Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Convetion etiquette--Comic Con

Author Topic: Convetion etiquette--Comic Con
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question, and I hope there are a few others a little better versed than me.

Comic-Con is next weekend, and I just happen to live in San Diego. And, I just happen to be trying to sell a book. For those of you who don't know, Comic-Con is one of the BIGGEST conventions in the world.

Well, what is the etiquette for an author at a convention.

1. What are the best terms to approach publishers with? A business card? First three chapters? Manuscript on disk? Hardcopy? Nothing at all?

2. Would personal approaches by my agent be better?

3. Me and my agent?

4. How do you approach an editor that's been in phone contact with your agent, has a submission of yours, but hasn't "got around" to evaluating it? How do you approach one that's read your work?

5. Any other tips?

I know a lot of this seems like its common sense, but I do believe I've heard that there is etiquette behind it. Anybody know any good website references???

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Business card is good. Editors do not want to load their luggage up with manuscripts or even parts of manuscripts.

Have you asked your agent about this? If the agent knows any of the editors, see if the agent can set up a meeting, maybe even a meal together. At the very least, the agent could introduce you to the editor.

A good thing to do for homework is to find out what works the editors edited and say something complimentary about them. (You may need to find out which editors are going to be there, and then find out what they've edited. You may also need a scorecard or a cheat sheet, to make sure you don't get one editor confused with another and offend the editor you are talking to.)

Best thing is to make yourself known to an editor, and then when you send something, you can refer in your cover letter to having met the editor.

As for approaching one that's read your work, you could introduce yourself and thank them for reading your work.

The idea is to make contact, keep it short and sweet, and unless you have arranged in advance to take up some of the editor's time, leave it at that. Editors use big conventions to conduct business and they appreciate people who make it easy for them to do that.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.