Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The nature of humour

Author Topic: The nature of humour
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
EJS said:
quote:
Human humor is generally based on incongruity of some sort. (That's probably a subject for a whole new thread.)

So here it is.

My understanding is that humour evolved from an instinctive communication system, designed to warn other proto-humans of impending danger. As we became more intelligent and able to communicate non-instinctively we had no use for this system, so it was subject to random evolution (!) for a long period of time, leading to what we have now.

And incongruity is a big part of it, yes. Probably because, to a less intelligent being, something incongruous is probably something dangerous.

I don't have any references to back any of this up, and I'm sure there are competing theories too. What do you reckon?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
At first blush, I would guess that it is more of a stress release mechanism than a warning of danger...but it also serves to indicate good humor

Seriously, our play instinct is closely tied to our sense of humor. Mammals need to play in order for the young to learn the adaptive skills needed for survival. Laughter serves as a signal that something is being done in jest. It also signals that anger isn't present. So to laugh about something is to indicate that it isn't dangerous...to the one laughing, at least

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Human humor? In comparison to what, ant humor?

Bad joke. I'm sorry.

I agree with Survivor, in part. Humor is a stress reliever, and it laughter does let all parties involved know that it isn't dangerous.

Rux

:}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you die laughing.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you think inappropriate laughter ties into this? I can remember being in situations, when I was younger, where I was in trouble and laughed at my mom. And I desperately did not want to.

Or the times when someone has an accident and one laughs even while being really worried about them?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
My seven-year-old suffers from that kind of nervous laughter, Mary. Her father scolds her and she cracks up, even as she's stammering apologies in wide-eyed horror. It used to make him really angry, until I explained to him that it is a stress releasing mechanism, over which children especially have little control.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Human humor? In comparison to what, ant humor?

The quote from me at the beginning is from a message in which I posited alien beings with a completely different basis for humor. That's why I had the qualifier "human" in there.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I recon (macro)evolution is a bunch of bunk. So I don't think humor evolved, at least not in that sense. My guess is we've always had it, though it shapes itself differently in different cultures, based on experiences common to those cultures.

It seems different things are funny in different ways. Irony can be funny. Allusion to previously funny situations. Sometimes just the unexpected.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
As regards "human humor", all mammals have a sense of play or "fun". Ants, quite naturally, do not have any such sense. But among mammals, every species has something that corresponds roughly to what we would think of as "smiling" or "laughing". These innate signals are necessary to allow "play", without which young animals would not know whether others felt genuinely threatened.

As a nice side effect, laughing does diffuse stress, by allowing an animal to not take a situation seriously.

This is one reason that we laugh at incongruity...faced with a situation that doesn't make sense taken seriously, we need to laugh. But we don't laugh only or even primarily at cognitive incongruity. We also laugh in relief when an apparent danger is past, or when we meet someone that we feel very comfortable around. We also deliberately laugh, to communicate consciously that we do not feel threatened.

Nervous laughter is an interesting example. Not only when danger has actually passed, but also when there is nothing that can be done about it, the laughter response will often be triggered. Thus "hysterical laughter" (which is not caused by the uterus, as was once thought) is frequently a response when someone is exposed to prolonged danger and can't do anything about it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think ants have a sense of humor, but it is totally incomprehensible to us. I've seen them running in circles for no reason.
I enjoy stupid jokes. The best thing in the world is when I find a fork in the road. (the kind you eat with. it's only happened twice.)
Thing that are dang funny to me seem to physically hurt other people.
For example this is my best joke, "Two guys walk into a bar, the bartender says 'hey I just washed that!'"

(oh dear I'm ranting)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.