Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Help the paranoid one: (me)

Author Topic: Help the paranoid one: (me)
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the answer is yes, but I have to find out for sure.

If I read about an event in someone's life, can I take that event, warp all the details et cetra, but use the basic core, and make a story out of it?

Thanks!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely NOT!

In other words, of course you can, but don't tell anyone that's what you did, and make sure that the original participants in the event(s) can't identify it and/or themselves.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
More specifically, I want to base a story around a cruel action that I read about. This cruel action is something quite bizzare and unique.

Could I still write about it?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you afraid that no matter how you disguise it, the connection will still be so obvious that you'll get sued, or something? It's hard to believe that anything could be quite that unique.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can. I'm sure you've seen the commercials for tv crime dramas where they say "Ripped from the headlines". If that's what you want to do, go for it. Just try to put your own unique touch to it so that it's different.

If you want to use an event that happened to you or someone you know, try to sanitize it so that the parties involved don't see themselves when they read it. That can become sticky.

So, yes you can do it. What you're asking is how good stories are developed. You take an idea and run with it. If the idea is something you read about in the news, or something somone said. I wrote a short story, not published, whose idea was sparked by seeing an RV. It was a sci-fi story.

Go for it and have fun.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
And then you put that disclaimer in:

All persons and events in this book are purely fictional and any similarities between them and persons in real life are purely accidental.

Or whatever it really says.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
This book is fiction. Any persons resembling the characters of this book should be ashamed of themselves.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read a short story called The Whimper of Whipped Dogs by Harlan Ellison. (In the compilation The American Fantasy Tradition, edited by Brian M. Thomsen). You probably remember some years ago the story of the brutal murder of a woman that was witnessed by dozens of residents who watched, listened, and did nothing. Ellison took this incident and wrote an amazing tale that makes these "unmakers" into worshipers of an ancient dark power. Read it, think about what these people might think of Ellison's portrayal of them, then I think you might have your answer. Just be sure, as rickfisher said, that your character inspirations can't identify themselves.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I one time chased my younger brother into the laundry room, where he attempted to hide inside the dryer.

So I held the door shut with my knee and slapped the on button...while the rest of my family was right there in the room, sorting out clothes.

That was pretty unique and cruel. And you are hereby allowed to write a story based on that event.

Therefore, the answer to your question is "yes."

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.