what you know, it's who you know, and how much you can get them to do for you without obligating yourself."

(He wasn't THE Michael Jackson, he was just a college roommate of mine who happened to have that name. He had a rather cynical outlook on life. He also claimed that cheerleaders suffer more career-ending injuries than football players, so I don't know that he's all that reliable as a source of information.)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he was counting pregnancies....
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
That's exciting, JB. Let us know how it goes. And good luck.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Random
Member # 1945

- posted      Profile for Random           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that knowing people can never hurt your chances of getting noticed, but your writing would still have to be good enough to make it further in the process.

Just an aside, but I was under the impression that most editors don't want simultaneous submissions. Is there a loophole to avoid this? It always seemed a bit extreme to need to wait for 4-8 months for a reply before you can send it out again.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of the major frustrations of writers everywhere, new, published, and even established (best-selling authors don't tend to have a problem with it because they don't have to wait, usually).

I have seen almost as much discussion on that question as I have on how to submit a manuscript.

One answer is to have an agent, because an agent can submit things simultaneously--in what is called a book auction (though unless the agent is really good, most publishers will ignore such auctions), but that's only for books, and agents who can do that successfully are hard to get.

Another answer is to include in the cover letter a deadline, after which the author will submit the manuscript elsewhere. Unless you are an established writer or one with absolutely wonderful stories, you run the risk of alienating editors with such tactics.

Probably the best solution is to send the story off and get to work on more stories, so that you have something else to think about while you wait those 4-8 months.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Some connections can't hurt. But the hard work pays off as well. Those who give up after one or two rejections are the ones that get scammed.

If you know someone you can't go wrong using that connection--why would you not use it?

Out of 67 rejections I averaged 3 out of every 7 asking for more material--(agents, not publishers.) I sent a query to only one publisher, an editor a new marginally and had told me to send her anything else I was working on. I got a standard form rejection to the sample chapters, not at all what I had gotten from her in the past.

Funny, now my agent has my ms on her desk--she did remember seeing the title come in, but hadn't had the time to read it herself--having an agent brought it to her attention.

I am lucky that I have an agent who can get by with the mass amount of subs at once and get a good response. We are down to 5 still looking at the MS, but it only takes one to say yes.

And no matter how you get there--the goal is to get there.

Remember: Money flows toward the writer and the only place a writer signs a check is on the back.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I come from the business world, and I've found that at least one thing translates: networking pays off. I am convinced that I wouldn't have my complete manuscript in the hands of a reputable (albeit pokey)agent right now if it hadn't been referred to her by a mutual friend, a successful writer/critic who is one of her current clients. I also have another story that a different, well-known author is advising me on how to expand to book length, after which she wants to take it directly to her publisher.

So how to network? Conventions are a terrific way to do it. Attending workshops taught by/attended by pros is another. Join groups such as PSFS (Philadelphia Science Fiction Society) that lets you socialize with other writers/editors.

You don't need to be pushy, or throw pages of your latest work in these folks' faces to network (in fact, you better not). A little active participation goes a long way; be friendly, volunteer, take a leadership role, or just chat before/after an event.
Introduce the fact that you are an aspiring writer when it organically fits into the conversation. You'll be surprised how many pros like to give advice and a leg up to aspiring authors like yourself, especially if they already know and like you.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
On that note, does anyone know which conventions are worthwhile to attend? Also, money is tight right now. I honestly don't see myself flying out to New York anytime soon for a conference. I pulled some together for boot camp last summer, but not this year. Lately I've been trying to find something in the midwest I could attend to start networking. Does anyone have any ideas?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Random
Member # 1945

- posted      Profile for Random           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a listing of conventions, but it might prove helpful.

http://www.locusmag.com/Conventions.html

Thanks for the answer Kathleen that was exactly what I was wondering. Eventually I suppose I'll have enough stories to constantly have a few out at publishers.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.