Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Please don't flog me!

Author Topic: Please don't flog me!
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
I needed some way of storing my progress on my story so I could bring it home from school to work on it at home. So im posting it here so I can copy it ot my home computer. Feel free to read it if you want.

*EDIT*- I got it.

[This message has been edited by Eric Sherman (edited May 11, 2004).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
You violated the 13-line rule! Flogging's too good for ya! We're gonna hafta string you up!

Seriously, though, there are better ways of accomplishing the data transfer, such as e-mailing the text to yourself.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
hotmail is free, ok touch anoying, but you only need a web browser to make it work....and I am pretty positive you have a web browser.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
hotmail.com
yahoo.com
go.com

these are the ones that I have free e-mail accounts from....but a search on yahoo came up with:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=free+e-mail+address&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

I had friends in college who went around trying to get as many e-mail addresses as they could. (They were a little nerdy, but still...) There are probably hundreds of ways to get free e-mail, and all of them are better ways of transporting stories than posting it here. In fact, I've used them in that capacity before.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo also has a "Notes" feature for storing, well, notes. You don't even have to send them to yourself; you can just access them by logging in to your Yahoo account.
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i am aware of those options. However, my school has a filter that blocks sites like those out. So I can't use them.
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Floppy disk?
CD-RW?
Paper?
tripod.com?

Rux
:}

[This message has been edited by teddyrux (edited May 11, 2004).]

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

My computer dosen't have a working floppy drive, my school dosen't have a CD burner avalible to students if we have at all, tripod and any other site of its type is also blocked and Paper would be rather tedious if i wanted to work on it there and at home. Copying it over and over would certainly grow to despise the story.

See, I did think this through first. I thank you all for being understanding. <grin>

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Whatever the limitations of your school's computers, I don't think this is the proper forum for doing a data transfer, and I would suggest that you find an alternative.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

If you are well and truly stumped for solutions, I could probably write a little CGI to give you some space on one of my websites where you could store and retrieve text.
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

That might in fact work. The main problem is the filter we have at my school block free webhosting. Me being a poor boy, i have no money to buy a host with. Thanks for the help in advance! Nice people DO exist online! <grin>

Eh...whats a CGI? Computer Generated Interface?

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
You could probably find a good private fourum where you are the only poster.

But now that you've got it, it would probably be safer to edit it away.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually considered doing the same very thing time-and-time again, so I empathize with Eric Sherman and cut him slack.
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Eric,

I've set up a web page for you to store text so you can transfer it between school and home. I e-mailed the details to the e-mail address in your Hatrack profile.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
that was nice, Erics gotta stick together I guess.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
For reference:

CGI = Common Gateway Interface, the oldest standard way of adding 'active' content to a web site.

Blocked webmail: I find a lot of the blocklists miss this one - http://www.hushmail.com/ although you'll need Java to work. It also has the advantage that everything is stored encrypted, so you know nobody else is reading your e-mail.

Free hosting: Again, almost never on a blocklist: http://www.dsvr.co.uk, look for their 'free VS20' link.

(Edit: damned posting script interpreted my comma after the URL as part of the URL...)

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited May 13, 2004).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
if I told you my real name was Eric Blair, would you do the same thing for me?
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

quote:
if I told you my real name was Eric Blair, would you do the same thing for me?

No. Because all Erics are equal, but some are more equal than others.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

If you really do need it, e-mail me.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, EJS.

I wish we could offer a service like that here, but since we can't it's great that there are those here who can offer it elsewhere.

Of course, it's such an unusual situation, that maybe that kind of need is really rare. At least, for the sake of all involved, I hope it's rare.

Again, thanks for coming to the rescue, EJS.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a USB FlashDrive. They're cool. Around forty dollars for 128 MEG. I keep my novel, email addies, text files, and a lot more, RIGHT ON MY KEYCHAIN! It's fun.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I can second the USB flash drive as a wonder-toy. I use mine (ok, it's my husbands but he shares) to back up my writing file (it is a 512 - got it for $80ish before they got popular and the prices went up). Also, if your school uses iMacs (and thus no floppy drives), this will help you get around the issue since they do have USB ports. When we got our iMacs (at school - we are strictly pc at home) I went and bought an LS120 drive, which was great, but the flash drive is more portable! Costco carries them.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Walmart too...they're everywhere.

[This message has been edited by JBShearer (edited May 13, 2004).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

Yes, I actuly own one, but my school isn't going to let me plug some forgien object into their computers. Their really paranoid about it.

Its touching that you guys are all so concerned. :-D

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.