Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Weeds

Author Topic: Weeds
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people's minds are a lot like ecosystems.
When we are born we think only in concepts -- fertile soil. As we learn language, words spring-up, they decorate and beautify the mind, creating environments and little micro-ecosystems.

But then we hear something, a word or a cliche, a phrase and it so hardy, so robust, so forceful... It expresses an idea with clarity and economy.
You use it everywhere, but you start to notice it everywhere too. It invades the creeks and roadsides of the collective unconscious. It becomes a weed.

Question: Is there anything you have noticed emerging in sci-fi and fantasy with such rapidity that you are sure it will become a weed?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited August 27, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
"Real" adventures in Virtual Reality, with consequences that will affect the real world, are weeds. This isn't exactly the plot of the old Disney movie Tron, but it seems a million hack sci-fi writers saw Tron and got the same bad idea.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the end of the world! Unless...[enter miracle here]!

Independence Day
    Armageddon
    Deep Impact

There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind. While they are all done relatively well, I'm just not a fan of the theme. Somehow the hero pulls it off and saves the world from almost certain doom.

Let me get out a bag of Cheese Puffs.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
War of the Worlds
Space Cowboys
Any James Bond movie

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
To expand on the earlier metaphor:

Not all weeds are ugly. In fact some are quite beautiful to look at. The problem with weeds is that they are so plentiful and difficult to control.

In general, we tend to put a higher value on things that are rare or fleeting. Gold and brass look similar, but we value gold more. Roses and daisies are both beautiful flowers, but we value roses more.

The same can be said about stories. Story lines that put a fresh spin on an idea go on to become clasics, whereas recycled storylines can be entertaining but generally lack staying power.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Clueless Brittish guys. (Hitchhiker's Guide, Neverwhere, Children of Men, etc.)

Although this one might be queen anne's lace.....

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Worth the Wait
Member # 2155

- posted      Profile for Worth the Wait   Email Worth the Wait         Edit/Delete Post 
The Terminator movies.

The group of rogue, yet ultimately good and "moral", people out to either a) resurrect a dead civilization, b) protect civilization from itself, or c) any combination of the two.
(Firefly, Andromeda, Babylon 5, etc) (Though all three had their moments, mind! ) <><

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a lover of Arthurian stories. But if I have to read ONE MORE from Merlin's POV...
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! To me, those are fast becoming weeds.

And what am I doing? I'm reading another one--recommended by hoptoad, which is quite good, but because it's written in Merlin's POV (again) I just can't bring myself to get very excited about it. If only I'd discovered Robert Holdstock first. <sigh>

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.