Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do the BIC!

Author Topic: Do the BIC!
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Best writing advice ever? Use the butt in chair method. It works wonders. Wow.

Only an hour ago I was depressed about my work, wondering if I would ever finish it, and if it was any good. Production had been faltering over the past few days, though I had been pumping out a steady page per day.

Though not enough to make strong progress, a page per day is still headway.

Anyway, I decided enough is enough. I unplugged the internet.

And...!

I focused, got work done, and am now much more optomistic about my work. The air is cleaner. The water is, though I don't usually drink the raw stuff, purer. Birds are singing (in Asia, where it isn't night.).

Use the BIC. It works.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited June 02, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Preach, preacher!

He speaks the truth!

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Agreeing. About six months ago I was stalled on a book, and I decided it was time for a change. I started getting up an hour earlier and holding my internet hostage (actually pulling out the cable) until I'd done an hour. I don't always do this like I should, but if I'm working on a book it's 7 days a week. Definitely the only thing that gets me through something longer than 30 pages or so.
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Did it again today.

Worked splendidly.

BIC is the right way to go!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a good idea I'll have to try it right no####*#*#*#*#*#*&#*#*#&#*%%##*#&#%#*
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that I find that works is: sitting at a table with music in the background ( or walkman ) and start writing ( no distractions ). If I get stalled, I mull over what I just wrote ( and usually reread what I wrote ) and see if I can do anything to make it a little better. BTW, I never get near a TV or the puter when I write.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this might count as a writing sin or something, but I often write (okay, maybe not often, but at least sometimes) in front of the TV (on my computer. Double sin, for you, Monolith). I've written, in my opinion, some great stuff in front of some stupid mindless sitcom or music on MTV that I didn't even really like. My mind just operates like that. I need music or TV or some kind of distraction to keep me focussed. Doesn't make any more sense to me than it does to you, but that's how my brain functions.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's background noise (ambient action, not simply sound). I function the same way. If it's dead silent and nothing is going on around me, it just feels weird, and I start trying to find things to occupy my mind. If I have that noise I get stuff done. There is definitely a limit, though.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in a house with five other kids, all of them older than me, so there was rarely a time when there was silence. It unnerves me. I cannot write when there is silence. I usually turn on the tv to something boring. Or play some music.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.