Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Should I?

Author Topic: Should I?
Simon
Member # 8352

- posted      Profile for Simon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am an active user by another name, but I'm considering using this one for special moments when I really want to speak my mind about how I feel about a work without any pussyfooting around to make sure people still like me. I don't want to use it to deliberately hurt people, but sometimes I want people to be brutally honest with me to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

I'm one of the nicest people you'd meet in real life. I tend to tell little lies to make people feel good about themselves; I can't help it. I could never be as honest as I want to be with my real username. I'd probably only use this once in a while.

So what do you think? Should I delete this account, or would Simon be helpful around here?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after the thread "Why Use a Nom-de-Plume?" everyone will think you're Balthasar. Of course, you could be Balthasar who has purposely thrown us all off with his musings about 'Simon.' Or, you could be Kathleen, who suggested 'Simon' for Balthasar in the first place. Maybe we'd better engage the mystery writers among us.

Trouble with your plan, though, is that some people have trouble with pussyfooted comments. If you take off the gloves, this could get ugly. Then, too, everyone may want to adopt an alter ego. Then it'll get ugly and confusing.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Simon
Member # 8352

- posted      Profile for Simon           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it would help if I told you my real username?

And really, if writers around here are having problems taking criticism, they'll have a hard time taking the inevitable criticism that will come after they get published. Even the best authors, OSC included, get it. And that's after they're published.

And no, I'm not Balthasar. Didn't even see that thread. Hmmm. What a coincidence.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Guessing from what I know of the main characters on this thread, and by eliminating those who have posted on the other thread, I can guess who you are. (I'm probably wrong. )

Do what you want. I don't really care enough about whether or not you wish to hide behind a screen name in order to protect someone else's feelings, though it is a nice thought.

Anyway, the whole point of this place is to help writing. If you think using this screen name will help achieve that goal, then go for it!

*back to novel*

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just speak your mind under your regular username? I hope that everyone is adult enough that they can respect your opinion without despising you. I doubt that fear of persecution would stop me from saying what I thought... Of course, I don't think I'm all THAT controversal.

Do what you like, but remember that the bad guys are usually the ones wearing the masks.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not Simon! I am not Simon! I'm surprise someone would even suggest that. Do you think I'd have a problem telling someone what I think?

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 30, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you're criticizing fairly and too the point, why would anyone despise that? My feelings are, "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!" I would rather have someone tell me how they really feel than pull any punches with me. You should always be truthful in your critique of someones work. If not, you aren't doing them any favors, or yourself. People will catch on soon enough and not trust what you are telling them. Especially if you feel you have to hide behind a double facade to do it. Speak your mind no matter what the situation, you'll be surprised how liberating it is. Just don't beat them over the head with personal jabs and insults, nothing good ever comes of that. The truth shouldn't hurt, just use it in a constructive way(if possible).
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you are--LOL based on smething "Simon" said in another thread--I know who it is.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I obviously lack your astute perception. Now I must scour the other threads until clues avail themselves to me.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You all obviously care far more than I do. I must now...um, lounge about and yawn.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
So are we answering this question seriously or playing a game of who's Simon? I vote for who's Simon, personally.

I, for one, don't care if you go around using pseudonyms. I have used more than one name on sites before (not here) with good effect although I must say that in this case I don't see the tpoin. I'm reminded of the Ender seires in which Peter uses two net names and has each one come at things from different angles. Now that was good effect. Here, bah.

Soo....who's Simon...I guess I'll have to go poking around for clues myself.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are only two people posting to this site. You know who you are. Everyone else is really just me.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, would you please delete the Simon account? Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Brinestone (edited March 30, 2004).]

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have a confession to make. I'm actually Survivor AND CCWBass AND Christine. Sorry I've been fooling you all this whole time.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Looking around for the puppeteer...

Wait...Survivor and me??????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 30, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

That's not true, that's impossible!

Search your feelings, Christine. You know it be true.

Christine
Member # 1646

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

<Jumps into seemingly bottomless bit that conveniently turns into a slide>

Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I have been trying to figure out who I am for almost 53 years....(tomorrow yeah!) So, since Simon knows who he/she is, he/she is one up on me and that entitles him/her to tell me what he/she thinks(really thinks) of my writing. I assume by the name that your comments will be witty and terse. I am looking forward to it.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me? (checks wallet). Nope, I'm not Simon.

Simon, I personally think you should feel free to critique honestly under your own name, but if it truly makes you uncomfortable, be Simon. It's a nice name.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, ask requested, I've made it so THIS Simon is persona non grata around here.

And I guess that means that the answer to this topic is "No, you shouldn't."

End of discussion.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

What was that show...The Rise and Fall of Somebody...or was it The Fall and Rise of...?

Anyway, some strange British comedy about a guy that is totally dissatisfied with his life, so he fakes his death at a company outing and then, after changing his identity a couple of times, comes back and marries his widow and joins the same company. I think that either before or after the incident he was named Richard, and afterwards he had permed his hair.

His wife, of course, knew he was the same man, but she didn't mind because she was a very loving wife and he was happier with his new identity. I suppose it was easy for her to say, since he convincingly demonstrated that he was really only dissatisfied with himself. I think that if I was married and my wife completely reinvented herself but still wanted to be married to me I should feel rather smug. Still, it was a very strange show.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hah! Google strikes again. The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin was the name of the show. Apparently my memory of the show differs from that of the BBC...or more likely they have simply failed to extract the true meaning of the story.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I considered it after the trouble I got in in the Catholic Tihing thread. But thinking about it it's not a good idea. Trying to maintain two persona's will probably end up making less of a person.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.